Regrading an exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I received a multiple choice exam back in my Physics class and I got a couple of the questions marked as wrong. I had circled the correct answer in the test booklet, but wrote the wrong letter down on the exam sheet. So I was wondering, could I ask my prof if I could get the exam regraded? There were only 20 questions on the exam, so these two questions make a big difference.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

TigerLilies said:
Hi,

I received a multiple choice exam back in my Physics class and I got a couple of the questions marked as wrong. I had circled the correct answer in the test booklet, but wrote the wrong letter down on the exam sheet. So I was wondering, could I ask my prof if I could get the exam regraded? There were only 20 questions on the exam, so these two questions make a big difference.

Thanks so much!

I've done the same exact thing numerous times. It probably doesn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised by the belly laugh that erupts from your profs mouth when you go to him. You're probably going to have to take this one on the chin, and be more careful next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
TigerLilies said:
Hi,

Thanks so much!
You can circle the correct answers in your test booklet AFTER you get back the exam. No offense but why should a professor believe you? I'd say no way he'll give it to you. Part of the exam is being able to transcribe the correct answer. I wouldn't even bother trying. You'll look like a foolish gunner. Sorry.

If you submitted the test booklet at the time of the test, you should definitely let him know.

TigerLilies said:
So I was wondering, could I ask my prof if I could get the exam regraded?

This is a basic decision you have to make. Do you want the two points (and possibly look like a fool) or will you ever want him to ask for a letter of recommendation?

Apparition said:
If you submitted the test booklet at the time of the test, you should definitely let him know.

Yes, I submitted the test booklet at the time of the test.

hardy said:
This is a basic decision you have to make. Do you want the two points (and possibly look like a fool) or will you ever want him to ask for a letter of recommendation?

No, I don't need a letter of recommendation from him.

little_late_MD said:
I've done the same exact thing numerous times. It probably doesn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised by the belly laugh that erupts from your profs mouth when you go to him. You're probably going to have to take this one on the chin, and be more careful next time.

Were you successful in getting the grade changed?

hardy said:

I believe it's 10 points. It's worth it only if the test is a big component in the final grade.

TigerLilies said:
Yes, I submitted the test booklet at the time of the test.
So what? If it was something where you had to show your work and how you arrived at your solution, then you should definitely get partial credit. But if it was multiple choice or a problem where the answer was right or wrong, then your final answer on the answer sheet is wrong and I thik you'd look like a fool to ask. But you know the kind of class and exam it was.

Apparition said:
I believe it's 10 points. It's worth it only if the test is a big component in the final grade.

Well I don't have anything to lose as I don't need a rec from him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Josh said:
So what? If it was something where you had to show your work and how you arrived at your solution, then you should definitely get partial credit. But if it was multiple choice or a problem where the answer was right or wrong, then your final answer on the answer sheet is wrong and I thik you'd look like a fool to ask. But you know the kind of class and exam it was.

Whatever, I am going to ask anyway. My prof is really nice, and I chat with him a lot after class, so he knows me pretty well.

TigerLilies said:
Were you successful in getting the grade changed?

Absolutely not. Although I have done this two or three times, and I only asked for credit once. The response I got, "How do I know you didn't just bubble the correct answer after I gave the exams back." I of course had no reply.

I once mixed up the order of my tests answers on the scantron sheet. I ended making 40 or 50% lower than my actual (real) grade. Good thing they had my test packet and were nice enough to go through and hand grade my test.

Being charmful, like myself, works wonders! :D

Apparition said:

Yeah, I guess I already knew the answer before I posted, just needed SDN to confirm my choice. ;) He's a a really nice person, and I know him pretty well from class/office hours, so hopefully it works out.

Thanks!

maxflash04 said:
I once mixed up the order of my tests answers on the scantron sheet. I ended making 40 or 50% lower than my actual (real) grade. Good thing they had my test packet and were nice enough to go through and hand grade my test.

Being charmful, like myself, works wonders! :D

That's true, I may not be the smartest person, but at least I am a charmer, lol. ;)

TigerLilies said:
Yeah, I guess I already knew the answer before I posted, just needed SDN to confirm my choice. ;) He's a a really nice person, and I know him pretty well from class/office hours, so hopefully it works out.

Thanks!
If all else fails ... ;)

*kidding*

TigerLilies said:
That's true, I may not be the smartest person, but at least I am a charmer, lol. ;)
Two words: fo sho ;)

Good luck!

TigerLilies said:
Hi,

Thanks so much!

I would not do this at any cost. You made the mistake, do not ask him to be responsible for it. Professors absolutely hate being put in a position where they have to refuse something that should be fairly obvious tp a student.

*Plays trumpet* Waaa Waaaaaaaa
Tough luck.

You didn't bother to check over that u put in the right answer and made a stupid mistake. Suck it up and don't do the same thing again (unless u're like me and don't care, isn't P/F grand)

Sorry OP, you marked the wrong answer on a multiple choice test. There shouldn't even be a question whether or not to ask for a regrade. If that were the case, couldn't everyone just mark their second choice for every hard question in the exam booklet and double their odds of a correct answer?

NapeSpikes said:
Sorry OP, you marked the wrong answer on a multiple choice test. There shouldn't even be a question whether or not to ask for a regrade. If that were the case, couldn't everyone just mark their second choice for every hard question in the exam booklet and double their odds of a correct answer?
Your avatar scares me.