Regent University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TherapistDave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a prof. who is completing his PhD through online courses at Regent UNiversity in Virgiania Beach, and he seems to like it and thinks it is a good school. I am wondering if it's just a degree mill, and what the attrition rate is (I can check the info myself, but if anyone has it offhand...).

As far as a mostly online program (98%), I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on the idea. Is there any loss of credibility with the program since it is (in this case) mostly online, and if so, how is that measurable in terms of prof. to student interaction?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a prof. who is completing his PhD through online courses at Regent UNiversity in Virgiania Beach, and he seems to like it and thinks it is a good school. I am wondering if it's just a degree mill, and what the attrition rate is (I can check the info myself, but if anyone has it offhand...).

As far as a mostly online program (98%), I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on the idea. Is there any loss of credibility with the program since it is (in this case) mostly online, and if so, how is that measurable in terms of prof. to student interaction?

Isn't that televangelist Pat Robertson's university? Its law school has been in the news a lot lately (see Monica Goodling, attorney firings scandal). I wouldn't want to be affiliated with that.... and that's on top of the plentiful issues with going to an online Ph.D. program, on which I'm sure others will elaborate. Seriously, don't do it.

I was going to keep my mouth shut (figuratively speaking) on this because I wasn't sure if you were looking for a religious institution, but I have to support psychanon's post. I know nothing about Regent's psychology department, other than the fact that one of their faculty is big into homosexual 'treatment' research. Make of that what you will...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people will recommend against an online PhD program in clinical psychology. There was a heated thread on this a few months ago. If it still exists that would be your best resource without repeating the same arguments for and against.

Generally speaking Regent is not considered a good school, online or in person. If you are leaning towards a religiously based institution Baylor and Loyola (Maryland) come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

My main concern was not so much the religious preference of the school, rather the implications of the online program, and the school in general. If what has been said about it is true, then I will most likely steer clear. My prof. said that it was a pretty competative program, but I don't know about that. I can think of a lot more schools that are more seclusive than the numbers he gave (1000 applicants, 50 interviews, 20 accepted).

Those numbers are totally wrong. I've never heard of ANY program, even fully funded, top rated Ph.D. programs in highly desirable locations, receive 1000 applications let alone a sketchy online program at a sketchy university in Virginia Beach (the upward end, at good schools in good locations like BU, get around 800, but more typical is 300-400). The APA's book Graduate Study in Psychology (2003 ed.) says that in 2001-2002, 48 people applied to Regent's program and 28 people were admitted.

ETA: it's not just that it's religious-- that's only a problem inasmuch as it detracts from the scientific orientation of the school-- it's that it's a controversial school with an established, radical political orientation. Whether or not you agree with that political orientation, it's a bad career move to align yourself with such a controversial institution.

See previous discussions regarding online schools. I recommend picking based off many many many criterion before factoring in convenience (not sure if you would but hey, can't hurt to say).

Also, don't expect to be taken seriously by anyone who actually knows what Regent is about. Maybe it is a good school, I have no idea. Given what they seem proud of their affiliation with Pat Robertson, instead of horribly shamed and embarassed, I'd be surprised to find out they were even "okay".

The words "evil" and "hate mongering" come to mind pretty quickly here. I wouldn't want those words attached to my degree.

Besides, your UG probably doesn't offer the pre-req courses of lynching and gay bashing.

In case anyone couldn't tell, I really don't like Pat Robertson;)

I believe you mean this quite collegial thread http://www.themot.org/gallery/v/Cats/thispigisdelicious.jpg.html

A THOUSAND applicants?? Someone wanted to sell his program....

Wow, Yarhouse is at Regent. Blech.

Take a look at the vitas of the profs. The program is deeply inbred. One or two profs staying at their alma mater is normal--the number who stayed at Regent suggests to me that they couldn't be anywhere else.

It's not that it's Christian (there are plenty of fine religious schools) or even that it's a distance degree. I agree with Psychanon--this is not a place to get a quality education. Maybe they give out INdoctorinal degrees (haha!).

I believe you mean this quite collegial thread http://www.themot.org/gallery/v/Cats/thispigisdelicious.jpg.html

A THOUSAND applicants?? Someone wanted to sell his program....

