recommended PCAT book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbixtreme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a good PCAT book beside Kaplan PCAT 2008-2009. Any book would be okay, as long as it prepares you well for the real test.

I have many friends recommended to buy MCAT, but what do you guys think. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DON'T get the Barron book "How to Prepare for the PCAT," it sucks. It has much easier questions than are on the actual exam.

MCAT book will prepare you well for the reading comprehension and verbal(actually MCAT is a bit harder compared to PCAT). But yes, don't get the Barron's book, it was too easy compared to the real thing.

[moved to PCAT section]

i used the examkrackers mcat prep set as an alternative to the kaplan pcat prep

DON'T get the Barron book "How to Prepare for the PCAT," it sucks. It has much easier questions than are on the actual exam.
i agree. it's a complete waste of money (the math section is a JOKE)

Members don't see this ad :)
but wasn't there someone on here that said barron was really good? the 2006 version? I know its not "how to prepare for pcat" or it could be the same.

are there any differences between mcat and pcat? Someone told me that pcat requires calculus II and anatomy. I graduated already, but i did not take cal II and anatomy while i was in school. now i want to apply for pharmacy schools. Do you think i should go for it?

Honestly, the new Barron's book that I bought had Geometry on it. Like how misinformed could it be??

Don't bother...by the way...does anyone want it???

Could anyone recommend a good PCAT book beside Kaplan PCAT 2008-2009. Any book would be okay, as long as it prepares you well for the real test.

I have many friends recommended to buy MCAT, but what do you guys think. Thanks

I'm just curious, what's wrong with the new Kaplan PCAT book? I heard that this book prepares you well. Im actually using it right now. I also have taken the MCATs before (w/Princeton). So I have all those books. I was comparing the information between the two, and the MCATs go wayy more into detail than the Kaplan.

i didn't think the kaplan book was helpful when it came to the math or biology section. You need to study additional textbooks on the topics they briefly covered. As for more practice on other sections, look at other books too!

I am using the kaplan book 2008. The kaplan book gives a decent review of topics. I am also using the pcat destroyer which I recently purchased. I am using that primarily for studying for the exam. I would recommend purchasing the exam crackers guide for the verbal section. Hope this helps!

For studying the bio, chem, and math questions I'm using the PCAT destroyer which I am finding very helpful and as for the verbal I'm using the MCAT exam crackers which I have heard gives good results for PCAT test takers.
Good luck

The PCAT math section used to be very different. I'm guessing the Barrons book may have been geared towards the old math section which was over half fractions, decimals, long division, and other basic math that you would need to do quickly and accurately in your head as a pharmacist. IMO the new PCAT does the profession a disservice by failing to screen out people who suck at basic math.