Regrets in choosing EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its not that you haven't thought this through, its that you're a medical student and don't actually have any idea what the real world of doctoring is all about. I don't mean this as an insult as we were all the exact same way as medical students. Many of us here, on the other hand, DO have that real world experience. So, when we tell you that what you're hoping to do is going to be either A) damned near impossible or B) a huge imposition on your patients/partners, maybe, just maybe, we know what we're talking about.

Clearly the FM/EM thing is not regarded that highly yet, but what are your thoughts on EM fellowships or combined residencies. For example the new EM/CC type things, or EM/toxicology, do most physicians end up just doing one or the other? Personally I have an interested in research in those fields and such additional training may be beneficial for research/academics.

Members don't see this ad.

Clearly the FM/EM thing is not regarded that highly yet, but what are your thoughts on EM fellowships or combined residencies. For example the new EM/CC type things, or EM/toxicology, do most physicians end up just doing one or the other? Personally I have an interested in research in those fields and such additional training may be beneficial for research/academics.
I'm a family doctor so you really don't want my advice on any EM fellowships. I just jumped in on this one because of the FM part.

Ummm, my dream would be better described as working M-T clinic, and W-Th ED ( not overnight) followed by a pleasant 3 day weekend on the regular. Hey a man is allowed to dream.....

There's so much wrong with this that I feel like it would need a chart to adequately explain. I'm sure the IM people can tell you more about why working 2 DAYS in clinic is not the usual, but I can straight up tell you that I would end the interview as soon as you said you only wanted to work weekday day shifts. I will say that if you're in a huge city with a dozen plus EDs you may be able to cobble together life as a locums where you just count on multiple shops being desperate enough to pick you up for a couple of shifts a month. There would be no stability and it sounds like you would suck as an EP so I don't think this is a reasonable plan, but if you're going to do it that's how.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's so much wrong with this that I feel like it would need a chart to adequately explain. I'm sure the IM people can tell you more about why working 2 DAYS in clinic is not the usual, but I can straight up tell you that I would end the interview as soon as you said you only wanted to work weekday day shifts. I will say that if you're in a huge city with a dozen plus EDs you may be able to cobble together life as a locums where you just count on multiple shops being desperate enough to pick you up for a couple of shifts a month. There would be no stability and it sounds like you would suck as an EP so I don't think this is a reasonable plan, but if you're going to do it that's how.
Because your partners in the clinic world then have to take care of YOUR patients the remaining 3 work days. You could do urgent care for those 2 days since continuity isn't an issue, but if you're doing just urgent care anyway you can do straight EM and be fine.

EM/FM whattt??

Dude EM/derm is where its at…

Work 2 shifts EM and 1 day derm clinic 9-4 per week.

Self-refer all your ED pts: yo that pimple looks baddd, stop by my office tomorrow...

Rake in 2 mil a year at least.

Reactions: 2 users
EM/FM whattt??

Dude EM/derm is where its at…

Work 2 shifts EM and 1 day derm clinic 9-4 per week.

Self-refer all your ED pts: yo that pimple looks baddd, stop by my office tomorrow...

Rake in 2 mil a year at least.

Best reply, ever.

Reactions: 1 user
Ummm, my dream would be better described as working M-T clinic, and W-Th ED ( not overnight) followed by a pleasant 3 day weekend on the regular. Hey a man is allowed to dream.....

Haha... this is like a little puppy, chasing after a bouncing tennis ball headed straight for a busy freeway...

The real world has news for you. Nobody is giving money away. No one, anywhere, will pay you to do that job, period. That's why that job doesn't exist, and it won't exist when you get out, no matter how bad you want it. Physicians are paid to be busy and that generally involves nights, weekends, holidays, and a $%*# ton of work crammed in as fast as you can do it.

You want to go invent a computer company like Steve Jobs and become a billionaire with mailbox money rolling in every month, go ahead... you're not going to make any easy money in medicine. And if the job above is actually what you intend to sign on for.. you're probably going to be suicidal when you figure out what your real options are. No offense, but a dose of reality goes a long way.

I'll be honest: when I was an MS-2, I thought the exact same thing.

I wanted to be able to split time between being the "country doc" FM guy that walks hand-in-hand with patients over their years, and then also be able to pull 'a shift or two' in the 'ER' because I liked EM and that's cool; and then I thought I could still do both when I was an MS-3 because "Well, I saw them both now, and its cool."

There's so much after-hours work that the docs do in both fields "after the students go away" that the student never sees. I have MS-3/4s rotate with me at my shop, and sometimes we walk about "what happened after the students shift was over". They're frequently stunned to hear that I stayed another 2-3 hours to 'finish up', and even then, I still had paperwork to do/etc/etc.

