Recyling AAMC tests, how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking MCAT for the second time on Jan 28th. But I am wondering how to reuse those AAMC tests I used.

I did well on science sections (both above average of accepted applicants), but did not do well on verbal, because I messed up timing.

So far, I have these "unused" materials.

(1) EK verbal 101
(2) all GS FLs
(3) AAMC 10 and 11
(4) BR science phase III passages

I took AAMC 3 to 9 and was able to improve my science scores to double digits, and I wonder how to reuse them. Should I just ignore them? If I ignore them are these unused ones enough? I need to repurchase these exams because I used them through my kaplan account.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what I do with old stuff and you can take it or leave it. I retake each test and really dig in deep to find out why a problem was asked, why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. After retakeing the test if I got problems wrong for a second time I dig to find out why. If there is a content weakness I burn out note cards until a master it and if I was tricked I try to understand the nature of why I was tricked. This honestly translates into better score on future p tests as I notice trends and catch mistakes before they happen. It also tells me what I am remembering which is good because it allows me to measure the level I am learning and make me feel better about the next test.

I would use your unused stuff like AAMC 10 and 11 wisely as those are your strongest diagnositic tools to tell you of your progress.

Should I retake FL X?

I don't suggest it for a few reasons. First, your score will be inflated. This alone negates the predictive power of the test. If you don't need it to gauge where you are, fine, retake them. For instance, you could simply be going over the problems again to, as others have mentioned, understand the thinking behind it. However, if you are using it as a practice FL, don't.

One of the most important aspects of a FL is that it's material you've never seen before. It forces you to quickly analyze an unknown passage, tap into your knowledge, and answer questions you've never seen. If you knew exactly what was going to be on the test, it would take away from the somewhat frantic experience of getting that weird passage. It also makes you more relaxed overall because you know what's coming. Unfortunately, you will not have the luxury of either on the test. You will have to deal with weird passages. You will have to get out of your comfort zone of knowing what's ahead.

Then, you get into the timing issues which you MUST get down before the test. When you have prior knowledge of the material, you miss the chance at gaining more experience with the clock. Too many people underestimate the effect of the timer. Again, you have to get used to it and retaking problems won't help.

Think of the whole thing like sports practice. Sure, you go over some standard plays again and again to get a feel for them. However, to practice for a real game, you have a scrimmage match or an exhibition game. The other team doesn't tell you what plays they're going to run. If they did, it would eliminate the usefulness of the scrimmage or exhibition game.