Reflections on my DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT recently, and I was pleased with my performance.

I will not be releasing my scores here, but in the interests of helping out SDNers who are preparing to take the DAT, as well as publicly recognizing those who make excellent materials in DAT prep., I wanted to make this breakdown.

If you're interested in a quick skim, I've highlighted all the critical points to make that easier.

Materials I used
  • DAT Destroyer 2015
  • Math Destroyer 2013
  • Feralis Biology Notes
  • Cliffs AP Biology
  • Barrons AP Biology
  • DAT Bootcamp
  • Chad's Videos
  • ADA 2009 Practice DAT (available for free online if you google it). Be aware that there are multiple typos in both the questions and answer keys, Also, it is my opinion that this practice exam is harder than the real thing. I scored anywhere from 3 to 8 points higher in every section on the real thing compared to the practice exam.
The Subjects

Biology- I set up a foundation with Cliffs and Barrons, reading each topic in both books and making flashcards online on all the concepts/terms/definitions. However, this was just an exposure to the material. I firmly believe that @FeralisExtremum ' Biology Notes were critical in my performance on the real thing. I encourage everyone to get a copy of his notes. I skimmed through his notes once, and then re-read them and added to my Cliffs/Barrons Anki Flashcard collection.

Anki Flashcards- a FANTASTIC, FREE resource and I highly recommend everyone get it. Anki is a program which lets you create flashcards, import images into them (really useful- I did this with the images in Feralis' notes), and it brings up the flashcards on a frequency based on how often you get them right. So if you get it right the first time, it'll bring it up in 4 days, if you get it right again, then 12 days, etc. etc. You can adjust the interval for your own personal comfort.

I also made paper flashcards, since I discovered Anki very late in my prep.

I went through the DAT Destroyer-Biology one time. However, while going through it, I made a flashcard for every single question that I either a) got wrong or b) got right, but that was tricky/challenging. I did the same for the five DAT bootcamp exams. I had over 350 bio flashcards just based on the problems from these two sources. This is critical because instead of redoing hundreds of problems that I already understood, I could focus on the ones that I got wrong or found tricky and practice there.

I highly recommend everyone get DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer. @Ari Rezaei and @orgoman22 have done a fantastic job with these materials, and many of the questions on my exam were things that Ari and Orgoman's materials taught me (the solutions for both resources are fantastic for expanding the scope of your Bio knowledge).

By Test Day, I could answer every single one of these questions comfortably, and I was also doing well on the conceptual Bio cards that I had made from Cliffs/Barrons/Feralis notes.

General Chemistry/Organic Chemistry- Chad's Videos laid the foundation for the Chemistries. I used his outlines but also made my own notes based on his video lectures! After Chad, I proceeded to DAT Destroyer, and then to DAT Bootcamp. Again, I made flashcards on tough or incorrect problems and reviewed them constantly.

Perceptual Ability- To be brutally honest, I didn't prepare as much for this section as I should have. I did only one DAT Bootcamp PAT exam, and stuck to the generators otherwise.

PAT was my lowest score on the entire thing. But DAT Bootcamp's Practice Exams will take you all the way. I also have Crack DAT PAT (Five test edition) but didn't find it helpful so I stuck with Bootcamp.

Reading Comprehension- The best strategy for me was reading through each passage completely, taking notes on the boards that the Prometric center gave me, and then answering the questions based on that. So for example, I'd go and find the key points made in Paragraph 1, and jot them down as "1- xyz." Then go on to paragraph 2, and do the same. I only went to the questions after reading the entire passage. This way, I was really engaged with the reading, and I also had a nice index made on my whiteboard if I needed to find something. Read Scientific American to build up your reading speed, and use DAT Bootcamp's practice RC exams!

Quantitative Reasoning- I established a foundation with Chad's videos, and then did Math Destroyer 2013 Tests 1-10 under timed conditions. I skimmed through the last 4 (Tests 11-14) but I didn't have enough time to do all of them.

