Recommended Radiology Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

St3phni

Midwestern University CVM c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a second year veterinary student looking to pursue a specialty in Radiology. Although I still have a year, I'm trying to research which radiology rotations are recommended, including any locations for future internships. Do any upperclassmen have any suggestions on rotations to either put on my radar or to avoid? Thank you so much in advance! ^-^

Members don't see this ad.

I did a few externships with radiologists at VCA SouthPaws (one during a summer and one during 4th year). As a 4th year I also did NCSU's ultrasound and UPenn's small animal radiology rotations as an extern. When I was researching it seemed like Mizzou had some cool rotation options for imaging but I didn't have an opportunity to go. I did my 4th year at University of Tennessee and loved their radiology rotation. It was harder than what I've seen of radiology rotations at other places (people failing the rotation is not unheard of), but I learned so much because they put a lot of emphasis on radiograph interpretation. I'm not sure if they take externs for it though.

Thank you so much for these leads! I'll look into them :) Is there a difference between a rotation and extern? I had thought those were the same thing but I could be wrong :unsure:.

Thank you so much for these leads! I'll look into them :) Is there a difference between a rotation and extern? I had thought those were the same thing but I could be wrong :unsure:.
A rotation is taken at a teaching hospital under a set timeline in accordance with their students schedules. Externship is the general term for a rotation you take somewhere that isn't your teaching hospital, whether that's at a private practice or another vet school. Other schools may not have externs come through for specific rotations, it's school and department dependent.
Usually rotations at other schools are considered elective like any other externship, but sometimes it can count towards graduation requirements. This depends a lot on the schools involved if they allow that or not. My school calls these RoAI (rotation at another institution)

Reactions: 1 users