Registering for USMLE Step III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Cash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone, question I need some information on.

Will be graduating medical school in May. Want to take USMLE Step III before starting residecy. I have read the Federation of State Medical boards websites that states there are a bunch of states that do NOT require Post-graduate training time in order to sit for the USMLE Step III. I currently reside in one of those listed states, but will most likely not be doing my residency in one of those listed states (ie. I'll be matched in a state that requires post-graduate training).

I'm wondering about a couple of things. First question: Do you have to reside in the state where you are going to take the examination. Could I just submit an application through the Medical Board of Montana which doesn't require post-graduate education, and then when I receive the scheduling permit take the exam at home in New Jersey?

Please let me know your experiences. Basically want to take USMLE Step III before starting residency on July 1 to get it out of the way. Just trying to figure out a way to make that happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought of another question after checking out the FSMB website....

Can you register through a state medical board (say Connecticut for example) even though you don't intend to take the examination in that state? I hear that the USMLE Step III is given by Prometric, and as such it seems that we might be able to take it wherever we want.

You can register for USMLE in any state as long as you meet those states requirements. It doesn't matter that you have no intention of ever visiting that state. Because the test in administered on computer through Prometric, you can take the test at any prometric testing center in any state no matter where you registered. The one caveat is that every state requires a notarized copy of your diploma before you can register.

My suggestion is for you to register in Connecticut, since they have no other requirements besides an MD and it is the state of choice for those people who live in a state with other requirements.

I am in a residency program in NY, I registered for Step 3 via Connecticut, and I took it on vacation in California (PS I passed). Now I dont ever have to think about it again.

Hope this helps