Welp, that's about it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me!

Closing Thoughts
  • I hyped up the difficulty of the DAT in my head, almost so much that I was considering postponing my exam the day before! Don't do what I did! Just do your best and forget the rest.
  • On the actual thing, you may feel like you're doing horribly on a given section (for me it was PAT), but stay strong and continue to move forward. In my case, I thought I would have to retake because of PAT, but I did well on PAT and it was a happy surprise.
  • Stay calm, cool, and collected. It feels great to be on the other side of the DAT hurdle now, and I hope you all do well!
  • Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Making good cards in Anki is so time consuming, but worth every minute. I use it all the time as a dental student. Congratulations!

Thank you!

Yeah absolutely. I am going to integrate Anki into all of my memorization-heavy classes now. It's much more effective than just passively re-reading my notes for the third or fourth time. It also takes less time (once you've made the cards).

I will not be releasing my scores here, but in the interests of helping out SDNers who are preparing to take the DAT, as well as publicly recognizing those who make excellent materials in DAT prep., I wanted to make this breakdown.

If you're interested in a quick skim, I've highlighted all the critical points to make that easier.

Materials I used
  • DAT Destroyer 2015
  • Math Destroyer 2013
  • Feralis Biology Notes
  • Cliffs AP Biology
  • Barrons AP Biology
  • DAT Bootcamp
  • Chad's Videos
  • ADA 2009 Practice DAT (available for free online if you google it). Be aware that there are multiple typos in both the questions and answer keys, Also, it is my opinion that this practice exam is harder than the real thing. I scored anywhere from 3 to 8 points higher in every section on the real thing compared to the practice exam.
The Subjects

Biology- I set up a foundation with Cliffs and Barrons, reading each topic in both books and making flashcards online on all the concepts/terms/definitions. However, this was just an exposure to the material. I firmly believe that @FeralisExtremum ' Biology Notes were critical in my performance on the real thing. I encourage everyone to get a copy of his notes. I skimmed through his notes once, and then re-read them and added to my Cliffs/Barrons Anki Flashcard collection.

Anki Flashcards- a FANTASTIC, FREE resource and I highly recommend everyone get it. Anki is a program which lets you create flashcards, import images into them (really useful- I did this with the images in Feralis' notes), and it brings up the flashcards on a frequency based on how often you get them right. So if you get it right the first time, it'll bring it up in 4 days, if you get it right again, then 12 days, etc. etc. You can adjust the interval for your own personal comfort.

I went through the DAT Destroyer-Biology one time. However, while going through it, I made a flashcard for every single question that I either a) got wrong or b) got right, but that was tricky/challenging. I did the same for the five DAT bootcamp exams. I had over 350 bio flashcards just based on the problems from these two sources. This is critical because instead of redoing hundreds of problems that I already understood, I could focus on the ones that I got wrong or found tricky and practice there.

I highly recommend everyone get DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer. @Ari Rezaei and @orgoman22 have done a fantastic job with these materials, and many of the questions on my exam were things that Ari and Orgoman's materials taught me (the solutions for both resources are fantastic for expanding the scope of your Bio knowledge).

By Test Day, I could answer every single one of these questions comfortably, and I was also doing well on the conceptual Bio cards that I had made from Cliffs/Barrons/Feralis notes.

General Chemistry/Organic Chemistry- Chad's Videos laid the foundation for the Chemistries. I used his outlines but also made my own notes based on his video lectures! After Chad, I proceeded to DAT Destroyer, and then to DAT Bootcamp. Again, I made flashcards on tough or incorrect problems and reviewed them constantly.

Perceptual Ability- To be brutally honest, I didn't prepare as much for this section as I should have. I did only one DAT Bootcamp PAT exam, and stuck to the generators otherwise.

PAT was my lowest score on the entire thing. But DAT Bootcamp's Practice Exams will take you all the way. I also have Crack DAT PAT (Five test edition) but didn't find it helpful so I stuck with Bootcamp.

