Red flags for specific FM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailorHg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am a 3rd year DO student starting to think about auditions for next year. I really want to go into family med. One program I'm looking at has a specific stipulation that people applying to their residency program not have failed more than one class, and must have passed their remediations. I did fail two classes at the end of my first year, so I have two F's on my transcript but I passed the remediation courses. I passed Level 1 on my first try with an unremarkable 466. I haven't taken Step or Level 2 yet. The program is in the PNW and draws mostly from the large public MD school but also has DOs and IMGs on their roster.

I have ties to the area and my resume and ECs show a strong preference for family med. Is this program a lost cause for me because of their requirement? Or should I look into trying to rotate their as an audition?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to ask them. Just be honest because they are going to find out anyway. It may not be a dealbreaker but only they can answer. If you reach out, express how you really want their program and why. If you can't do that, apply anyway and cross your fingers. Family medicine isn't overly competitive, however that program may be.

But again, the best person to ask is the PD or coordinator. As someone who has been involved in the process, this is not a strange question to email about.

Reactions: 2 users
Must be the one close to Seattle from the sound of it. Best chance is to do an away there and impress them.

Reactions: 1 user
You really need to ask them. Just be honest because they are going to find out anyway. It may not be a dealbreaker but only they can answer. If you reach out, express how you really want their program and why. If you can't do that, apply anyway and cross your fingers. Family medicine isn't overly competitive, however that program may be.

But again, the best person to ask is the PD or coordinator. As someone who has been involved in the process, this is not a strange question to email about.

Good point. I think it makes sense to communicate with them. Thank you for the input!