Reflex hammer quandary

Started by AMack
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AMack

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok guys,
A very green (just started rotations) MS-III (me) needs help deciding on what type of reflex hammer to get. There are so many types, I'm feeling a bit confused. What are the pros/cons of each type? I know that a possibly aspiring neurologist such as myself should stay away from the wretched "tomahawk," but that's about as far as my knowledge goes.
Please help me pick one out.

Here's a website with lots of different types:
Hammers galore

Any input is very appreciated!
 
Zefrank rocks, but Hard Chargers are the lame. For third year all hammers are the same.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a fan of the Queen Square myself...that's what I've seen most neurologists I've worked with use.
 
GOing through that list you linked to, I found that the Giraffe and T-Rex models were probably the most useful for me. Very accurate. Many famous neurologists have used these. T-rex is named for famous German neurologist in fact.
 
Get the heaviest hammer you can afford and can be carried easily.

Mayo and queen square are the most used by neurologists. Telescoping queen squares can collapse when you use them if not locking type. Full size queen squares can impale you and don't fit in your pocket or bag. Mayo and other types are pricey.
 
My favorite is the Troemner. The pencil eraser sized head is perfect for elliciting myokymia, and this hammer has good weight and allows fine control.

Nick