Reading Comprehension- The best strategy for me was reading through each passage completely, taking notes on the boards that the Prometric center gave me, and then answering the questions based on that. So for example, I'd go and find the key points made in Paragraph 1, and jot them down as "1- xyz." Then go on to paragraph 2, and do the same. I only went to the questions after reading the entire passage. This way, I was really engaged with the reading, and I also had a nice index made on my whiteboard if I needed to find something. Read Scientific American to build up your reading speed, and use DAT Bootcamp's practice RC exams!

Quantitative Reasoning- I established a foundation with Chad's videos, and then did Math Destroyer 2013 Tests 1-10 under timed conditions. I skimmed through the last 4 (Tests 11-14) but I didn't have enough time to do all of them.

Closing Thoughts
  • I hyped up the difficulty of the DAT in my head, almost so much that I was considering postponing my exam the day before! Don't do what I did! Just do your best and forget the rest.
  • On the actual thing, you may feel like you're doing horribly on a given section (for me it was PAT), but stay strong and continue to move forward. In my case, I thought I would have to retake because of PAT, but I did well on PAT and it was a happy surprise.
  • Stay calm, cool, and collected. It feels great to be on the other side of the DAT hurdle now, and I hope you all do well!
Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your DAT experience with the students still preparing for the DAT! I will respect your privacy and your DAT scores but I do believe the DAT Beast was Destroyed again. We are both thrilled our materials were part of your DAT tool box and help you achieve the scores you desired.

Wishing you the very best in your journey and I am sure you will get in the school of your choice.

Take care..

Nancy and Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your DAT experience with the students still preparing for the DAT! I will respect your privacy and your DAT scores but I do believe the DAT Beast was Destroyed again. We are both thrilled our materials were part of your DAT tool box and help you achieve the scores you desired.

Wishing you the very best in your journey and I am sure you will get in the school of your choice.

Take care..

Nancy and Dr. Jim Romano

Thank you Nancy and Dr. Romano- your constant support on these forums/answering all the questions, as well as the level of detail you went into in your prep materials have, no doubt, played a very very very big role in how well I did.

The DAT Beast must be so tired of all the students who use your prep materials :D

Reactions: 1 users
congrats! bet you're super excited to apply next cycle!

Already counting down the days until AADSAS opens. Congrats on Columbia!!! I hope you have an awesome four years there!

Already counting down the days until AADSAS opens. Congrats on Columbia!!! I hope you have an awesome four years there!
Thanks so much and I can only imagine lol, you're like so prepared , I can't wait to see where you end up going :) and yeah I'm so beyond happy to be going to Columbia , I couldn't picture myself anywhere else , I've been smiling for days lmao

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did you use an other practice tests? I am struggling to find good ones and dont know where to buy them. Links anyone?

@Stanelz ,

Hi. Nope- I stuck to Bootcamp and ADA 2009 for all of my practice. I did do each Bio/GC/OC Bootcamp exams three times though.

I did NOT use the following two resources, but they may help you: DAT Genius, ADA 2007 Practice Exam (Available for free online if you google- I think some members have also posted it on this website before).

@Stanelz ,

Hi. Nope- I stuck to Bootcamp and ADA 2009 for all of my practice. I did do each Bio/GC/OC Bootcamp exams three times though.