Take a look at the vitas of the profs. The program is deeply inbred. One or two profs staying at their alma mater is normal--the number who stayed at Regent suggests to me that they couldn't be anywhere else.

It's not that it's Christian (there are plenty of fine religious schools) or even that it's a distance degree. I agree with Psychanon--this is not a place to get a quality education. Maybe they give out INdoctorinal degrees (haha!).

Yarhouse, that's the name I couldn't think of (I don't know him, but have seen scripture, er, research that he's done)... I just looked at their dept faculty page and I agree with JockNerd... way too inbred (in at least one way!). Notice that the site talks about biblical principles but doesn't mention pesky ol' science.

I highly recomend tracking down the Daily Show episode where they "interview" Yarhouse (he cuddles Jason Jones on the couch so that he can learn to have a healthy father-son relationship - brilliant, considering there's so much evidence to support that parent-child relationships has any link to homosexuality). He was so easy to mock, I almost felt sorry for the guy. Almost.

On topic - bad, bad "science." I would stay far away. Unless we end up with someone like Bush in the Whitehouse - he would probably hire you to be the head of FEMA.

My main concern was not so much the religious preference of the school, rather the implications of the online program, and the school in general. If what has been said about it is true, then I will most likely steer clear. My prof. said that it was a pretty competative program, but I don't know about that. I can think of a lot more schools that are more seclusive than the numbers he gave (1000 applicants, 50 interviews, 20 accepted).

Any legitimate doctoral applicant should skip that program. I'm guessing it isn't APA accredited, which should be your first rule out. Then look at reputation, internship placement, etc. THEN look for fit/match. It sounds like a really bad investment in a very poor education for a lot of money.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
There's more weirdness.... The program reported to Insider's Guide that last year's APPIC match rate was 92%. But their average on the APPIC report was 69.1%.

71 apps, 37 offers, 27 acceptances according to Insider's.

Yarhouse is an absolute fool. If that's the kind of researcher Regent trains, run away.

What the HELL is the APA doing accrediting places like this?? We need to set up a shadow acceditation system :)

This blows my mind!

There are academically solid distance programs that cannot seem to get past the "guardians of the APA gate" but this program made it through?

From their "history" page:

"Divine Mission
The university was founded for the specific purpose of preparing leaders who would not only succeed in their professions, but also advance as Christians equipped to effectively impact their world. It was that cause that brought 70 CBN University students together in 1978 to pursue their graduate degrees in communication, albeit in rented classroom space under the guidance of seven faculty members."

It started as Robinson's Christian Broadcasting Network University!

:: shudder ::

Sorry, I realized my previous post was rather inflammatory and inappropriate. I typically pride myself on being diplomatic. Pat Robertson just happens to be one of those people who infuriate me to no end. Anyway, to keep the thread on topic, suffice to say that I don't think Regent would be a good choice in this field.

I highly recomend tracking down the Daily Show episode where they "interview" Yarhouse (he cuddles Jason Jones on the couch so that he can learn to have a healthy father-son relationship - brilliant, considering there's so much evidence to support that parent-child relationships has any link to homosexuality). He was so easy to mock, I almost felt sorry for the guy. Almost.

On topic - bad, bad "science." I would stay far away. Unless we end up with someone like Bush in the Whitehouse - he would probably hire you to be the head of FEMA.

That was Richard Cohen, not Mark Yarhouse. I think Yarhouse has a bit more sense than that. Still funny though.

Yarhouse and his ilk (Nicolosi, Throckmorton, Cameron) are all absolutely batty. Nicolosi is a good read for comedic value.

Just for clarification you guys are talking about two separate programs at regent. Their distance program is in counselor supervision and is NOT APA accredited. Their PsyD program is APA accredited and has had a 90% match rate the past couple of years but a lower rate when they first became accredited (thus the 68% past 5 years). They have currently have 1 psychology faculty who is an alumni. (one of them listed on the website has since left) They do however, have several psyds on their psychology faculty, which is not such a good sign in my opinion.

Well from the looks of it you all have pretty much helped me make a few conclusions regarding Regent University. The Master's program is CACREP and APA accredited, and the PsyD program is APA, but I see nothing about the online or distance learning stuff that is accredited.