My mentor as a college student/early MS 1-2 was a rural FM guy. I loved what he did, and the role that he played in the whole region. That guy works infinitely harder than I do. I can't imagine him saying - "yeah, pulling a shift or two in the ED a week... I got time to do that."

I knew a guy that did EM, and worked at it, then did a neurology residency. He even had "John Smith, MD, FACEP" on his white coat, with "Division of Neurology" right under it.

As TNR said, being boarded in 2 doesn't mean you practice in 2. Hell, if I had the drive to do derm, there is NO WAY I would work ONE MORE SHIFT in the pit, and I LOVE my job.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP: You sound extremely frustrated - maybe you made the wrong choice in joining an EM residency? If a person likes what they do, they will enjoy it - there is no "golden" speciality - a person can find enjoyment in laterally *any* speciality.

To the other posters - you can be FM boarded and do ER in suburban and rural ER's. Just do some extra EM rotations in FM residency, or choose a residency that does a lot of EM in the first place, and you may feel comfortable - if not you can take another year doing just ER work ("ER fellowship" - not offically recognized by AAFP).

If you do get dual boarded - you will be able to work the Trauma/inner city ER's - which often require EM boards. I don't see why you couldn't do part time ER and part time FM (no solo practice, no dual practice) but rather work as an "extra" part for a larger group who just needs to fill a small gap.

I had a dual boarded FM/Psych attending - she would do FM clinic, FM inhospital work - and then do Psych lectures, Psych CME, Psych administration. I had two other attendings who did part-time/per-diem work at the local suburban ER.

I knew a guy that did EM, and worked at it, then did a neurology residency. He even had "John Smith, MD, FACEP" on his white coat, with "Division of Neurology" right under it.

As TNR said, being boarded in 2 doesn't mean you practice in 2. Hell, if I had the drive to do derm, there is NO WAY I would work ONE MORE SHIFT in the pit, and I LOVE my job.

Eh, I had the grades and boards....but I HATE being in the clinic.

Congratulations! You have come to the realization that all pre meds should come to: medicine sucks. Now some aspects of medicine suck worse than others. Being a hospitalist sucks the worst, in my opinion. You're the french poodle bait dog at the pit bull fight as a hospitalist, and just about as useful. Procedurally you don't know **** and constantly call the ER to bail you out. Surgically you know less than **** and so we won't even go there. You are sort of the medical groundskeeper at the local general cemetary and never really fix anything as evidenced by the fact that your patients usually bounce back in a month or less. Usually less.

If your ambition is to be Darth Vader with a tiny lightsaber whose goal in life is to fix things instead of rule the universe, surgery is a good choice. That's assuming you escape residency without having one of your senior sith lords choke the life out of you with his invisible hand of death as you sit at the table minding your own business in your imperial issue olive drab scrubs.

ER is like a Greek Tragedy...sort of like one of those old plays where you charge into battle, accidentally kill your biodad and make a bunch of two headed babies with the woman you didn't know was your mom. It is like working at Dennys - you see the same people - but you given them drugs starting with D instead of the grand slam breakfast with a 40 ounce beer that brings them to your doorstep. Oh, to be able to say immortal words of Donald Trump to some of these people: "you're fired!". But der fuhrer needs his low information voters alive - at least until they turn 65 and it is up to you to make it so.

Family medicine: go to your local big box pet store. Make your way to the small rodent cage...you know, the place where they keep all the hamsters waiting to be fed to the snakes owned by the tatooed ER patients who can't afford their prescriptions. Now imagine this small kingdom of rodents ruled by a large cat...who happens to be a nurse. Welcome to family medicine clinic.

Many of us seek the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, and it appears that only Dermatologists find it. By the way, I have seen as many Dermatologists in a hospital as I have leprechauns.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Congratulations. You have come to the realization that all pre meds should come to: medicine sucks. Now some aspects of medicine suck worse than others. Being a hospitalist sucks the worst, in my opinion. You're the french poodle bait dog at the pit bull fight as a hospitalist, and just about as useful. Procedurally you don't know **** and constantly call the ER to bail you out. Surgically you know less than **** and so we won't even go there. You are sort of the medical groundskeeper at the local general cemetary and never really fix anything as evidenced by the fact that your patients usually bounce back in a month or less. Usually less.

If your ambition is to be Darth Vader with a tiny lightsaber whose goal in life is to fix things instead of rule the universe, surgery is a good choice. That's assuming you escape residency without having one of your senior sith lords choke the life out of you with his invisible hand of death as you sit at the table minding your own business in your imperial issue olive drab scrubs.

