Recommended Private Loan Services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to hear reviews/feedback on private loan servicers. I do NOT have the option of a cosigner. Credit score circa 600 but perfect payment history.

Particularly interested in reviews of "Ascent" if anyone's used them. I've heard Sallie Mae requires a high credit score so I'm shying away from them.

If you've used a private loan provider, looking for feedback like:
-What's your credit score like and were you able to qualify without a cosigner?
-Are the terms reasonable?
-Did you get the amount you needed/requested?
-How is it dealing with the company?

Yes, I'll be utilizing Federal and Grad Plus Loans first. I will still need some more beyond that given a dependent and the fact that my chosen school's COA allocation for living expenses are unreasonable given housing costs in that area. And yes I am applying for scholarships. Just looking for feedback on reputable private loan services before I fill out any apps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Following.
Curious - your flare says medical student - have you reached a point where you're trying to get some extra cushion during rotations or something? Do you feel like your school's COA wasn't reasonable for your needs thus far? Really looking for insider perspective on this, the med school advisors are super-sweet and trying their best to point me toward resources but their knowledge level is such that they thought we could get subsidized loans for med school. Suffice to say they aren't entirely in the loop.

EDIT - sorry nvm, just saw your signature, so we are in the same boat! Gonna DM you.

Reactions: 1 user
Curious - your flare says medical student - have you reached a point where you're trying to get some extra cushion during rotations or something? Do you feel like your school's COA wasn't reasonable for your needs thus far? Really looking for insider perspective on this, the med school advisors are super-sweet and trying their best to point me toward resources but their knowledge level is such that they thought we could get subsidized loans for med school. Suffice to say they aren't entirely in the loop.
No, I start in July. my school offers a decent amount but I want to know if there is any other loan providers just in case. Having kids and a wife that plans on being at home to take care of the kids so I can study is kinda making the money situation a little skimpy haha. Just want to make sure we have enough if the time ever comes.