Red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butternoodles

Reaction score
I applied very early (almost 50 secondaries complete by August), but I've only gotten two IIs, one from my state school. This is a concern for me because I have pretty high stats, 4.0 and 520. I'm just wondering if this lack of IIs given my stats means that there's a big red flag somewhere in my personal statement or application?

Sorry if this is an obnoxious question, but I don't really have any connections to physicians/medicine. My path has been very nontraditional and I'm concerned. I know there's nothing I can really do at this point...

Members don't see this ad.

I applied very early (almost 50 secondaries complete by August), but I've only gotten two IIs, one from my state school. This is a concern for me because I have pretty high stats, 4.0 and 520. I'm just wondering if this lack of IIs given my stats means that there's a big red flag somewhere in my personal statement or application?

Sorry if this is an obnoxious question, but I don't really have any connections to physicians/medicine. My path has been very nontraditional and I'm concerned. I know there's nothing I can really do at this point...
"I have already been invited for 2 interviews and it's only August!"
Fixed that for you.
By following your school threads on SDN you will see that most schools have barely started sending out interview invitations.
Know that you've done your part and that there will be months of waiting. Good luck!

Reactions: 10 users
Ok thank you for the insight. Trying to get a handle on expectations and realities!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a marathon, not a sprint. And you will need to be patient. Stats are part of the screening. Mission fit is more important.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It's only August! People are still on vacation. Things don't heat up until Labor Day.

Patience is a virtue; the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Not directed at you, OP, but SDNers are advised to not to have the mindset of “I sent in my apps; where are my IIs???!!!”

Reactions: 4 users

If you got two interview invites by mid-August there is, for sure, no red flag on your application.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

Right here with you. Tbh, it's really hard not to freak out and fear the worst when you see so many people here racking up 5+ IIs already :/

Right here with you. Tbh, it's really hard not to freak out and fear the worst when you see so many people here racking up 5+ IIs already :/
Ik what you mean, it's hard not to obsess. I can't wait for semester to start so I can get busy again and not spend time refreshing my email :lol:

To offer a contrarian opinion...
1692848235513.png

(I may be dating myself with my memes)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If you got two interview invites by mid-August there is, for sure, no red flag on your application.
Unless things have changed drastically in the 4 to 5 years that I applied, with OP's stats they probably could get interview somewhere even with a red flag or two. Obviously not a "showstopper" red flag, but obviously there are degrees to everything, including red flags.