Recommended school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkPurpleBlue

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE
cGPA
: 3.89
sGPA: 3.69
MCAT: 509 (127/128/127/127)
Michigan Resident
White
Oakland University
Clinical Experience:
I worked as a medical assistant at an allergy clinic (performed various allergy tests and did injections) and acquired around 350 hours of work. This was during undergrad. Now, I am working as a medical assistant in a cardiology clinic (I perform patient intake and EKG's, scribe, and train new employees). I have about 600 hours of experience working there currently, and I anticipate over 1000 hours of clinical experience in total by May. I am also going to continue working here until school starts (I work about 32 hours/week), so I anticipate that the hours will grow significantly.
Research Experience:
I have about 135 hours of experience working in a research lab. I have no publications.
Shadowing Experience:
23 hours total-
10 hours shadowing a gynecologic oncologist in the OR ( I scrubbed into some surgeries as well)
8 hours shadowing an ob/gyn in clinic
5 hours shadowing in cath lab
I know this number is pretty low, but I am currently working on setting up shadowing with a primary care physician or pediatrician (or both if possible).
Non-clinical volunteering:
75 hours volunteering for a program that aims to improve the lives of people with autism. I worked directly with people of all ages in various programs.
60 hours total volunteering to teach pre-k 3 students at my church (this is something I am doing currently).
I anticipate having 135 hours total for volunteering by May. I feel like this number is low, but it is split amongst two programs that I am really passionate about, so I am not sure if that helps. I am not sure if I should try for another volunteering opportunity.
Other Extracurricular activities:
I was a TA for the anatomy lab for 3 semesters (about 140 hours total). I would teach lecture material directly off of cadavers and participated in 2 dissections.
I currently tutor for anatomy lab (my flyer for tutoring is advertised by the same professor I used to TA for). This is a newer endeavor of mine, so I only have 14 hours of direct tutoring. However, I'd estimate that I've spent an additional 10 hours preparing lessons, and I anticipate several more hours for tutoring in general in the future.
I served as the vice president of a student organization and would estimate about 40 hours in this activity.
Additional Information:
I am currently working as a paid employee for the program that aims to help people with autism. This is the same program I have listed above as a volunteer experience. I enjoyed volunteering there a lot, so I applied for a position that has more responsibility and oversees other volunteers. I only have about 26 hours of work currently, but it only runs once a week for a couple hours and is seasonal.
I also enjoy drawing a lot and have devoted around 75 hours to this hobby.
Schools I am interested in:
I want to apply to all the schools in state (MI). I was also thinking Ohio state, Rush, Penn state, university of toledo, and university of cincinatti? I have MSAR and have been creating a list, but I am trying to be careful of schools that have strong preference for in-state applicants. I was hoping for suggestions of schools, and I would look into them more on MSAR. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You know your weaknesses (shadowing & non-clinical volunteering), so concentrate on those before you apply. You should try to get to at least 150-200 hours of non-clinical volunteering; more is better. It seems a bit odd that you're volunteering in the same facility that you're employed at. Maybe not. "Dirty" non-clinical volunteering would be better for you (like homeless shelters, food kitchens).

You will need to apply broadly. Your stats are a bit low for OSU and Cincinnati, and Rush will like to see more service hours than you have. Are you ok with applying to DO schools? Others (@Goro , @Faha , @chilly_md ) can chime in, but you should continue to investigate on your own. LizzyM, WARS, & a newer one (admit.org) are schemes used to craft school lists appropriate to ones application.

You'll need to spin a narrative about "why medicine." Is autism part of that? This is important.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
You know your weaknesses (shadowing & non-clinical volunteering), so concentrate on those before you apply. You should try to get to at least 150-200 hours of non-clinical volunteering; more is better. It seems a bit odd that you're volunteering in the same facility that you're employed at. Maybe not. "Dirty" non-clinical volunteering would be better for you (like homeless shelters, food kitchens).

You will need to apply broadly. Your stats are a bit low for OSU and Cincinnati, and Rush will like to see more service hours than you have. Are you ok with applying to DO schools? Others (@Goro , @Faha , @chilly_md ) can chime in, but you should continue to investigate on your own. LizzyM, WARS, & a newer one (admit.org) are schemes used to craft school lists appropriate to ones application.