I guess I should have had some sense to realize that for decent PhD schooling (in most cases), you can't do online stuff. It sounds like this is a step above a "buy-a-doctorate" website. The funny thing is, I don't know why or how my professor would come up with numbers like that; he is a new prof., so that might have something to do with it (delusions...):p

I'm looking into ph.d and psy.d programs, and regent is on my list...

I have a friend that goes there and likes it (he hates pat robertson, and has a some connections to a job already, so isn't concerned about the tainted degree...).

I'm very skeptical about having a degree from any institution that's associated with the religious right, but from what he's told me it's a good education...

any thoughts on how tainted the degree might be?

I can't say how people would actually discriminate when hiring, but I imagine this school should be a last resort.

We'll put it this way, if a school was founded by Hitler, and allowed someone to teach there whose "research specialization" was how to "Normalize Jewish people and bring them into the proper non-Jewish way of living" would you go there, even if it was a good school otherwise? I would be ashamed of doing so, regardless of the quality of the education, but I am not you.

This is basically the same thing. Except Hitler was at least moderately successful as a politician, whereas Pat Robertson is a miserable failure.

I would not go. I would pick another career before going to Regent. Even if that career was McManager. I probably would not hire anyone coming from Regent, but we're at least a decade away from me having any say in a hiring process that would affect you anyways. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If you could live with the above, that's okay, to each their own. Do realize that I'm far from the only person that feels this way though. Doesn't mean you wouldn't get a job you love and be happy. Choose carefully is all I can say.

KillerDiller - don't worry about deleting your post. I'll be inflammatory and inappropriate enough for the both of us (plus several more people if anyone else wants to jump on board).

I try to stay quite professional on these boards, but this is one topic I have no problems cutting loose on.

I can't say how people would actually discriminate when hiring, but I imagine this school should be a last resort.

We'll put it this way, if a school was founded by Hitler, and allowed someone to teach there whose "research specialization" was how to "Normalize Jewish people and bring them into the proper non-Jewish way of living" would you go there, even if it was a good school otherwise? I would be ashamed of doing so, regardless of the quality of the education, but I am not you.

This is basically the same thing. Except Hitler was at least moderately successful as a politician, whereas Pat Robertson is a miserable failure.

Come on Ollie, Regent is APA approved and is therefore on par with other APA approved programs. The APA says so. You must accept this.

I'm personally tired of everything under the sun being compared to Nazism and Hitler when people find it abhorrent but I understand the point you are trying to make in an educational sense. This after reading an article today on Nazi War camp brothel's.

As I said before, there are other religiously based programs (more so in a traditional sense than in training) that have great reputations. If you are going to spend that kind of money you might as well get a respected degree. If the best you can do is an online PhD from Regent start looking into different career options.

If you are going to spend that kind of money you might as well get a respected degree.

Good point. The reason Regent was a bit more appealing is that it might cost a bit less than other Psy.D programs, but now i see why. If i can get into another Psy.D program elsewhere, and have to take out the same loans, maybe a bit more, then it's an easy choice. I just need to find some reputable Psy.D programs that won't leave me 100k in debt...

Any suggestions?

I too think people are often a little too quick to make the Hitler comparison, but I felt this was one of the few situations it actually was necessary since I was going more for the name-recognition aspect than a direct comparison of their actions. I suppose I could have inserted pretty much any person widely known for public discrimination against a group of people, Hitler was just the first to come to mind.

Obviously, Regent isn't running concentration camps for homosexuals, in case anyone thought I was implying that (though honestly, that doesn't seem too far outside Pat Robertson's realm of crazy). I'm not being THAT inflammatory;) The point is that if you go there, people will affiliate your degree with hate-mongering, bigotry, etc. Even if your research is completely innocuous and is on "Helping people use god to overcome depression" or something like that, the association will be there. I wouldn't want that.

Ollie, feel free to trash Robertson in a variety of ways ad nauseum. I won't shed any tears! :horns: I honestly don't know much about him beyond his general rep. and the occasional soundbite that makes the news.

As far as Psy.D programs to look at, the big ones are Baylor and Rutgers. Both are fully funded and very competitive. I have heard Indiana State is well funded too. Widener and Loyola (MD) seem to have good reps and probably have some funding opportunities. I don't know much beyond that. Good funding will be tough to come by at most Psy.D programs. There are others here that can fill you in on the type of debt load to reasonably expect and the best programs to minimize it.

