Reference dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of my highest performing techs asked me if he can use me as a reference for another job. I have no idea if he will still stay with us and work at another place part time or will he just leave the current job? I didn’t ask. That’s not really my business.. I agreed to it because that’s the right thing to do even though it will completely suck for us.

But here is a dilemma; I am a staff pharmacist. Should I at least inform our manager that this person is looking for another job? I just want the manager to be mentally prepared if the associate leaves completely and gives us a short notice. Does this sound fair or am I being nosy for telling someone other’s plans?
It depends if the manager or tech is your pal or not. Almost always telling the manager this coming from you instead of the tech would be considered poor form on your part.

Reactions: 1 users
I would definitely not inform the manager. That breaks trust between you and the technician. Allow the technician to inform them themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
I am actually a little torn to be honest. I just assume that every manager always assumes all their employees are actively looking for new jobs lol

I think if the tech is trusting you enough to make this request that you two are close enough that this would be a betrayal of confidence. OTOH, if they are casually chatting about it at work I wouldn’t hesitate to ask the manager if they knew just as a heads up.

You could also ask the technician if you can share their information with the manager. They might not care and then at least expectations are explicit either way.

Ultimately telling the manager will probably be pointless anyway. They aren’t likely to post an opening until after the technician’s last day in my experience.

Reactions: 1 user