supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
La Seychelles
www.physiciantravels.com
Status
Attending Physician
Did you guys see that french dude flatten that guy with the most powerful headbutt ever? I thought he should have just got a warning, but I'm used to fights in the NHL and NFL where they just get a slap on the wrist.

Hockeyguy

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2005
St Louis/Denver
Status
Attending Physician
As a lifelong hockey player and afficionado of the game of hockey the diving whining crying in soccer drive me nuts. Could you imagine Ray Bourque, Bobby Clark or any other current or former NHLer acting like that? He would be laughed out of the league!

That being said as an Italian I loved seeing that POS Zizzou get thrown out. If for no other reason than to shut the announcers up. My God I haven't seen anouncers on someones nutz like that since the last time I saw Favre play. Thanks God the Azzuri won. I wish I was in Rome last night.

Mario

Trisomy13

ultra
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
mountain home
Status
Attending Physician
Play acting is part of soccer, for better or for worse. Those tackles and ankle stomps can hurt like a mothereffer though, and they aren't wearing the padding the hockey players are. Not that I think any of them are half as tough as the weakest hockey player, mind you.

Zidane got what he deserved with the red card, and it was a poor way to end his career :( The announcers were on his nutz b/c he is (was) a brilliant star of the game, if you overlook his occasional headbutt and back stomp. He has his collection of red cards but watching him string the ball along was always inspiring for fans that appreciate the game.

In any case, sitting in front of the flat screen with a couple of beers watching the World Cup kicked the **** out of sitting in a cramped desk for hours on end with the in-service exam on Saturday. :smuggrin:

OP
supahfresh

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
La Seychelles
www.physiciantravels.com
Status
Attending Physician
there were tons of wussy red cards in this world cup so i guess this was worse than most of them, but overall i think they are too strict and there should be more warnings, not ejections.

in hockey, you'll see the refs give huge leeway at the end of a big game.

just my 2 cents.

OP
supahfresh

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
La Seychelles
www.physiciantravels.com
Status
Attending Physician
there were tons of wussy red cards in this world cup so i guess this was worse than most of them, but overall i think they are too strict and there should be more warnings, not ejections.

in hockey, you'll see the refs give huge leeway at the end of a big game.

just my 2 cents.

fakin' the funk

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
As a player and fan, the worst part of soccer BY FAR is play-acting/cheating/diving/time-wasting etc. It ruins the image of a great, intelligent game that is played by some seriously fit dudes.

Unfortunately, it pays to be a whiny ***** in soccer, and the (mis)conduct of a whole lot of players in this World Cup makes a strong case for a little thing called "instant replay."

And here's a medical question for ya: how many times do you see a stretcher during an NFL game, where the players routinely get stingers, sprains, and concussions? MAYBE once every few games? Soccer players roll around on the ground when an opposing player looks at them the wrong way.

cubs3canes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
The question that I have do you really think the side ref saw the play or that he saw it on the jumbotron?

I really think that none of the refs actually saw the play but heard the crowd reaction and looked up. It was the right call, but was it not against the FIFA rules to play the replay on the big screen.

On a side note and as an ex-hockey player as well..what a bunch of wimps,

maude eh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Whether soccer players are a "bunch of wimps" on the whole, a headbutt to the sternum will knock a lot of people on their ass.

cubs3canes said:
The question that I have do you really think the side ref saw the play or that he saw it on the jumbotron?

I really think that none of the refs actually saw the play but heard the crowd reaction and looked up. It was the right call, but was it not against the FIFA rules to play the replay on the big screen.

maude eh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
While the issue as to whether soccer players are a "bunch of wimps" on the whole is debatable, a headbutt to the sternum will knock a lot of people on their ass.

cubs3canes said:

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
supahfresh said:
Did you guys see that french dude flatten that guy with the most powerful headbutt ever? I thought he should have just got a warning, but I'm used to fights in the NHL and NFL where they just get a slap on the wrist.

Sad part is, Supah, is that nobody knows what youre talking about.

Soccer in the US is a FART.

The FOR REAL FOOTBALL season is upcoming...

underdog27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Was watching ESPN last night and they reported that Italian dude insulted French dude prior to headbutt. Supposedly Italian dude said, "I wish an ugly death to you and your family. Go [email protected]#k yourself!".
If that is true, he is lucky he only got a headbutt to chest. That being said, I must agree with Jet that the real football season is fast approaching!!

dhb

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
i agree with what has been said but some fouls are seriously dangerous eg. did you see the portuguese dude's leg after he got kicked by the dutch guy?
and since 2 warnings = 1 red card more warnings would meen more ejections

blocks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bay Area
Status
jetproppilot said:
Sad part is, Supah, is that nobody knows what youre talking about.

Soccer in the US is a FART.

The FOR REAL FOOTBALL season is upcoming...

Word Jet! And anyone who does not yet have directv NFL Ticket can get EVERY NFL game on Sunday, plus premium channels package for the price of basic cable...$69.99/mo!! Sick deal, I will watching a helluva lot of tivo-ed NFL this year...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2700001