register for august pcat? please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takingoverworld

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently took the pcat for the first time, and although I studied fairly well, I'm not at all sure how I fared overall. Many of my answers were guesses for lack of knowledge (as in bio) or lack of time (as in math). I'm applying for the 2010 cycle, so I'm wondering what your opinions are for my options:

1) wait for my results and either register or don't register for the oct. Pcat accordingly;
2) register for the august pcat in anticipation of an unsatisfactory grade and continue studying hard up until that date

Keep in mind that money is an issue (I am working as a pharmacy tech and am entirely self-sufficient with the meager wage this job offers). Also, I have a 3.65 overall gpa with a 3.6 and 3.5 gpa in my pre-pharm and math/science courses, respectively. I graduated in december with a degree in kinesiology and a minor in chemistry.

Thank you for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

I feel the same way... I just took the PCAT last week for the first time and I have NO idea how I did. I have decided to wait until I get my scores, and then register for the august PCAT and pay the extra late registration fee. I believe it is 49 dollars, and you must register by august 7th. Last year's June test takers received their scores in about 5 weeks, so I figure that if I decide the day I get my scores whether to retake or not, I will still have about one month of solid studying before the August exam.

I want to take August instead of October because I'd rather update my score sooner rather than later, especially with respect to schools that have rolling admissions. Also, I have a lot less on my plate over the summer than during the school year, so I wouldn't have as much time to study if I took the PCAT in October.

If money is an issue, and you wouldn't want to pay the extra late registration fee for august, I would take it in october. If you register for the August exam before getting your scores, and then you find out you did very well and wouldn't want to retake, you basically wasted the registration fee. This is how I am thinking in reference to myself, but I hope my thoughts help you figure out what is best for you!

And good luck with waiting for the scores! I'm going crazy and it hasn't even been one week haha.

I registered for June and August at the same time. Where I live, if you don't register early, spots will fill up and you'll have to drive across the state. Take that into consideration. I also think it is ridiculous that you can't get a full refund. No one seems to like giving refunds.

I registered for June and August at the same time. Where I live, if you don't register early, spots will fill up and you'll have to drive across the state. Take that into consideration. I also think it is ridiculous that you can't get a full refund. No one seems to like giving refunds.

Wow.... so I totally didn't think about the possibility of the test center being closed. How stupid of me. For June, there were 2 colleges nearby offering it, and August there is only one. And it is full. haha. At least I could leave to go back to college early and take it at one of two testing centers about 2 hours away from my school... but hopefully I won't have to retake it. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, switching the topic a little i guess. This August, I'll be taking the PCAT for the first time, just wondering will they allow calculators, or at least let you use a periodic table?