Reduction of an imine

Started by deleted647690
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted647690

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you used LiAlH4 to reduce the imine product of a reaction between a ketone and primary amine, wouldn't you end up with a primary amine? This is what I put, but BR says it would make a secondary amine. It says the Nitrogen would gain a new sigma bond to hydrogen and lose the pi bond the the carbon. I don't see how this would produce a secondary amine, because wouldn't it just produce a NHCH(CH3)2 (primary amine)?
 
R-NH2 + R'R''C=O --->R-N=CR'R'' ---> R-(NH)-(CH)-R'R"


Oh, thanks. I was trying to imagine it as similar to reducing a ketone to a secondary alcohol, and how to form a ketone, you would have to start with a secondary alcohol, and for some reason thought because of that, you couldn't start with a primary amine and get to a secondary amine.