Regional Bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I was wondering how significant is regional bias for matching into competitive specialities in different regions? For context I grew up and did undergrad in the southeast, and I currently attend a top school in the southeast. Would a strong application combined with networking and away rotations allow me to overcome this? Would it help if programs have a history of taking students from my school? Would taking a research year in a target region help? From what I’ve gathered reading several threads, it seems that it is generally difficult to breakout of the southeast and I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

ERAS also gives you geographic preferences. Not sure how important these are

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s definitely bias but you’ve listed many great ways to overcome it. The reason behind it is this: students tend to rank programs based on region. West coast programs have learned the hard way that students from southeast programs with no obvious ties to the west will rank southeast programs over them.

Aways, mentor phone calls, tailored PS, and anything else to demonstrate willingness to relocate and seriously consider them may help you get an interview.

Reactions: 5 users
There’s definitely bias but you’ve listed many great ways to overcome it. The reason behind it is this: students tend to rank programs based on region. West coast programs have learned the hard way that students from southeast programs with no obvious ties to the west will rank southeast programs over them.

Aways, mentor phone calls, tailored PS, and anything else to demonstrate willingness to relocate and seriously consider them may help you get an interview.

I was under the assumption that west coast programs were sought after by everyone?!?1?

Or is it just my "Cali is superior" mentality?

I was under the assumption that west coast programs were sought after by everyone?!?1?

There are some top tier institutions out there, but even then the people getting interviews are also getting interviews at the top programs everywhere else. And they tend to rank with a strong geographic preference.

CA is certainly superior in many ways, not so great in others. Like any other place. I love it. I just wish it were cheaper, and was a bit greener in summer...

FYI the word "Cali" rubs most native Californians the wrong way. Like fingernails on a chalkboard for some reason. I don't know why, but most native Californians have a negative reaction to it. So don't use that term during an interview! Unless you're interviewing with a non-native Californian, since it seems the entire country calls us Cali...

For fun: Californian Slang and Sayings | USC American Language Institute

But yes, you can overcome the regional bias (that all regions have) by demonstrating ties (or future commitment) to the area, doing away rotations, etc.

I applied for a TY year in rural Iowa. I grew up in CA and was attending med school in a big Midwestern city. The Iowa program was quite small/close-knit. I didn't get an interview initially. I called them and they said "we didn't think you were actually interested." When I told them I was (for just the TY year!) they offered me an interview. I ultimately ended up going to a different TY an a different small rural-ish Midwestern city where I also had to call the program to tell them I was actually interested.

Bottom line is let programs know you're interested--an application often isn't enough considering the volume of applications they get. It's not uncommon for applications to get thrown out/ignored if they don't think you have any actual interest in relocating to the area.

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW

I also think I just saw an article posted by the AMA communications office...

Reactions: 1 users

It's absolutely your mentality. Those of us from the South overwhelmingly wanna stay in the South...or maybe move to Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, or Northeast. Proportionately few of us have any interest in California.

Reactions: 2 users
It's absolutely your mentality. Those of us from the South overwhelmingly wanna stay in the South...or maybe move to Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, or Northeast. Proportionately few of us have any interest in California.
Also though, there are a lot of medical students in the South who came from CA and want to go back there. Getting into a CA med school is not easy and so many of the thousands of CA pre-meds go out of state for med school ----and many to the Mid-South and Mid-Atlantic.

Also though, there are a lot of medical students in the South who came from CA and want to go back there. Getting into a CA med school is not easy and so many of the thousands of CA pre-meds go out of state for med school ----and many to the Mid-South and Mid-Atlantic.
"From the South", not transplants

It's you. Some great programs in CA, and Mrs. Spurs made me move them down my fellowship ROL because it's just prohibitively expensive, especially in peds.

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to clarify that I was joking about the "Cali is superior" thing lol

• Haha
I just want to clarify that I was joking about the "Cali is superior" thing lol
I don't know many Californians who *don't* believe California is superior. You don't have to clarify, we know you do deep down hehe jk

• Haha
It's you. Some great programs in CA, and Mrs. Spurs made me move them down my fellowship ROL because it's just prohibitively expensive, especially in peds.
Spouse wouldn't let me apply to any schools there for the exact same reason. And despite high COL, physicians there aren't paid more, and are often paid less than more affordable regions.

Politics aside, like anywhere CA has it pros and cons. The upside is pretty good though:
  • Large, diverse economy, 4th in world, I believe
  • A lot of high-paying jobs, though docs will make less in the urban centers
  • #1 in US in agricultural production
  • #1 in US in manufacturing work
  • Incubator of technology innovation, a wealth of creative and tech talent
  • Four major national laboratories
  • Great weather relative to other states, all-year round outdoor recreation
  • More national parks/monuments than any other state (I think), natural beauty/varied terrain, some 800 mi of beaches
  • Best public university system in U.S, maybe the world --- plus Stanford & Cal Tech
  • An abundance and variety of art, music, and cultural attractions, 15+ professional sports teams
It's expensive, yes. Housing in particular. State income taxes are high, especially for high income people. Some areas have crippling crime and homelessness -- but many areas are very nice (did I mention it's expensive?).

For all of its faults, CA is an enormous economic and technological growth engine.

I don't know many Californians who *don't* believe California is superior. You don't have to clarify, we know you do deep down hehe jk
We're kind of raised to believe it. Same as Texans and New Yorkers about their own state/city.

My wife and I spent 8 years in the Great Lakes region. Super friendly people--it didn't occur to them to say they were the best like Californians/Texans/New Yorkers might. More often they were very humble and after hearing we were from CA they talked about what they liked in CA and sort of joked about the Midwest in a self-deprecating manner.

After living in the so called "flyover country" we're sometimes lead to fear as coastal kids, I learned

1) Yes, it really is that cold, but more important--

2) You can more or less happily live anywhere in the US.

Except AZ--just too hot and dry. I just read an article that quoted a study saying half the city of Phoenix could end up in the ED if the whole city lost power for 3 days during a heat wave (by AZ standards, so 110's F)! If Northern Wisconsinites or Yoopers lost power for 3 days in the middle of a winter storm they'd just go outside and go ice fishing for a few days.

Reactions: 5 users

Didn’t apply to California programs while applying for residency. All California programs were at the bottom of my list for fellowship due to cost of living.