I did NOT use the following two resources, but they may help you: DAT Genius, ADA 2007 Practice Exam (Available for free online if you google- I think some members have also posted it on this website before).
@Stanelz
also, I think the 2007 one is too easy, having done the 2007 and 2009, I did the 2007 before really starting to study like hardcore and could answer most of the science questions, the 2009 I did after studying and I was about 4-5 days out from my test and it still was a bit tough, the 2009 exam is deff the best gauge of readiness I think

Reactions: 1 user
@Stanelz
also, I think the 2007 one is too easy, having done the 2007 and 2009, I did the 2007 before really starting to study like hardcore and could answer most of the science questions, the 2009 I did after studying and I was about 4-5 days out from my test and it still was a bit tough, the 2009 exam is deff the best gauge of readiness I think

Absolutely. That's why I personally didn't use the 2007- I heard it was too easy and I didn't want to develop overconfidence. Better to have my confidence wrecked and forced to over prepare than be overly confident and fail on the real thing.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Absolutely. That's why I personally didn't use the 2007- I heard it was too easy and I didn't want to develop overconfidence. Better to have my confidence wrecked and forced to over prepare than be overly confident and fail on the real thing.

Thanks for bringing this up.
No prob lol

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you like Barrons?
Would you read a chapter in cliffs then the corresponding chapter in barrons immediately after?

What seemed to help the most in reinforcing all of this information in order to ace the DAT?

Would you read a chapter in cliffs then the corresponding chapter in barrons immediately after?

What seemed to help the most in reinforcing all of this information in order to ace the DAT?

Loved Barrons. In fact, I think I preferred it slightly over Cliffs (more detail in Barrons)
My pattern would be:
1. Read Cliffs quickly, then re-read and take notes.
2. Read through Barrons and supplement notes.
3. Read through Feralis and supplement notes even further, and then convert all notes to Anki Flashcards.
4. Find applicable images for each flashcard to put into Anki (I'm a visual learner)

Most helpful was me setting aside that 30 mins every morning, regardless of whether I had an exam or not (I studied during the semester), and getting through the Anki cards that were due for a review that day.

And once I knew the content, it was time to go attack Destroyer, and then Bootcamp.

Reactions: 2 users

Just read cliffs Barron's isn't as comprehensive enough, and ppl recommend Campbell's as far as a textbook

My pattern would be:
1. Read Cliffs quickly, then re-read and take notes.
2. Read through Barrons and supplement notes.
3. Read through Feralis and supplement notes even further, and then convert all notes to Anki Flashcards.
4. Find applicable images for each flashcard to put into Anki (I'm a visual learner)

This sounds much better than my current approach. I began making Anki flashcards while reading cliffs, taking no notes. It took me nine chapters to realize im basically grabbing words from a page and putting them into Anki without actually engaging myself.

I'll have to steal your pattern, thanks man and congratulations on the DAT.

Just read cliffs Barron's isn't as comprehensive enough, and ppl recommend Campbell's as far as a textbook
Hmm I've been hearing mixed signals when it comes to barrons. Opinions on following the above pattern but replacing barrons with ty jacobs notes?

Hmm I've been hearing mixed signals when it comes to barrons. Opinions on following the above pattern but replacing barrons with ty jacobs notes?

Barrons is there to give you a broad overview-For details, you have Feralis notes.

It's like this: imagine you're looking at a specimen under the microscope.

You begin by looking at it under the 4x magnification to get a sense of the shape, size, location....just some broad overview characteristics. This is what Cliffs does for you.

Then, you switch it over to 40x magnification and start grabbing some more details...what specific structures are in what orientation, etc. This is what Barrons does for you.

The above two are just to give you the basics.

Then, finally, once you're comfortable with those two, you dive into the 100X magnification and start seeing how everything works, all the individual details, all the specific parts. This is what Feralis does for you.

Barron's is there to help you get a broad overview of the material in an easy to understand manner. Its whole purpose is to give you what you need to know without overwhelming you on the details. Cliffs does this too, but sometimes, it just doesn't cover things well or explain them as well as I wanted. THAT'S why Barrons is critical.

You can get above a 20 if you do just Cliffs + Destroyer, or Barrons + Destroyer. But if you want to be a Champion of Biology, you should do Feralis as well.

This sounds much better than my current approach. I began making Anki flashcards while reading cliffs, taking no notes. It took me nine chapters to realize im basically grabbing words from a page and putting them into Anki without actually engaging myself.

