References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePTguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if old references from previous cycles could be reused. Two of my professors have agreed to provide me with recommendations but for those that come from volunteering, could they be the same from pervious cycles or do they have to be different. I am aware that it is better to volunteer at other locations but I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

You can use the same ones, just be sure that they are writing you strong letters. If there are great letters coming from more recent sources I would use those.

Reactions: 1 users
Ideally you could get new ones from stronger writers. But if the ones you had last year were the strongest part of your app already, probably better to stick with them. There is no formal policy against re-using LORs.

Perhaps you could call the schools you are applying/re-applying to and ask them what they would look most favorably upon. If you are going through a second app cycle, you probably need to call each school you applied to/are going to apply to and talk to an admissions counselor anyway.