RED FLAG: EXAM DATE?

dorito932

Jan 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student
    Hello, I finished my third year of medical school and was wondering if residency programs will look at when a student has taken USMLE STEP1?

I am an IMG and decided to take a research year in between third and fourth and was planning on taking STEP 1 and 2 during this year. Will programs question why and consider this as un-ideal?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
  • Mar 6, 2005
    1. Attending Physician
      Hello, I finished my third year of medical school and was wondering if residency programs will look at when a student has taken USMLE STEP1?

I am an IMG and decided to take a research year in between third and fourth and was planning on taking STEP 1 and 2 during this year. Will programs question why and consider this as un-ideal?
      Only if you don't do well on them. Otherwise, nobody will care.

Your IMG status is a much bigger flag (yellow/orange/red/chartreuse) on your app than the timing of your Steps.

Reactions: 3 users

Piebaldi

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      Jan 3, 2019

What gutonc said. No one will care, as long as you do well.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.