KillerDiller - don't worry about deleting your post. I'll be inflammatory and inappropriate enough for the both of us (plus several more people if anyone else wants to jump on board).

I try to stay quite professional on these boards, but this is one topic I have no problems cutting loose on.

Thanks. Your inflammatory post was more well stated than mine ;). I will bring back one point now, though. Pat Robertson is a faith healer. He has been known to try and cure AIDs through faith alone. As a clinician (I'm not one now, but intend to be), I wouldn't want the name of my university to be associated with that idea. It doesn't bode well for maintaining any sort of scientific standpoint.

It sounds like a lot of people are more concerned with trashing a program they don't like because one guy started it. But let's try to remember some things:

The university was only started by Pat R. While he may still have association with it, I highly doubt he teaches any of the Psych. program classes.

The school is APA accredited; granted, it is the Master's and PsyD program, not the PhD program, but it is APA accredited nontheless. That says something about the program.

I have yet to hear anything from anyone who actually attended the University (aside form my prof., who is actually really bright, he may have just exagerated a bit with the initial numbers). Otherwise, some of your comments seem a little harsh.

*bites lip*

Sorry T4C, I will try to control myself.

Dave, I realize Pat R. isn't teaching psych classes. The point is that he started a university with a specific philosophy in mind for it, a philosophy that based on everything I've read about the school is still VERY much a part of the education there. And yes, I have been reading up about it while posting (we have slow days at work to thank for that), so for once I'm not talking out of my ass;) I happen to not just disagree with this philosophy, but feel it is unethical and a detriment to the field as a whole. That is of course my personal opinion, and one others are free to disagree with.

So I'm sorry if I offended, but I stand by everything I have said in this thread. I do believe someone graduating from Regent will have a "tainted" degree. Like it or not, the program seems more concerned with pushing a political agenda than it does with producing productive psychologists. I admit I am not religious in ANY way, but there are a number of religious institutions I wouldn't have any problem hiring a graduate of. This is not one of them.

It sounds like a lot of people are more concerned with trashing a program they don't like because one guy started it. But let's try to remember some things:

The university was only started by Pat R. While he may still have association with it, I highly doubt he teaches any of the Psych. program classes.

The school is APA accredited; granted, it is the Master's and PsyD program, not the PhD program, but it is APA accredited nontheless. That says something about the program.

I have yet to hear anything from anyone who actually attended the University (aside form my prof., who is actually really bright, he may have just exagerated a bit with the initial numbers). Otherwise, some of your comments seem a little harsh.

Point taken, but on the topic of the APA accreditation, I happen to think that the APA sets a very low bar by accrediting some highly suspect programs. I'm not just speaking about Regent here. There are other schools and programs that are accredited that make me raise an eyebrow. Although you will run into roadblocks if the program you choose is not accredited, simply going to an APA approved school doesn't guarantee as much as it maybe should. (Side note, the APA does not accredit Masters programs, only doctoral programs).

Secondly, it's true that nobody who commented on this thread went to Regent. However, if you were to graduate with a degree from there and seek employment elsewhere, you would be relying on the school's reputation among people who didn't go there. Just something to keep in mind.

Lastly, I'm sure Pat Robertson does not literally teach a class in the psychology program. Nevertheless, the school's foundation may very well impact the curriculum, especially considering that Regent is not a very old school. At the very least, the fundamentalist philosophies will speak to the undergraduate population there, and that will affect your teaching experience as a graduate student.

Point taken, but on the topic of the APA accreditation, I happen to think that the APA sets a very low bar by accrediting some highly suspect programs. I'm not just speaking about Regent here. There are other schools and programs that are accredited that make me raise an eyebrow. Although you will run into roadblocks if the program you choose is not accredited, simply going to an APA approved school doesn't guarantee as much as it maybe should. (Side note, the APA does not accredit Masters programs, only doctoral programs).

Secondly, it's true that nobody who commented on this thread went to Regent. However, if you were to graduate with a degree from there and seek employment elsewhere, you would be relying on the school's reputation among people who didn't go there. Just something to keep in mind.