You'll need to spin a narrative about "why medicine." Is autism part of that? This is important.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks for responding. I could see why it's odd that I would volunteer and work in one place... I wasn't clear on this, so my apologies! I started as a volunteer for the program. However, I no longer volunteer there now that I have a paid position. I was so passionate about the program that I wanted more responsibility. Autism is definitely part of the reason for "why medicine..." I just have to find the words to explain how those two passions intersect.
I am also open to applying to DO schools, I could post in that forum separately if needed... I am not sure how these forums work necessarily, I am new!
And thanks for the tips, I figured that is what I needed to do but wanted some more opinions!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also open to applying to DO schools, I could post in that forum separately if needed...
No, don't cross post. The nerds, like me, who inhabit this place will find your post.

Be prepared to answer, "Why don't you go into Clinical Psychology or Social Work to help those with Autism?"

Reactions: 2 users
Your clinical experience is good. Non-clinical volunteering is very weak. Teaching kids at church isn’t really serving the underserved and doing a little bit of anatomy tutoring doesn’t warrant a slot on AMCAS.

Would recommend volunteering at a food bank, homeless shelter, women’s shelter, soup kitchen etc and get 200 hours before applying.

Agreed that Ohio state and Cincinnati are unreasonable with your stats as an OOS applicant. Other OH schools like Toledo are mostly in-state and save spots for students who graduated high school there.

I suggest:
All MI schools sans U of M
Vermont
Hackensack
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Tufts
MCW
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Nova MD
Belmont
Tulane
TCU

For DO:
Michigan State
PCOM
LECOM
DMU
Marian
NYIT
KCU
KCOM (Kirksville)

Your clinical experience is good. Non-clinical volunteering is very weak. Teaching kids at church isn’t really serving the underserved and doing a little bit of anatomy tutoring doesn’t warrant a slot on AMCAS.

Would recommend volunteering at a food bank, homeless shelter, women’s shelter, soup kitchen etc and get 200 hours before applying.

Agreed that Ohio state and Cincinnati are unreasonable with your stats as an OOS applicant. Other OH schools like Toledo are mostly in-state and save spots for students who graduated high school there.

I suggest:
All MI schools sans U of M
Vermont
Hackensack
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Tufts
MCW
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Nova MD
Belmont
Tulane
TCU

For DO:
Michigan State
PCOM
LECOM
DMU
Marian
NYIT
KCU
KCOM (Kirksville)
Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. The list is very helpful too! I will be looking into these!

Here is a more realistic school list (and get in more service to others less fortunate than you. I wouldn't be improessed by your service to your church; you're supposed to be a good church members. What we like to see if you helping others less fortunate than you, you getting out of your comfort zone, and also working with people who don't look like you).

Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Gtown
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Your state school(s), except for U MI

Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a more realistic school list (and get in more service to others less fortunate than you. I wouldn't be improessed by your service to your church; you're supposed to be a good church members. What we like to see if you helping others less fortunate than you, you getting out of your comfort zone, and also working with people who don't look like you).

Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Gtown
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Your state school(s), except for U MI

Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Hi thank you for your feedback! I am looking into another volunteer option currently. And I appreciate the list, I will be looking into these!

Non-clinical volunteering:
75 hours volunteering for a program that aims to improve the lives of people with autism. I worked directly with people of all ages in various programs.
60 hours total volunteering to teach pre-k 3 students at my church (this is something I am doing currently).
I anticipate having 135 hours total for volunteering by May. I feel like this number is low, but it is split amongst two programs that I am really passionate about, so I am not sure if that helps. I am not sure if I should try for another volunteering opportunity.
I think it can't hurt you to add an additional opportunity that works with a different population in a different way. Given that you have a baseline number of clinical experience hours and minimal research experience, showing a strong commitment to serve others outside of a clinical role or other "membership requirements" will help you. (Membership requirements example: being part of a church, fair or unfair.)

Typical examples include food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

Note: I am aware it's not easy to "teach" pre-K kids for Sunday school... probably just as challenging if parents are "helping" you. Highlight though: you must have received training regarding proper interactions with children. Also, I don't automatically disparage the SES of parents who go to church... not all churches are located in very affluent neighborhoods. But that characterization is going to be on you. Just realize many will discount activities where you are serving other members of your church (like being part of choir, Sunday school teaching, community building) as community service in the way it is defined by AAMC previously... alleviating others' distress.

On other health professions: why are you not interested in speech/language pathology? (We have a forum for that.) You probably know that they work very closely with young autistic patients/children.

Last edited: