Red Flags for new job listings in the world of telehealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to start looking for my first job, coming to the end of residency .

Any red flags to look for specifically in telehealth job from anyones experience. I know it's relatively new , but any insight would be appreciated. Also any advice for any red flags would be appreciated , and if your feeling like being extra helpful . If anyone has a link that could explain to me like I'm 5 how RVUs work and an way to calculate productivity for when I'm competing job offers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Look up what an RVU is for a service. Look it up on any website that shows them. It's something easily googled. Divide the total goal by that amount. If you only saw that service, that's how many encounters you need. Try it again with ratios that you expect to be billing of each of the pertinent cpt codes. Look at the payment per RVU above the goal and see if that satisfies you.

Set up your ideal schedule and calculate the number of RVUs that is. Subtract a reasonable percentage for no-shows or slow filling. That is how many RVUs you get for a given time period. Extrapolate from there.

Read the job details. If things sound unpleasant enough to you that it's a no-go then look elsewhere. Do you want to supervise mid-levels in another state? Do you want the company to fully utilize your DEA or DEAX? Do you want to see the patients they target? Are the responsibilities what you want? Do you get paid for no-shows? Are they setting it up as your practice or the clinics (how does that relate to laws for abandonment, etc?) Are you familiar with the laws in the locations they want you to provide coverage? What's the non-compete like?

It's impossible to say what would be a red flag for you without knowing how you feel about all of the above. Even then, it would be up to you and not us to determine what's a no-go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It might be easier to ask the opposite question. Are there any telepsych firms that lack red flags and are worth working for?

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately , these middle-ware companies will take >50% of your income while you assume 100% of the risk. Better to start your own practice. Look up luminello as a EHR and Zoom /doximity as telepsych tool.

Reactions: 5 users
Well non-competes certainly are a huge red flag.