Lastly, I'm sure Pat Robertson does not literally teach a class in the psychology program. Nevertheless, the school's foundation may very well impact the curriculum, especially considering that Regent is not a very old school. At the very least, the fundamentalist philosophies will speak to the undergraduate population there, and that will affect your teaching experience as a graduate student.

Good things to bear in mind (and I misspoke about the APA accreditation in the Master's program, I meant CACREP [I think]). I can see your point about the influence from Pat on every aspect of the university, regardless of whether or not he is directly involved.

Do you think that the fact it is fundamental has so much to do with the "problems" that exist there? What about other fundamental religious schools? What are some thoughts on that matter in general? If we were to get on the subject matter of Pat Robertson himself, what are some thoughts (beside the fact that many have likened him to Hitler)?

As an individual who knows quite a few people that have graduated through the program and am looking at it myself, this year out of the 25 people in their class, 24 got matched with their top 3 APA accredited competitive 5th year internships and the last one had turned a site down due to their non-apa accreditation that later became so.

Pat Robertson sure has founded the University -- but in no way, shape, or form does his speakings have anything to do with the School of Psychology and Counseling. All the professors foster a "christian" emphasis in treating each person with respect and dignity and in no way do they push religion on anyone. The most religious aspect of their classes is a non-biased, and "christian" reflection on various Psychological topics based off of your own feelings and thoughts and limits you may uncover in your clinical practice.

The APA actually loves Regent for all of their research -- even though some of the research is controversial (and Im not saying I agree with all of it), but the APA applauds their efforts to go beyond what other Universities wouldn't even look at. Most of the people that backlash the program take into account their own personal biases and feelings about the certain topics.

The program is a great learning environment, and I honestly have never heard of the distance program. They have a great on-site program, and the campus is beautiful. Also, when I visited, I met students of all religious backgrounds who stated that they never have felt any pressure to become christian -- heck their were two that don't believe in anything!

Like I said, I've spoken with numerous students directly and they've said nothing but praise and excitment for their program -- being EXCITED about being there, which is more than I can say about a lot of programs I've visited -- most of the students I've met at other Universities complain and can't wait till it's over. I think the education is one of the most important parts.

So I understand some of your biases about Pat Robertson, and just because he started the University dosen't mean the program pushes anything he has to say .... it's APA accredited for a reason. The science def. comes first, then the inner-reflection later

Don't bash things before you know them, it's ignorance.

yea, well..the APA sets a pretty low bar as it is.

Most of the people that backlash the program take into account their own personal biases and feelings about the certain topics.

Yes, but personal feelings are largely what go into forming an opinion about anything.

It's nice that there are happy graduates of Regent. That isn't necessarily more compelling evidence than the doubts people have about the university's founder. There are happy graduates of every program, but that doesn't mean that every program is good for the field as a whole. People have every right to question a psychology program that is affiliated (even in name only) with a man who equates feminism and homosexuality with pure evil and the end of the world. Basing one's opinions on this is not any less valid than deciding the program is ok because students are happy and the research is approved by the APA.

You may notice I said I know very little about the program itself and was only commenting on its reputation. Reading their website, they do NOT come across as putting the science first. I mean, just reading their mission statement on the website it comes across about as far in the opposite direction as you can go.

That's the image they have decided to put forth. They have to lie in the mess they have made. If they had purposely distanced themselves from Robertson it would be another matter, but as I said above, there are TONS of references to him on the website and they seem proud of their affiliation with him. This may not say much about their program, but it DOES mean the word "Regent" primes the word "Sexist".

Don't expect "But its APA accredited!" to carry much weight here. Many of us are convinced APA has completely lost sight of what is important for the field and no longer reflects our best interests. While student happiness is important, it takes much more than that to make a good school:)

As an individual who knows quite a few people that have graduated through the program and am looking at it myself, this year out of the 25 people in their class, 24 got matched with their top 3 APA accredited competitive 5th year internships and the last one had turned a site down due to their non-apa accreditation that later became so.

Pat Robertson sure has founded the University -- but in no way, shape, or form does his speakings have anything to do with the School of Psychology and Counseling. All the professors foster a "christian" emphasis in treating each person with respect and dignity and in no way do they push religion on anyone. The most religious aspect of their classes is a non-biased, and "christian" reflection on various Psychological topics based off of your own feelings and thoughts and limits you may uncover in your clinical practice.

