RED FLAG: EXAM DATE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorito932

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I finished my third year of medical school and was wondering if residency programs will look at when a student has taken USMLE STEP1?

I am an IMG and decided to take a research year in between third and fourth and was planning on taking STEP 1 and 2 during this year. Will programs question why and consider this as un-ideal?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I finished my third year of medical school and was wondering if residency programs will look at when a student has taken USMLE STEP1?

I am an IMG and decided to take a research year in between third and fourth and was planning on taking STEP 1 and 2 during this year. Will programs question why and consider this as un-ideal?
Only if you don't do well on them. Otherwise, nobody will care.

Your IMG status is a much bigger flag (yellow/orange/red/chartreuse) on your app than the timing of your Steps.

Reactions: 3 users

What gutonc said. No one will care, as long as you do well.

Reactions: 1 user