References in SOP/research interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanPsychGirl

B.Sc. 2010 grad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but as I review/edit my apps, I'm just wondering if many people include in-text references in their statement of research interests or their personal statement?

Maybe this question reflects something I shouldn't be talking about in either statement, but if I want to state something like (for example): "Because children with ADHD experience difficulties establishing and maintaining peer relationships, more research is necessary in this area", should I provide references after "... maintaining peer relationships..."?

Any help appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

i thought of that too, but I decided against it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used in-text citations last year... By that point I was almost done my M.A. and didn't know how NOT to use them! Probably won't hurt either way.

wow. i think you might be over thinking this (which i know is VERY easy when you're applying). but one thing you might consider is how "personal" the statement will feel if you include references.

Presumably the person you're applying to will know the literature on their research topic well enough for the reference to be unnecessary. I wouldn't include it.