Red Flag or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LloydDObler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My #1 choice is a university program in a desirable geographic area with a huge medical school attached to it. None of the residents are from said attached medical school. Is this an issue or not? I initially thought it wasn't (in fact, I initially didn't even notice), but now I wonder. A relatively small proportion of any medical school class is going into FM in the first place, so it probably doesn't matter. I just am worried that there's something I don't know.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

it could be a red flag. maybe they dont go there because they know something u dont. i dont think anyone from my med schl applied to my university's FP program because we know it isnt good. unfortunately, in FP, a lot of mediocre to crappy programs can appear good initially because of the big name hospital behind it.

u probably need to talk to more ppl who are familiar with the program.

To me that would be a red flag... it's actually something I look for given that our med school has a fantastic sports med fellowship but the residency is not very strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
The program is competitive. I am not worried about the quality of training. I am more worried about "malignancy" ( a word I am growing to hate in regards to residency training). I don't really know how to go about finding out, since the current residents love the program (or say they do). Since I didn't go to this school, I can't contact the students.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Sorry, I guess I should clarify that better... I meant more malignant than non-competitive. A lot of people don't stay here for family because it's not as well respected and I honestly don't see those residents hardly ever in the university setting... makes me wonder where they are!