Redo Personal Statement for reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming one had to reapply next cycle, would (should) they have to rewrite their personal statement? Just amend it? So on, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Sartre79 said:
Assuming one had to reapply next cycle, would (should) they have to rewrite their personal statement? Just amend it? So on, etc.
Writing the statement was the worst thing I had to do to get into medical school (even more painful than the MCAT, which was terrible). Keeping that in mind, believe me when I say that I absolutely would change my statement.

I wouldn't want to take the chance that the committee might pull my old
application to compare the progress I have made, and then notice that I couldn't be bothered to change my letter. Also, if you didn't get in, some things need to change between year 1 & year 2. Your statement should reflect the gains you made in that year.

1) I would avoid contradicting yourself from one letter to the next, unless something you said in the first letter is no longer true about you.
2) Statements are so different from one person to the next, there isn't much I can say except that I would want my second statement to be even more articulate, and I would want it to do a better job of presenting me to the committee than my last statement did.

I have only read a few statments written by successful applicants. My friend's statement was a (what seemed to me to be cliched) story about how this one experience made him want to be a doctor, and how he grew into the sort of person that would be a good doctor. I thought the statement was too personal, presumptious, and full of BS. However, the adcom didn't know him as well as I did, so it didn't seem as contrived to them. He got in. My statement was very different. The purpose of my statement was to explain a significant anomaly in my application, (I switched careers in the middle of grad school) and to convey my reasons for pursuing medicine. My letter was much less emotional, but still personally revealing enough for the adcom to feel as if I was letting them see into my reasoning for the career switch to medicine. It worked: my interviews were pretty painless, and I got an acceptance email shortly thereafter.

Personal statements are strange, difficult, (at leas somewhat) contrived, and painful to write. However, your statement can be your best friend when it comes to the adcom & interviews.

Best of luck with your re-write, if you re-write.

Sartre79 said:
They should absolutely rewrite it! If it didn't get them in the first time why should it work the second time? (I hate to use a quote so overused by motivational speakers but here goes)

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly! :D

I bet when you read your statement a year from now anyways, it wouldn't sound right.

What if it isn't an issue of the quality of the personal statement, but an MCAT score, etc.

I agree that it needs to be rewritten but for many people people, the reasons they want medicine stay the same, experiences that made them want it are the same. So what can they change except maybe add a paragraph of what they did that last year.

Well, let me help you put it into perspective. Last cycle with a crappy essay I got 3 interviews and got into nowhere. This cycle I changed nothing except my primary and secondary essays (and maybe applying earlier), and I've gotten 7 interviews and 1 acceptance so far. Really think about your essay and ask if this is something that makes the person reading it want to give you an interview. I would re-write it if at all possible! However, I understand why some may feel they've written a kick-ass essay the first time, and didn't get in because of other factors. In that case, use your best judgement.

Hell yes!!! :D
Great posts everyone, not much I can add to them. Just make sure your personal statement covers as much as you can about yourself. Don't let anything linger in their minds after they read it. In addition, explain your activities as much as you can including your personal view on them. They want to know what you took away from each activity. If they wanted a CV, they'd ask for it.