Recruiting tactics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hulkbuster333

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else been told to go into other pharmacies and try to recruit (steal) techs? I think it's kind of shady.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else been told to go into other pharmacies and try to recruit (steal) techs? I think it's kind of shady.

IMO - I would say you would be better off talking to the the RPh there first and see if they knew of anyone looking for a job.. to me, it’s disrespectful to walk in there and try to steal one of their techs - especially if they’re already short staffed..

The last thing you ( I ) want to do is have another pharmacy (pharmacist) pissed off at you ( me ) because all you ( I ) try to do is steal their good help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO - I would say you would be better off talking to the the RPh there first and see if they knew of anyone looking for a job.. to me, it’s disrespectful to walk in there and try to steal one of their techs - especially if they’re already short staffed..

The last thing you ( I ) want to do is have another pharmacy (pharmacist) pissed off at you ( me ) because all you ( I ) try to do is steal their good help..

That's how I feel about it but this is what my DM is telling us to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most technicians have other friends that are technicians - have you tried asking them if they know of anyone looking?

How’s the pay / benefits at your store versus the others? Why would someone want to work there?

What about pharmacy tech interns for the meantime?

Most technicians have other friends that are technicians - have you tried asking them if they know of anyone looking?

How’s the pay / benefits at your store versus the others? Why would someone want to work there?

Honestly, I was just checking to see if there are any other people being told to steal techs. I'm not recruiting techs through this forum or asking for advice.

It's very common in retail (pharmacy and non-pharmacy) to 'pouch' from other retail stores. And most DMs will put it a little nicer than "go to other pharmacies and steal their techs" lol. I have no idea if it is common in non-pharmacy settings, although my LTC site doesn't engage in active pouching.

Also your DM doesn't really care if you steal techs or not, all they care about is if you have the bare minimum amount of help to not lose business, so if you are not comfortable recruiting from other pharmacies (I never have) then just come up with your own strategy to get more techs. The DM is probably thinking that other retail techs will require less training and have a good idea of what the job entails but if you prefer to train people from scratch no DM is going to stop you.

That's how I feel about it but this is what my DM is telling us to do.

If you are short on techs the DM should be raising the tech wag to motivate more people to come apply for the job. Supply and demand. Not what ultimately amounts to trespassing into other pharmacy to try to poach techs.

Not a good idea for small business owners. Techs that know each other will freely trade information with one another and if you terminate one tech, you've basically terminated your other tech. Likewise, if one tech quits out of nowhere the other tech may resign unexpectedly too.

Reactions: 1 user