Recommended Non-Science Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

1. Any suggestions for interesting non-science courses?

The only thing I can think of is abnormal psychology and life-span development. I would like more options to choose from and don't know where to look for those "must-takes" for every pre-med.

2. Also, Is abnormal psych LoR considered a science or non-science LoR? I

EDIT: by no means should it have to be relevant in any way to pre-med.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ethics, sociology, psych, philosophy.

Ab. psych = non-sci

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Statistics, even if you took AP stats just take it again. Or take biostats.

Second to whoever said Spanish. The earlier you start, the happier you will be by far. Language acquisition takes time.

I'm going to go completely off the wall and say any intro to acting class. If there's one thing I learned throughout med school and beyond is how effective you are is intrinsically linked to how you construct your speech and your body emotions.

In the ER I have to use the entire spectrum of emotions all day long and switch between them frequently. Obviously, you want to be as genuine and compassionate as possible. However, being able to switch between roles such as caregiver and leader is a skill in itself.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Take a language you are interested in and actually learn it. I hate Spanish. Can't stand it. Thanks for the memories, highschool.

But I minored in a language and practiced so much outside of class that I'm pretty conversationally fluent. It has come in handy many times.

Do Spanish if you don't hate it. It's so useful. Otherwise, maybe Mandarin or Arabic.

Take something that interests you. That could be language, ice hockey, music, history of underwater basket weaving, anything really.

If you are not an engineering major, lot of schools have liberal arts courses requirements. Please check that first.

Sociology was super interesting, not too difficult, and helpful for P/S MCAT section too!