Recommended Study Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my PGY 3 year and I really want to get a good study schedule in place. I have heard a lot of things, read 1 paper a day, read perez, etc. What i am looking for is something that IS NOT TEXTBOOK based. Props to you folks who cruise through the textbooks...not my style. For ex. Week 1: Early stage Breast Ca: Mon-review HEBRO chapter, Tuesday, read paper A, Wed, read paper B, etc. Does anyone's program give them a recommended study schedule to follow? Or anyone have one that has worked for them?

Also, ARRO used to have the Must Know Papers on their site but looks like that isn't there on the new one. I know wikibook has a boat load but that is pretty extensive.. does anyone have a must know list they could share? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a textbook person either. I'm also just about to take written clinicals, so can't 100% endorse my study method. However, I think a study schedule is low-yield. My personal belief is to just read based on the cases you see. Prepare for didactics and other conferences. It's hard enough just to do that, much less adding on an extraneous schedule which may not line up with the service you are on and patients you are seeing. I think if you just read based on your patients you will end up covering ~90% of what you need to know and you will retain it better. Fill in the gaps during the last few months of PGY5 as you prepare for boards. If you have extra time after doing the above, better spent trying to publish crap to help you in a couple years as you look for jobs. Just my 2 cents.