Redox Lewis Acid/Base

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this has always confused me. So how exactly do you know if a reaction is Redox or lewis acid/base since both of them involve the transfer of electron?

Members don't see this ad.

So this has always confused me. So how exactly do you know if a reaction is Redox or lewis acid/base since both of them involve the transfer of electron?

In any reaction, remember LEOA the Lion says GERC.
LOSS OF ELECTIONS -OXIDATION ie the oxidation # increases which is Lewis base.

GAIN OF ELECTRONS -REDUCTION ie the oxidation # decreases, which is Lewis acid. The key is to be able to identify the change in the oxidation no of the reactants/products. Since they happen simultaneously, u can work only on one species.

i think you misunderstood my question.

I am asking: How do you tell the difference between

Redox reaction and Lewis Acid/base Reaction.

A organic chem question

How do you tell if something is nucleophilic attack or electrophilic attack?

in every reaction there is a nucleophili and a electrophilic how exactly do you define which is attacking which??

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any example in mind? If I took a simple acid-base reaction like
H+ + NH3: → NH4+
Even that NH3 donates electrons(base) the oxidation states of any elements does not changed

N+3=0 -> N=-3
N+4=1 -> N=-3

So does that means at least that not all Lewis acid/bases are redox?

Do you have any example in mind? If I took a simple acid-base reaction like
H+ + NH3: → NH4+
Even that NH3 donates electrons(base) the oxidation states of any elements does not changed

N+3=0 -> N=-3
N+4=1 -> N=-3

So does that means at least that not all Lewis acid/bases are redox?

Lewis acid and bases are defined by gain and loss of electrons repectively. As far as i recall, donation of protons, gain of electrons and gain of oxygen is reduction. In your example, ammonia gains a proton and thus undergoes oxidation or donates a pair of electrons to a proton and thus undergoes oxidation. I hope this was your question.