The APA actually loves Regent for all of their research -- even though some of the research is controversial (and Im not saying I agree with all of it), but the APA applauds their efforts to go beyond what other Universities wouldn't even look at. Most of the people that backlash the program take into account their own personal biases and feelings about the certain topics.

The program is a great learning environment, and I honestly have never heard of the distance program. They have a great on-site program, and the campus is beautiful. Also, when I visited, I met students of all religious backgrounds who stated that they never have felt any pressure to become christian -- heck their were two that don't believe in anything!

Like I said, I've spoken with numerous students directly and they've said nothing but praise and excitment for their program -- being EXCITED about being there, which is more than I can say about a lot of programs I've visited -- most of the students I've met at other Universities complain and can't wait till it's over. I think the education is one of the most important parts.

So I understand some of your biases about Pat Robertson, and just because he started the University dosen't mean the program pushes anything he has to say .... it's APA accredited for a reason. The science def. comes first, then the inner-reflection later

Don't bash things before you know them, it's ignorance.

Their application requires that you get a letter from a clergy member and the recommender form specifically asks, "To your knowledge, has this person made a meaningful, personal commitment to Jesus Christ." The application also has a section that applicants need to review and sign stating their philosophy of education (specifying that it is a "Christ-centered institution") and a Standard of Personal Conduct that asks that you abstain from alcohol, illicit drugs, and tobacco.

They also have a Non-Discriminatory Policy that claims that their admission policies "relate to [their] mission statement but are not applied to preclude a diverse student body in terms of race, color, religion, national origin or gender," so I guess it'spossible to attend if you aren't Christian, but why would you want to?

And I have to agree with Ollie on this one. I would not attend a school where someone was studying how to "convert" black people into white people, and I find "conversion therapy" for homosexuals to be equally repellent. If you attend a university that supports that type of research, you are condoning it, and you will, deservedly, be judged for it.

well its good thing I didn't consider that program when i was applying then....I do love my beer...:laugh: I've never understood the alcohol issue and religion too...when I grew up I got a healthy does of wine every Sunday when I took communion...:D

Even though, generally speaking, once you're a few years out of school (and licensed), no one will particularly care where you did your graduate studies or what your dissertation topic was, I would strongly encourage anyone in this situation to think long and hard about how making the choice to attend Regent could possibly limit your choices down the road. Clearly, there is a strong bias against the institution, in the mainstream, and this could have consequences in your future career. Personally, I would have lots of questions/concerns if I were interviewing a Regent graduate for a position, in terms of being confident that they had a scientific basis to their clinical approach.

I have done a lot of researching into this program, and have talked to many of the students...

I know a lot of the things they do are controversial, and I have had my doubts and asked MANY questions, but really and honestly, a lot of the students that go there aren't christian, and the program really does not bias people based off of their beliefs. The only "christian" type teaching like I said, they have reflections, a lot of which include how you would react to different situations, or what you feel about a certain topic.

The post before about being afraid if it's not scientific, every student requires a full-research based dissertation that they all work very hard on and most present at the APA. The program itself offers a lot of opportunities for growth, including a 2nd year program within the school of actually "seeing" clients (they have a full office space area just for this purpose with two way mirrors, cameras, and complete privacy for the clients) and you counseling those from the community that need someone to talk to, and a professor then meets with them as well, and you get feedback on how you are doing. Not a lot of programs I've visited offer this type of intense experience, most just have a 2nd year internship that they hardly gain actual experience into the clinical psych field,....
Plus, as you gain experience, you also get experience doing testing on people within the community as well, and this ultimatley is the best type of experience bc it teaches you full standerdization and complete practice with giving free or very cheap tests to individuals who may not have a lot of money to afford them if they went elsewhere

And I have spoken with plenty of students and they kind of laugh at Pat Robertson, he founded the school sure, and of course they all have to go with the christian foundings, (all of the professors ARE people of christ), but in no way do they push their beliefs on anyone, the program itself being Christian is more of "fostering a good experience" where everyone is valued!

