Needachange15

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2015
I was in an abusive marriage and had to make residency choices that were best for the right now. Now that I’m separated, I want to redo residency. I went in FM so I could be home more. I really do not like it. I would love Path or Rads. I was about to apply to Rads the first time but was talked out of it . Does it make sense to go back? Would someone take me?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was in an abusive marriage and had to make residency choices that were best for the right now. Now that I’m separated, I want to redo residency. I went in FM so I could be home more. I really do not like it. I would love Path or Rads. I was about to apply to Rads the first time but was talked out of it .
Sorry about this. Glad you're in a better place now.
Does it make sense to go back?
Only you can answer this question. How close are you to finishing residency? Can you see a path to a career you like/tolerate in FM? Can you handle X more years of training (in addition to the Y you've already put in)?
Would someone take me?
Maybe.

Dave1980

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was in an abusive marriage and had to make residency choices that were best for the right now. Now that I’m separated, I want to redo residency. I went in FM so I could be home more. I really do not like it. I would love Path or Rads. I was about to apply to Rads the first time but was talked out of it . Does it make sense to go back? Would someone take me?

Not nearly enough info for someone to give you helpful advice.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Dral

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Dermatomicroscope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Not nearly enough info for someone to give you helpful advice.
Yup, we need a little more. Do you have any experience or exposure to those fields? Do you have any connections? Are you still in residency (and have decent access to one or both of those departments)?

Any help we might give would be a wall o' text. If you give us a little more (we're not asking for anything personal), we can probably help you better.

And yes, It's good to hear you have gotten out of a toxic relationship and are ready to move on.

Reactions: 2 users

BacktotheBasics

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Really evaluate whether you want to do this which is personal and I'll leave to you. I can see a possible path but it would be a process and there's no guarantee that you're going to be successful.

1. The first thing you need to figure out is how the residency funding is going to work because money's how the world goes around. Medicare pays for "x" years of ACGME residency. After "x" years are over, the remaining is funded to a lesser degree (I don't know specifics). You did 3 years of a primary care residency and are now going back to do specialty residency. I don't know if that will allow you to just simply get fully funded as if medicare's paying for a different indication (specialty training) OR if your previous family residency will eat into your funding at this residency and the hospital will have to pay the bill for the remaining amount (which is obviously a con to any program that considers you). Someone who knows better on here should be able to tell you.

2. In terms of actually applying this application cycle's already started and I can tell you that program coordinators/directors will have little patience for your application right now (but you can try). Therefore your options are as follows:

Most likely to work:
A.) Apply for a position starting in July 2022 via ERAS (the electronic residency application system) at which point applications will start getting submitted. Luckily for you, you can continue what you're doing that pays the bills until then. Alternatively, you have until then to get experience in the field however way you may be able to do some rads/path work which may reflect well on you in the application cycle. This will also give you time to work under someone who can write you letters, etc.

Pros: Allows you the best chance to get a legit app together
Cons: Time, May need more funding depending on how that works

Possible:
B.) Midyear positions (again something I'm unsure about for you): You may get PGY-1 credit for doing FM if we're considering Radiology since that residency usually does prelim year. If that's the case, you could potentially ask about midyear PGY-1 openings now since you'd be qualified to start in the middle of PGY-1. Be ready to pack your bags if you hear back. You're going to have extend a large net (i.e. all the residencies in the country). ResidencySwap.org sometimes has listings for open posts. Its a paid service and I believe there's someone on here who can tell you more about it (I'm not affiliated with the company)

Pros: Less time. Also, you may not need references and all the standard stuff if someone's just willing to straight up take you.
Cons: Funding

Longshot:
Take advantage of the fact that we are in the middle of an application cycle and throw in an application now if able to. Two reasons its a long shot is that #1 where are your letters going to come from? #2 this application cycle is its own mess and even if you technically meet some deadlines, most places have rushed to invite interview candidates and even most applicants now aren't getting interviews. If the deadlines are done, you could try submitting a manual application.

3.) Other challenges: Depending on how far off you are from graduation, getting all the paper work (if it was even digitalized at that point) may be a challenge. Additionally, there are a lot of filters even with the ERAS 2022 route that admissions departments for residencies use which include whether or not you graduates before XYZ arbitrary year, etc. Expect your application to get filtered out a lot which is why you'll really have to extend your reach.

Last edited:

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
1. The first thing you need to figure out is how the residency funding is going to work because money's how the world goes around. Medicare pays for "x" years of ACGME residency. After "x" years are over, the remaining is funded to a lesser degree (I don't know specifics). You did 3 years of a primary care residency and are now going back to do specialty residency. I don't know if that will allow you to just simply get fully funded as if medicare's paying for a different indication (specialty training) OR if your previous family residency will eat into your funding at this residency and the hospital will have to pay the bill for the remaining amount (which is obviously a con to any program that considers you). Someone who knows better on here should be able to tell you.
OP finished FM residency. Based on what I've learned from SDN over the years, that means that any further residency by OP will receive about half the CMS funding. While this may be a problem for some programs, there's really nothing OP can do about it so it's not really worth thinking about.

Also, some hospitals with many residency programs may have extra slots above the cap for CMS funding -- that is, some larger places may already have residents that don't get them the full funding. Such a place then wouldn't take an additional financial loss from taking OP vs another potential resident. Again, I've only learned this through SDN so I don't know much more details or if it's even really worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

CoffeeGourmand

7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Probably hard. Nuclear med probably easier to get into.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
OP finished FM residency. Based on what I've learned from SDN over the years, that means that any further residency by OP will receive about half the CMS funding. While this may be a problem for some programs, there's really nothing OP can do about it so it's not really worth thinking about.

Also, some hospitals with many residency programs may have extra slots above the cap for CMS funding -- that is, some larger places may already have residents that don't get them the full funding. Such a place then wouldn't take an additional financial got from taking OP vs another potential resident. Again, I've only learned this through SDN so I don't know much more details or if it's even really worth thinking about.
You learned incorrectly.

The funding is more along the lines of 75% (50% DME and 100% IME). The numbers vary by hospital but 75% as a total is a reasonable guesstimate for most places.

And many hospitals are well above CMS funding cap already so a significant proportion of their residents are already funded in this way. Furthermore, all fellows at any hospital are funded this way, if not completely privately.

Bottom line, the funding issue is a red herring and if a program tells you "it's the funding", it's actually you.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You learned incorrectly.

The funding is more along the lines of 75%
I don't know how seriously you meant your first line but this means I was correct other than being off on the number by an amount that doesn't change anything for OP or anyone else considering this. That, and I wrote the word "got" instead of "loss," though I'm not sure how "got" gets interpreted there.

BacktotheBasics

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Also, some hospitals with many residency programs may have extra slots above the cap for CMS funding -- that is, some larger places may already have residents that don't get them the full funding. Such a place then wouldn't take an additional financial loss from taking OP vs another potential resident. Again, I've only learned this through SDN so I don't know much more details or if it's even really worth thinking about.
Thanks for filling that in!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.