Referrals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you get a lot of patients needing to see allergists? If you do, do you let this go on for years (receiving allergy shots etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Allergies (I got that sinus again doc!) are a way of life where I practice. Most of the town is afflicted. I never had allergies before moving here. I manage most on my own but do refer a few on to either an allergist or ENT (who also does shots/drops in town), especially if it is contributing to a chronic flare of asthma. I've had patients come off of their daily asthma medications after getting their allergies under control. The shorter the med list the better. 1 weekly shot is better than Qvar + Singulair + Flonase + Zyrtec.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least one or two a week. Live in one of the worst cities in the world for them. Anyone getting a sinus infection at the same time every year who wants to do shots I will send. If someone isn't interested in shots I probably won't send them. Also I give them regular allergy medications first.

If a patient isn't interested in allergy shots, there's nothing (literally, nothing) that an allergist will offer them that I can't (and probably haven't already). Allergy testing...? If you don't want shots, what's the point? "OK, you're allergic to such-and-such, so you should avoid such-and-such." Duh.

Oh, and "sinus infections...?" Here ya' go...

https://www.idsociety.org/uploadedFiles/IDSA/Guidelines-Patient_Care/PDF_Library/IDSA Clinical Practice Guideline for Acute Bacterial Rhinosinusitis in Children and Adults.pdf
No one likes when I cite those reccs haha. But we are fracked through Epic and it is a metric for us next year, silly patients.

Reactions: 1 user
No one likes when I cite those reccs haha. But we are fracked through Epic and it is a metric for us next year, silly patients.

I imagine you meant "tracked," but (if you ever watched Battlestar Galactica) what you said is probably also accurate. ;)

[nerdalert]
tumblr_m45bzdM4Oc1rprve5o1_500.jpg
[/nerdalert]

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO patients who insist on a referral to allergy testing are also who come up with weird compliants and sometimes c/o fibromylagia
on a handful of occasions I have referred but that was when it was significantly impacting their work

IMHO patients who insist on a referral to allergy testing are also who come up with weird compliants and sometimes c/o fibromylagia
on a handful of occasions I have referred but that was when it was significantly impacting their work

Are you in an allergy ridden area? I am and started the shots myself. I can now breathe during pollen season. I refer earlier than some other people who don't suffer from ridiculous allergies and don't seem as sympathetic to the plight of those patients. I tell people the shot schedule first and tell them if they don't want to do that then there really isn't much point in going since I can give them the same meds they'd get there. I do refer anyone with a history of anaphylaxis. I can't count how many patients I've had who have no idea why they stopped breathing that one time and never had allergy testing but have a prescription for an epipen that they don't carry with them. I want to know what they are allergic to.

I hate taking a daily medication for something like this and I'm slowly being able to not take allergy meds every day.