ER, is like a Greek Tragedy...sort of like one of those old plays where you charge into battle, accidentally kill your biodad and make a bunch of two headed babies with the woman you didn't know was your mom. It is like working at Denny's, you see the same people, but you given them drugs starting with D instead of the grand slam breakfast with a 40 ounce beer that brings them to your doorstep. Oh, to be able to say immortal words of Donald Trump to some of these people: "you're fired!". But der fuhrer needs his low information voters alive - at least until they turn 65 and it is up to you to make it so.

Family medicine: go to your local big box pet store. Make your way to the small rodent cage...you know, the place where they keep all the hamsters waiting to be fed to the snakes owned by the tatooed ER patients who can't afford their prescriptions.b. Now imagine this small kingdom of rodents ruled by a large cat. Who's a nurse. Welcome to family medicine clinic.

Many of us seek the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, and it appears that only Dermatologists find them. By the way, I have seen as many Dermatologists in a hospital as I have leprechauns.

...and I actually have an ER job that I somewhat like.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330

Quoted For Truth.

Congratulations. You have come to the realization that all pre meds should come to: medicine sucks. Now some aspects of medicine suck worse than others. Being a hospitalist sucks the worst, in my opinion. You're the french poodle bait dog at the pit bull fight as a hospitalist, and just about as useful. Procedurally you don't know **** and constantly call the ER to bail you out. Surgically you know less than **** and so we won't even go there. You are sort of the medical groundskeeper at the local general cemetary and never really fix anything as evidenced by the fact that your patients usually bounce back in a month or less. Usually less.

ER, is like a Greek Tragedy...sort of like one of those old plays where you charge into battle, accidentally kill your biodad and make a bunch of two headed babies with the woman you didn't know was your mom. It is like working at Denny's, you see the same people, but you given them drugs starting with D instead of the grand slam breakfast with a 40 ounce beer that brings them to your doorstep. Oh, to be able to say immortal words of Donald Trump to some of these people: "you're fired!". But der fuhrer needs his low information voters alive - at least until they turn 65 and it is up to you to make it so.

Family medicine: go to your local big box pet store. Make your way to the small rodent cage...you know, the place where they keep all the hamsters waiting to be fed to the snakes owned by the tatooed ER patients who can't afford their prescriptions.b. Now imagine this small kingdom of rodents ruled by a large cat. Who's a nurse. Welcome to family medicine clinic.

Many of us seek the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, and it appears that only Dermatologists find them. By the way, I have seen as many Dermatologists in a hospital as I have leprechauns.

It's been awhile since I laughed so hard that I cried. Gold.:thumbup:

I started out wanting to do ER. Who wouldn't? Awesome schedule, high pay, short residency. But after two ER rotations in fourth year, I realized how unhappy and frustrated I got on my shifts. Being forced to bear witness and manage the worst aspects of medicine and the worst patient populations made me understand that while enticing on paper, ER was not the specialty for me and that I would be doing my future patients a disservice by going into it.

Thanks now there coffee all over my computer screen!

Let's not forget the original topic of this thread...em regrets. I love my job, but third year is also the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now the job market promises never ending rainbows and unicorn farts. Ask me again in 5-10 years.

For those wanting to do em/fm or em/im. You have true grit. I commend you. And yet, market forces will push you into one or the other or into academics where you might be able to do a weird hybrid of one month in EM and one month on the ward/clinic. There might be some leeway if you owned your own urgent care and made half of it EM and half of it im/fp. Find some like minded individuals who can flip flop schedules with you and BOOM! Private EM/im/fp. All you need is about 10 million in equity and a drive like no other to churn a profit and start making money.

For those feeling down, watch this.
http://link.brightcove.com/services...g_IqBNAxcbg0V6dz09XQhAHpb&bctid=2743979698001

Reactions: 1 users
There are actually a lot of opportunities to practice EM/IM/CC... just work at a place with a lot of boarding.

Thanks now there coffee all over my computer screen!

Let's not forget the original topic of this thread...em regrets. I love my job, but third year is also the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now the job market promises never ending rainbows and unicorn farts. Ask me again in 5-10 years.

For those wanting to do em/fm or em/im. You have true grit. I commend you. And yet, market forces will push you into one or the other or into academics where you might be able to do a weird hybrid of one month in EM and one month on the ward/clinic. There might be some leeway if you owned your own urgent care and made half of it EM and half of it im/fp. Find some like minded individuals who can flip flop schedules with you and BOOM! Private EM/im/fp. All you need is about 10 million in equity and a drive like no other to churn a profit and start making money.

