• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

referral for pre-procedure medications only

promethius

15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2002
Shaken, not stirred
    Hey just wanted to see what the general consensus is. We had a patient who called who wanted to be seen, as primary care physician wanted the patient to go to pain management for just pre-procedure pain medication and anxiolytic. Sounds like the patient only wants 1-2 tablets of each. Assuming you have room on your schedule, would you see this patient knowing that is all the patient wants and that the patient will not be following back up with you?

Last edited:

painfree23

2+ Year Member
    Jan 26, 2017
      Hey just wanted to see what the general consensus is. We had a patient who called who wanted to seen, as primary care physician wanted the patient to go to pain management for just pre-procedure pain medication and anxiolytic. Sounds like the patient only wants 1-2 tablets of each. Assuming you have room on your schedule, would you see this patient knowing that is all the patient wants and that the patient will not be following back up with you?
      Pre-what procedure??

About the Ads

RoloTomassi

10+ Year Member
      Apr 28, 2010
        I'm assuming the PCP will be doing the procedure? I don't know any other proceduralist who wouldn't write their own sedation.

Assuming procedure and meds are reasonable, patient is reasonable, and PDMP checks out, I'd probably do it. Call the PCP to discuss and strengthen that referral relationship so you at least get some good referrals for doing them a solid.

painfree23

2+ Year Member
        Jan 26, 2017
          I'm assuming the PCP will be doing the procedure? I don't know any other proceduralist who wouldn't write their own sedation.

Assuming procedure and meds are reasonable, patient is reasonable, and PDMP checks out, I'd probably do it. Call the PCP to discuss and strengthen that referral relationship so you at least get some good referrals for doing them a solid.

What pcp would b ok doing a procedure but not writing for 2 Valium’s? What procedure can u imagine it being??

RoloTomassi

10+ Year Member
          Apr 28, 2010
            Just saw your post on another thread. Sounds like you are in solo PP in a still growing practice. It comes down to how much does this PCP relationship or potential relationship matter to you.

From a medical perspective you would not be doing anything medically inappropriate if all checks out. What's worse case scenario, patient with no PDMP history, documented legit phobia, documented talk with PCP, ODs on one tramadol and Valium, and board or court finds you liable? Highly unlikely. Likelihood of benefit to your business? Up to you to gauge. This is much less risk than taking on new patients on chronic opioids.

Reactions: 1 users

dipriMAN

2+ Year Member
            Sep 4, 2017
              Why not, pretty low risk, I wouldn’t prescribe any opioids, no poly pharmacy, would just give a few tablets of lorazepam and instructions on when to take them, no driving, etc. if it’s truely a minor procedure they shouldn’t need opioids for postop pain anyways.

promethius

15+ Year Member
              Dec 13, 2002
              Shaken, not stirred
                Why not, pretty low risk, I wouldn’t prescribe any opioids, no poly pharmacy, would just give a few tablets of lorazepam and instructions on when to take them, no driving, etc. if it’s truely a minor procedure they shouldn’t need opioids for postop pain anyways.
                The patient specifically wanted Percocets for pain. I would imagine if you agree to see the patient, and you only prescribe anxiolytics without pain medications, both the referring physician and the patient would not be too happy. Sounds like some physicians are against seeing these types of patients and others would be okay with it.

dipriMAN

2+ Year Member
                Sep 4, 2017
                  The patient specifically wanted Percocets for pain. I would imagine if you agree to see the patient, and you only prescribe anxiolytics without pain medications, both the referring physician and the patient would not be too happy. Sounds like some physicians are against seeing these types of patients and others would be okay with it.
                  This sounds bizarre. What procedure was this? No proceduralist would ever give a preop Percocet or opioid for anything.

Did they want Percocet for post op pain?

promethius

15+ Year Member
                  Dec 13, 2002
                  Shaken, not stirred
                    Not sure. May have to call the patient back to get more information because it is not as straightforward as it first seemed. This may also apply to surgeons who refer their fresh post-op patients to you for pain management because they do not want to write for any pain medications either.

lobelsteve

Staff member
                    Volunteer Staff
                    Lifetime Donor
                    Verified Expert
                    15+ Year Member
                    May 30, 2005
                    Canton GA
                    www.stevenlobel.com
                    1. Attending Physician
                      Hard pass. This went from assistance to ghost writer. If doc cannot rx or refuses rx for his patient undergoing whatever procedure, you MUST assume he is not competent.

Reactions: 3 users

VA Hopeful Dr

Volunteer Staff
                      Lifetime Donor
                      Verified Expert
                      15+ Year Member
                    • Jul 28, 2004
                      1. Attending Physician
                        Hard pass. This went from assistance to ghost writer. If doc cannot rx or refuses rx for his patient undergoing whatever procedure, you MUST assume he is not competent.
                        Yeah, I can't imagine doing a procedure as a PCP and needing someone else to write pre-op meds for it.

It's not like we're doing major surgery. He/she can write for 1-2 opioid and benzo pills themselves.

Ducttape

Lifetime Donor
                        10+ Year Member
                        Oct 7, 2011
                        1. Attending Physician
                          if this is an office based procedure, i find it unlikely that percocet is required post procedure. most procedures in office are local only and not significantly pain producing, and non-opioid therapy would be able to manage the pain.

in addition, i would not "write" for post op pain meds (exception - unless i am already prescribing them meds). if there is a complication from the procedure - for example, the pain pills masked infection from the incompetent surgeon - you will be liable.

Reactions: 1 users

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
                          15+ Year Member
                          May 8, 2005
                          Missouri
                          1. Attending Physician
                            So the pcp doesn’t have a dea number? This is basically saying “I’m scared to write this because I feel like it’s high risk but want money from the procedure so will you pretty please take the risk for little compensation so I can do the procedure”

Reactions: 1 user
                            About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.