1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Recovery...

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by 146233, Apr 23, 2007.

1. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    So...

In 1998, I matriculated as a freshman at Penn State University, all eager to do my pre-med courses and go to medical school. (Wanted to be an ER doc.. and no, not because of the show.) Apparently, I was a little overwhelmed by my newfound independence and didn't got to class much, did homework even less. The only exception were the EMT/EMS related classes I took there for credit - got an A in each one. After two semesters there, I wound up with an eye-popping 1.68 cumulative GPA. Surprisingly, I was not put on academic probation or warning. I chose to take a (again -- voluntary) leave of absence to figure out what the hell my problem was before I did more irreparable damage to my transcript.

Coming home, I took a smaller course load at the local community college, getting A's in Biology and Chemistry (which I failed or got D's in before) and completed paramedic school all while working part time in a grocery store. In 2001, I was working as a Network Engineer for a law firm and decided I needed to complete a degree in -something-. I enrolled at Loyola University Chicago and graduated in 2004 magna cum laude with a B.S. in Criminal Justice (cum. 3.76) and all the lovely honors that go with it. Clearly, maturity was the only obstacle to getting excellent grades.

Thinking Criminology was what I was supposed to do, I enrolled in an M.A. program at U of Illinois-Chicago. I completed the program in three semesters with a 3.7 GPA and the highest grade on the comprehensive exam they've seen in 5 years. The entire time I was in graduate school, I was working two jobs (Teaching Assistant during the day, paramedic at night). Working as a medic/EMS Instructor really reminded me what I loved about medicine, and I decided that I really needed to give an M.D. another shot.

After graduation, I signed up for Loyola's post-bac pre-health program. I'm about to complete it (having worked 48 hours each week at night throughout) with a 3.63 science GPA and 3.73 overall. I'm the president of the Post-Bac Organization and have great LORs, and tons of clinical/volunteer experiences.

I know my PSU and comm. college grades will affect my AMCAS GPA, but what do you think my chances are? My MCAT practice tests have been 31-34 pretty consistently, and I'm waiting for results from the April 7th test. Assuming that goes well, do I have a shot at some allopathic schools?

My goal, in the end, is to practice medicine one way or another. As such, I will definitely apply broadly and to DO schools as well. ...but I'm looking for your gut feelings on my allo chances.

Thanks,
    -z

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Skellington

Skellington New Member
    5+ Year Member

Are you kidding me? You are like the poster child of medical school successful admissions!

Come back when your first 50 units of undergrad GPA is 0.87! :)

EDIT: On second thought it's not clear by your description what your total AMCAS GPA will be and you didn't give your MCAT score, but even without knowing those things you sound like a likely admit to me.

steven

4. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    Steven,

Thanks! I'm encouraged by your words. I don't have my MCAT score yet -- so all I can go on is my 31-34's in practice tests for now. I haven't done the AMCAS GPA worksheet yet, mostly because I'm too nervous to know what it is. I'm hoping that AdComs will see the gap between my grades in 1999ish and from 2001-present.

-z