Rectus Sheath block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sonny Crocket

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone do these for umbilical hernia repair? I know that you are supposed to inject into the posterior fascia of the rectus abdominus. But it is a bit scary going that deep with the bowel right underneath.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tap blocks work well for umbilical hernia repairs. I prefer a 4 quadrant technique to make sure there is analgesia above the umbilicus.

Rectus Sheath blocks which are single shot only last 6 hours. I don’t think single shot Rectus Sheath blocks are worth the trouble.
 
Anyone do these for umbilical hernia repair? I know that you are supposed to inject into the posterior fascia of the rectus abdominus. But it is a bit scary going that deep with the bowel right underneath.

The trick is to enter the skin a good distance away from your US probe with a long needle, this way your angle of entry is shallow and you easily slide your way into the space deep to the rectus without going too deep.