For those feeling down, watch this.
http://link.brightcove.com/services...g_IqBNAxcbg0V6dz09XQhAHpb&bctid=2743979698001

Disagree partially about the EM/IM comments. Previously you were right...the only way to truly do both was academia or you ended up just doing one or the other. However, combined job opportunities are exploding now that hospitals are starting to employ their EM docs more often rather than contracting with groups and so you can get a contract with one place to do both. Add in the demand for Hospitalists and EM docs and you have a great situation. Also the new Medicare rule change about 2 midnights or obs status on the inpatient side has made people with interest and qualifications to do Emergency Medicine and Observation Medicine very marketable as hospitals scramble to help their already overburdened Hospitalist service.
I was at ACEP this year and quite a few groups/hospitals and academic institutions were all over the EM-IM folks for these type of hybrid positions. They also are often willing to compensate for the fact IM makes less than EM for you to do both. Current EM-IM chiefs at my institution and at other programs that I know of are interviewing for EM-Obs Medicine jobs and getting some surprisingly sizable offers from both private and academic >$300K for not that many days of work. One of my former chiefs just took a position doing half EM and half Hospitalist with a hospital. Works 20 days a month and gets >$400K straight out of residency. Its lucrative and the opportunity cost seems less of a bear than years past with this current market.

EM/IM/CC is also exploding as both EM and Intensivist services are in demand. Pulm-CC loves the Pulm clinic and Surgery/CCM and Anesthesia/CCM want to be in the OR. EM is perfectly positioned to take some of the opportunity as Hospitals struggle to find Intensivists to staff even daytime hours let alone meet goals of closing the unit. Yet, at least right now, there is still a bias against training and hiring EM/CC (likely will get better over the next 5 years) and the pipeline is artificially narrowed with these ridiculous rules (ie. IM-CC must train 75% IM people over a 5 year period on average). More boarding will also force some institutions to develop set-ups like Mount Sinai and Henry Ford where there are dedicated ICUs in the ED. Scott Weingart has a nitch that may very well be reproducible in the years to come.

If you are willing to dedicate the years of training and plan it out well, EM/IM has the potential to really kick open some doors for you and allow for impressive diversification in your career. It does require true grit though.

Disagree partially about the EM/IM comments. Previously you were right...the only way to truly do both was academia or you ended up just doing one or the other. However, combined job opportunities are exploding now that hospitals are starting to employ their EM docs more often rather than contracting with groups and so you can get a contract with one place to do both. Add in the demand for Hospitalists and EM docs and you have a great situation. Also the new Medicare rule change about 2 midnights or obs status on the inpatient side has made people with interest and qualifications to do Emergency Medicine and Observation Medicine very marketable as hospitals scramble to help their already overburdened Hospitalist service.
I was at ACEP this year and quite a few groups/hospitals and academic institutions were all over the EM-IM folks for these type of hybrid positions. They also are often willing to compensate for the fact IM makes less than EM for you to do both. Current EM-IM chiefs at my institution and at other programs that I know of are interviewing for EM-Obs Medicine jobs and getting some surprisingly sizable offers from both private and academic >$300K for not that many days of work. One of my former chiefs just took a position doing half EM and half Hospitalist with a hospital. Works 20 days a month and gets >$400K straight out of residency. Its lucrative and the opportunity cost seems less of a bear than years past with this current market.

EM/IM/CC is also exploding as both EM and Intensivist services are in demand. Pulm-CC loves the Pulm clinic and Surgery/CCM and Anesthesia/CCM want to be in the OR. EM is perfectly positioned to take some of the opportunity as Hospitals struggle to find Intensivists to staff even daytime hours let alone meet goals of closing the unit. Yet, at least right now, there is still a bias against training and hiring EM/CC (likely will get better over the next 5 years) and the pipeline is artificially narrowed with these ridiculous rules (ie. IM-CC must train 75% IM people over a 5 year period on average). More boarding will also force some institutions to develop set-ups like Mount Sinai and Henry Ford where there are dedicated ICUs in the ED. Scott Weingart has a nitch that may very well be reproducible in the years to come.

If you are willing to dedicate the years of training and plan it out well, EM/IM has the potential to really kick open some doors for you and allow for impressive diversification in your career. It does require true grit though.

I was thinking how cool it would be to be an orthopedic surgeon or an "expert" but then realized we are experts. I can splint read an ekg put in a central line and make a difference in a few people's lives. Sure surgery sub specialties are cool but only if you love the OR.

"Works 20 days a month and gets >$400K straight out of residency"

I can name that tune in 3 notes...