I'll have to steal your pattern, thanks man and congratulations on the DAT.

Best comprehensive notes are without a doubt ferallis

Barrons is there to give you a broad overview-For details, you have Feralis notes.

It's like this: imagine you're looking at a specimen under the microscope.

You begin by looking at it under the 4x magnification to get a sense of the shape, size, location....just some broad overview characteristics. This is what Cliffs does for you.

Then, you switch it over to 40x magnification and start grabbing some more details...what specific structures are in what orientation, etc. This is what Barrons does for you.

The above two are just to give you the basics.

Then, finally, once you're comfortable with those two, you dive into the 100X magnification and start seeing how everything works, all the individual details, all the specific parts. This is what Feralis does for you.

Barron's is there to help you get a broad overview of the material in an easy to understand manner. Its whole purpose is to give you what you need to know without overwhelming you on the details. Cliffs does this too, but sometimes, it just doesn't cover things well or explain them as well as I wanted. THAT'S why Barrons is critical.

You can get above a 20 if you do just Cliffs + Destroyer, or Barrons + Destroyer. But if you want to be a Champion of Biology, you should do Feralis as well.
I did destroyer , cliffs , ferallis , and bootcamp, bio was my highest section at a 25 lol

I did destroyer , cliffs , ferallis , and bootcamp, bio was my highest section at a 25 lol

How many times did you go over feralis? Did you skip any details that you felt were overkill?

the only thing I'm scared about is that doing practice sections by section rather than test by test means I would not increase my endurance for the full 4ish hours

the only thing I'm scared about is that doing practice sections by section rather than test by test means I would not increase my endurance for the full 4ish hours

If it makes you feel better, I did exactly one full length exam- the 2009 ADA test, and that too I did one whole week before my actual exam.

However, I am a college student and my schedule involves me studying
(just for my classes) 4-5 hrs at a time...taking a break/working out/eating, and then getting back to it. Hard, concentrated studying. No FB or anything. So I did have the benefit of minimized mental fatigue through that.

I tackled this by increasing my mental stamina over about 2 and a half months studying over the summer, when I started , after 4 hours my brain was done, I couldn't coherently and efficiently process the depth of info I needed to, but u just keep pushing , by about 10 days out from test day, I was studying 10 hours a day, and yes this sounds like overkill, and partially it is, but studying like that accomplishes 2 things, one it allows you to cover a myriad of more topics then you would by studying for say 3-4 hours a day, and 2 , you increase your mental stamina to such a level that you can go through the test and feel at peak performance the whole time, as your normal study day was over twice the length, 8 hours a day is prob still good too, I got a little into it at the end, and wanted to see what I could push myself too.... Cheers

Materials I used
  • DAT Destroyer 2015
  • Math Destroyer 2013
  • Feralis Biology Notes
  • Cliffs AP Biology
  • Barrons AP Biology
  • DAT Bootcamp
  • Chad's Videos
The Subjects

Closing Thoughts
Congratulation on your achievement. I am just wondering how long was were DAT preparation? I am planning to put two months for just he DAT and submit my aadsas Application around July of year. I am turning 29 year and I just kind of feel that I have an old brain now. Anyway your feedback is appreciated.

Congratulation on your achievement. I am just wondering how long was were DAT preparation? I am planning to put two months for just he DAT and submit my aadsas Application around July of year. I am turning 29 year and I just kind of feel that I have an old brain now. Anyway your feedback is appreciated.

It varies from person to person- depends on your existing background knowledge, your work ethic, your capability to memorize large volumes of new information, etc.. Some can pull 22+ in just three weeks. Others take more time. When people ask me, I've been recommending 6-7 hrs/day for 4 months to them.

Whats the point in not releasing your scores? Would bring more merit to this post if we knew you did well on it.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you do a total review of all subjects before even touching Destroyer? or did you review bio then destroyer, then the next subject and so on?