And Im telling you, honestly, and I really have had MANY questions about the school, and my future if I had went there, and Im still asking myself those, but the students that I have talked to, all are in amazing clinical settings for their 5th year internship, which you REALLY have to take into account, many at MAJOR university hospitals where they could only take 2 people out of hundreds that applied

I just think other things need to be taken into account besides Pat Robertson when looking at the PsyD program, maybe even going there for yourself.

This is off the topic of Regent, but what on earth schools were you looking at?

I don't know of any that DON'T involve seeing clients actually at the school, with a setup of cameras, mirrors, etc. I thought that was just par for the course. I didn't realize there were any schools out there that didn't have an in-house clinic.

"The program itself offers a lot of opportunities for growth, including a 2nd year program within the school of actually "seeing" clients (they have a full office space area just for this purpose with two way mirrors, cameras, and complete privacy for the clients) and you counseling those from the community that need someone to talk to, and a professor then meets with them as well, and you get feedback on how you are doing. Not a lot of programs I've visited offer this type of intense experience, most just have a 2nd year internship that they hardly gain actual experience into the clinical psych field,....

I have to agree with Ollie here. What programs were you looking at?! This is standard practice, this isn't an unusual specialized "program." Myself and every person I know in clinical programs throughout the county (including "big ten" research schools like Georgia and Michigan) are videotaped and supervised closely by faculty when we start seeing clients (almost always at the university walk-in clinic/counseling center). Although research is stressed over a clinical work at these programs, all of them do outside externships at local hospitals and clinics during their training. This is standard practice, even for heavily research oriented Ph.D programs. Who gave you the idea that these things were unusual?

"Plus, as you gain experience, you also get experience doing testing on people within the community as well, and this ultimatley is the best type of experience bc it teaches you full standerdization and complete practice with giving free or very cheap tests to individuals who may not have a lot of money to afford them if they went elsewhere"

I really do not understand this paragraph, especially the "full standardization" part. Again, externships at outside agencies are common practice during 3rd and/or 4th years in all Ph.D/Psy.D programs. And yes, they are important for breadth of experience in both therapy and assessment/diagnostics. As far as giving "cheap tests to individuals who may not be able to afford it", I suppose you would get that if you worked a local community mental health center, (where service are provided on a "sliding scale") although the variety of disorders one would see in this setting would be very limited. Generally speaking, a quality externship is one that is either highly specialized (neuropsych clinic, PTSD clinic, etc.) or one that allows for seeing a variety of patient populations.

"The post before about being afraid if it's not scientific, every student requires a full-research based dissertation that they all work very hard on and most present at the APA."

Again, anyone can pump out meaningless empirical crap. There is enough of that in psychology already. Any school can "do" research, doesn't mean that its any good, right? What a good applicant should ask is, "what is the nature and quality of the work that is getting done." Is it methodologically sound and furthering our science? From what Ive seen of the faculty and their short pub lists, nothing too impressive there. Second, dissertation is supposed to be high quality and research based, there is no other way to do it! Dissertations should be of sufficient quality for publication as well, presenting at APA is not very impressive honestly.Third, although some may have obtained internships at good academic hospitals, are they apa approved, and what is the overall match rate? (i.e., what are the chances of "you" getting one of those nice internships?) Being the good statistician, you have to take into account the base rates of the occurrence getting one of these good internships at this program. If the overall match rate is 50-60%, it can be done, but the reality is that, it's not very likely.

The post before about being afraid if it's not scientific, every student requires a full-research based dissertation that they all work very hard on and most present at the APA.

This is hardly a stellar quality. Plenty of people do research. Is any of it very good is a better question. From my knowledge of the research careers of multiple faculty at Regent, I would say not especially, frankly.

The program itself offers a lot of opportunities for growth, including a 2nd year program....

What others said, this is at every program in North America.

And I have spoken with plenty of students and they kind of laugh at Pat Robertson, he founded the school sure, and of course they all have to go with the christian foundings, (all of the professors ARE people of christ), but in no way do they push their beliefs on anyone, the program itself being Christian is more of "fostering a good experience" where everyone is valued!

With apparently discriminant hiring (how else do you get a faculty full of "people of Christ")? Everyone is valued with people like M. Yarhouse on staff? Come on.