• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

MrNeuro

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2010
Danger Zone
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Would it be correct to say that blue light has the smallest angle of refraction (in relation to the normal)

b/c snells states n1 sin(theta1) = n2 sin(theta 2)
1(theta 1) / n2 = sin theta 2

n2 is the largest for blue light and smallest for red light hence blue should have the smallest angle of refraction.... pretty sure this is right just looking for verification

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
yes. blue light diffracts the most and therefore has the highest n value and slowest speed.

remember violet is even slower and higher n value.

pm1

Mar 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Would it be correct to say that blue light has the smallest angle of refraction (in relation to the normal)

b/c snells states n1 sin(theta1) = n2 sin(theta 2)
1(theta 1) / n2 = sin theta 2

n2 is the largest for blue light and smallest for red light hence blue should have the smallest angle of refraction.... pretty sure this is right just looking for verification

I just posted a thread about this... apparently when dispersion happens there is an exception. Blue would have a smaller n and it will bend the most. However, I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind this exception.. :(

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I just posted a thread about this... apparently when dispersion happens there is an exception. Blue would have a smaller n and it will bend the most. However, I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind this exception.. :(

which thread, please?

0fTWQ.png

generally speaking, a small n value means that there is very little diffraction going on (ie light bends less). a large n value means there is a lot of diffraction going on (ie the light bends more).

we both know that blue light bends more and therefore it has a larger n value than red light. the higher the frequency of light, the lower the velocity. therefore, purple moves the slowest, has the largest n value, and diffracts the most.

About the Ads

MrNeuro

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2010
Danger Zone
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
no i think your mistaken

blue light will have a larger n

it comes from snells law

n1sin𝛳1 = n2sin𝛳2
sin𝛳1 / sin𝛳2 = n2 / n1 = v1/ v2 = λ1f1 / λ2f2

hence the dispersion angle is dependent upon either λ or frequency and a lower wavelength (blue) will have a higher refractive index and a smaller angle of refraction

pm1

Mar 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
no i think your mistaken

blue light will have a larger n

it comes from snells law

n1sin𝛳1 = n2sin𝛳2
sin𝛳1 / sin𝛳2 = n2 / n1 = v1/ v2 = λ1f1 / λ2f2

hence the dispersion angle is dependent upon either λ or frequency and a lower wavelength (blue) will have a higher refractive index and a smaller angle of refraction

yes, I'm pretty sure I'm mistaken too.. hehe I'm trying to figure this out. Is the angle of refraction and diffraction interchangeable? how come blue light has a larger n? why is it slower?

pm1

Mar 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
which thread, please?

0fTWQ.png

generally speaking, a small n value means that there is very little diffraction going on (ie light bends less). a large n value means there is a lot of diffraction going on (ie the light bends more).

we both know that blue light bends more and therefore it has a larger n value than red light. the higher the frequency of light, the lower the velocity. therefore, purple moves the slowest, has the largest n value, and diffracts the most.

this makes sense.. but if you don't mind reading this thread.. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=906433

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm gonna regurg what I know:

Higher index = more bend.

Higher frequency = higher index = more bend.

Lower lamda = higher index = more bend.

Violet is the slowest, highest index, bends the most.
Red is the fastest,lowest index, bends the least.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
this makes sense.. but if you don't mind reading this thread.. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=906433

you need to organize your posts a little more nicely! people are more likely to read them that way.

i disagree with your premise that red light moves slowest.

Light_dispersion_conceptual_waves.gif

notice that read light moves faster than the purple. is not meant to be taken as the literal speed of light of course, but, as the title of the image suggests if you check the url, it is meant for conceptualization.

pm1

Mar 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm gonna regurg what I know:

Higher index = more bend.

Higher frequency = higher index = more bend.

Lower lamda = higher index = more bend.

Violet is the slowest, highest index, bends the most.
Red is the fastest,lowest index, bends the least.

thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.