Reflexion - BgRT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since we are talking about other linacs I wanted to see if anyone has any other information about the VitalBeam capabilities. I've heard recently we're getting one at our practice. After talking with a former Varian rep it sounds like a basic IMRT machine. Not capable of SRS, no 6DOF couch, no gating, maybe SBRT of larger targets....

Does that sound right? If so I'm less than excited....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since we are talking about other linacs I wanted to see if anyone has any other information about the VitalBeam capabilities. I've heard recently we're getting one at our practice. After talking with a former Varian rep it sounds like a basic IMRT machine. Not capable of SRS, no 6DOF couch, no gating, maybe SBRT of larger targets....

Does that sound right? If so I'm less than excited....
Correct. It is like an iX but running on a "newer OS"/platform like the Truebeam. Basically a cheap workhorse for daily external stuff

poor Elekta. No one gives a ####

Members don't see this ad :)
Vital beam is basically a stripped down true beam with no upgradeable potential. When we looked, a stripped down true beam was selling for only 200k more, so vital beam did not seem to make sense. At least have potential to have 6 degree couch, hyperarc etc in the future.

Yeah this is lame.... we are still 7 months out so I'm hoping I can talk them into something else....

Yeah this is lame.... we are still 7 months out so I'm hoping I can talk them into something else....
I would buy the basic entry-level Truebeam over a VitalBeam with any addons. Over a multi year life cycle, it's chump change in terms of cost savings as RickyScott mentioned.

Talk to your admin about how "stuck" the machine is in terms of upgradeability going forward

I would buy the basic entry-level Truebeam over a VitalBeam with any addons. Over a multi year life cycle, it's chump change in terms of cost savings as RickyScott mentioned.

Talk to your admin about how "stuck" the machine is in terms of upgradeability going forward

The irony of this is the supposed reason they went with it was because it was "modular" and could be upgraded. According to the description online "The Varian VitalBeam® system lets you access performance and value with a high-quality system built to grow with your clinic."

I guess if you mean by modular you mean bringing in a forklift to replace it....

Thanks for the help!!! I would have definitely gone with a base TrueBeam. This is what happens when a Med Onc goes shopping for linacs. Some Varian rep surely got a bonus for this one.