Recommended Post Bac for the not so financially blessed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HopefulMDStuden

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been researching a few post bacc pre med programs such as UPenn, JHU, Goucher, and Columbia so far. I am wondering if anyone has some tips to give me while searching for the program that is right for me.

While looking at Goucher I read that students cannot work while in school. I'm most positive I will have to work while in school in order to afford housing and living costs. I'm hoping to earn certification as a personal trainer within the next year or so and utilize that as my job. Any thoughts on where I'd be able to handle curriculum and job?

I'm kinda trying to get ahead of the game, as I am in my Junior year of Undergrad. I have a 3.95 as a Math Major.

Thanks for the help!
 
I've been researching a few post bacc pre med programs such as UPenn, JHU, Goucher, and Columbia so far. I am wondering if anyone has some tips to give me while searching for the program that is right for me.

While looking at Goucher I read that students cannot work while in school. I'm most positive I will have to work while in school in order to afford housing and living costs. I'm hoping to earn certification as a personal trainer within the next year or so and utilize that as my job. Any thoughts on where I'd be able to handle curriculum and job?

I'm kinda trying to get ahead of the game, as I am in my Junior year of Undergrad. I have a 3.95 as a Math Major.

Thanks for the help!

Why are you wasting time/money buy applying to Post-Baccs if you have a 3.95? Do well on your MCAT and go straight to MD/DO school.
 
Why are you wasting time/money buy applying to Post-Baccs if you have a 3.95? Do well on your MCAT and go straight to MD/DO school.


haha...well i figured i shouldn't try and skip around, but do things the correct way and, since ill have only had physics, take the prereqs and prepare for the mcat through a post bacc program...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha...well i figured i shouldn't try and skip around, but do things the correct way and, since ill have only had physics, take the prereqs and prepare for the mcat through a post bacc program...


Oh I see, I misunderstood. I thought you were a Math Pre-Med.

I think a lot of people here will suggest/agree that you might be better off doing an extra year of undergrad devoted to completing pre-med requirements. It would probably be a lot cheaper that way and you wouldn't have to relocate, pay for application fees, etc.
 
Upenn is pricey - $2500 a class

You can def work and structure your classes around things tho - all classes are at night which makes getting day jobs easier (you can take day classes with the undergrads if you want, but its more $$$ and harder to get the waiver to get into their classes)
 
stony brook is cheap, especially if you happen to be from ny. and they dont make you retake any pre-med classes in case you already have a few under your belt.
 
stony brook is cheap, especially if you happen to be from ny. and they dont make you retake any pre-med classes in case you already have a few under your belt.

Unfortunately I'm from Ohio and I haven't found there to be many good programs in state...

Common Man...what do you mean by Harvard extensions exactly?
 
Harvard is great - the typical class is $1,150 and 4 credits (said without double-checking, but I am taking classes, and I think that's what I've paid.) Just FYI - the Health Careers Program (HCP) accepts any qualified (has bachelors degree) person who applies, so don't stress over getting in. That doesn't mean it's easy, though, and obviously they won't sponsor your application unless you make the grade.

One drawback with Harvard, if you have to relocate - it's an extremely expensive area. But, so are some other areas and if you're comparing HES to moving to another expensive area and paying much more in tuition, then it's a bargain.
 
I would imagine working would be difficult at any formal one year post-bac. One of my classmates tried to work regularly, but she ended up leaving the program. Goucher (and probably other formal postbacs) factors in cost of living for loans. It's tough but do-able.
 
Wow, Harvard tuition wise sounds great...unfortunately I've already had Physics which would prevent be from being eligible for the Diploma in Premedical Studies there.
 
Wow, Harvard tuition wise sounds great...unfortunately I've already had Physics which would prevent be from being eligible for the Diploma in Premedical Studies there.

it's open enrollment so you can go in and take any course you want. i'm not too familiar with the program but i wonder...can you just take those courses, do well, and get them to sponsor you? what's the difference? or...would your school where you got your BA sponsor you even if you take 28 credits at hes? you should call them up and ask. btw, boston is a great city...not that you'd care with all those classes 😛
 
it's open enrollment so you can go in and take any course you want. i'm not too familiar with the program but i wonder...can you just take those courses, do well, and get them to sponsor you? what's the difference? or...would your school where you got your BA sponsor you even if you take 28 credits at hes? you should call them up and ask. btw, boston is a great city...not that you'd care with all those classes 😛

You don't need the diploma in order to gain sponsorship - to be honest, I'm not really sure what the benefit of the diploma is. I'm also ineligible for it since I had a semester of chem and a semester of bio in college. There are two separate things - the pre-medical diploma, and the Health Career Program (HCP). You can do both of them, but you could also just do one or other other (although I'm not sure why you'd do the diploma without doing HCP) and I think that actually, most people who do HCP do it without pursuing the diploma. Look at the website and read about HCP and sponsorship:

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

Basically, you apply, pay your $100 fee, and you are part of the "Health Career Program." (There is a fairly active student society... sign-up sheets are passed around each semester... so you can get to know your fellow students and participate in social functions, etc..) Then, you take a certain minimum number of classes from a list of "medical sciences" classes - this number is dependent upon your undergrad GPA, and of course, practically-speaking, you need to take as many as you need to meet med school admissions requirement. (See the sponsorship link - a number of classes, including upper-level electives, count. Your options for classes are not just limited to those that you must complete if you want the diploma.)

Then, you check in with HCP once a semester. If you complete the required number of courses satisfactorily (B or above, I think) you may apply for sponsorship. This is $500, but from what I hear, it's well worth it and the Harvard sponsorship is valuable.

Just a note - I did not know this was the case, but I have been informed that you are eligible for Stafford loans if you are a half-time student in the Health Careers Program (even if you're not pursuing the diploma) even though it's not a degree-granting program. This would not be the case if you were just taking classes but not formally affiliated with the Health Careers Program.

Oh, and I suppose if you were a recent college grad, maybe your undergrad institution would sponsor you. But why would you want to do that? The Harvard recommendation carries some weight, and since the sponsorship includes a summary recommendation with excerpts from your profs there, it seems like this would be the most relevant sponsorship.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't need the diploma in order to gain sponsorship - to be honest, I'm not really sure what the benefit of the diploma is. I'm also ineligible for it since I had a semester of chem and a semester of bio in college. There are two separate things - the pre-medical diploma, and the Health Career Program (HCP). You can do both of them, but you could also just do one or other other (although I'm not sure why you'd do the diploma without doing HCP) and I think that actually, most people who do HCP do it without pursuing the diploma. Look at the website and read about HCP and sponsorship:

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

...


That's some great information lizzo76, thanks! I will definitely look into it. Do you know if they offer any MCAT prep classes? I was really interested in some Post Bac programs and how they worked to prepare you for the MCAT.

And Happy Holidays!
 
Sorry, for some reason, all throughout my post above I kept referring to the "Health Career Program," and then once I caught that, SDN wouldn't let me edit the post again. Health Careers Program.

I don't think they offer MCAT prep courses, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen/heard anything about it. I'm sure classes are probably offered on-campus, though, but maybe not through HCP. There is a (LONG) thread on here about the program, and you might want to post this question there.