Congratulations! You have come to the realization that all pre meds should come to: medicine sucks. Now some aspects of medicine suck worse than others. Being a hospitalist sucks the worst, in my opinion. You're the french poodle bait dog at the pit bull fight as a hospitalist, and just about as useful. Procedurally you don't know **** and constantly call the ER to bail you out. Surgically you know less than **** and so we won't even go there. You are sort of the medical groundskeeper at the local general cemetary and never really fix anything as evidenced by the fact that your patients usually bounce back in a month or less. Usually less.

ER is like a Greek Tragedy...sort of like one of those old plays where you charge into battle, accidentally kill your biodad and make a bunch of two headed babies with the woman you didn't know was your mom. It is like working at Dennys - you see the same people - but you given them drugs starting with D instead of the grand slam breakfast with a 40 ounce beer that brings them to your doorstep. Oh, to be able to say immortal words of Donald Trump to some of these people: "you're fired!". But der fuhrer needs his low information voters alive - at least until they turn 65 and it is up to you to make it so.

Family medicine: go to your local big box pet store. Make your way to the small rodent cage...you know, the place where they keep all the hamsters waiting to be fed to the snakes owned by the tatooed ER patients who can't afford their prescriptions. Now imagine this small kingdom of rodents ruled by a large cat...who happens to be a nurse. Welcome to family medicine clinic.

Many of us seek the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, and it appears that only Dermatologists find it. By the way, I have seen as many Dermatologists in a hospital as I have leprechauns.

This is probably the best post I've read on this forum. Well done.

Currently a PGY2 EM resident in a 3 year Midwestern program. Decided last minute to bail out on Surgery for a career in EM halfway through the interview season as a 4th year med student. Now that I spend my the majority of time in the ER dealing with the worst of the worst patients (some with legitimate emergencies but most of them not), getting talked down to by my subspecialist colleagues ("You're consulting me for WHAT?!" "No, that's not a STEMI...I'm not taking your patient to the Cath Lab" "Do you even know how to read a CT? If so, read it before you consult me for an Appy"), not really being a trauma doctor since all I do is manage the head and the airway while the Trauma surgeons have all the fun with the open thoracotomies, chest tubes, etc., and worst of all - missing out on that appreciation from a patient that you actually did something for them or helped them (and the "thanks for the dilaudid doc - no my phantom abdominal pain is all gone and yes, I will be happy to go home now... you're the best doctor in town!" is not the appreciation I'm talking about).

I'm sure for many of you in EM, these are not uncommon occurrences or feelings. And moreover, I'm sure you all knew these things before going in to Emergency Medicine. But, did you ever think that the burn out would come this quickly? Sure we do shift work, don't have to take call, really don't put in that many hours each month, and still get paid decently. But is it worth it at the cost of not having that continuity with your patients to know if anything you did for them actually mattered, of not ever being taken seriously by your patients or colleagues because you're not a master of anything (but a jack of all trades), of feeling like in the end you're basically a triage doctor, and from a financial standpoint knowing that your earning potential is capped while your friends from med school who went into plastics, ortho, or vascular will eventually (albeit a long eventually) be making 5x's more than you do on a yearly basis?

Has it occurred to anyone that while you may enjoy running around the department seeing anything from a sprained ankle to a traumatic arrest, that one day you'll be 55 or 60 years old doing the same thing that you're doing now as a resident? Kind of a sobering thought. But I guess if you LOVE it, then it's not a big deal. However, let's be honest, many people (if not the majority) who decide to ditch their original aspirations of being a surgeon or cardiologist or whatever for Emergency Med did it not because they thought EM was their calling, but because it allowed them to have a "lifestyle" outside of work. It gave them limited time at work for a nice paycheck and the time to enjoy that paycheck. I agree, that sounds awesome.

What isn't awesome are those times when a STEMI or a gnarly dissection comes in and you're limited to getting an EKG or Chest X-Ray (and maybe you have the opportunity to actually auscultate the patient with your stethescope) and consulting cards or CT surgery, respectively, and then going off to do a pelvic exam and ultimately give her a shot of rocephin with a gram of azithromycin because she has cervical motion tenderness (woopdee****indoo)...all the while your buddies are doing cool **** in the cath lab literally saving this guy from his heart attack or scrubbed in and grafting his patient's aorta and literally saving his life. Sure you had your part in saving those patients' lives - i mean it was you consulted your colleagues... but in the end, who ultimately is the one saving their lives? You or your specialist colleagues? Who walks away with greater pride and satisfaction at the end of the day knowing that all their hard work actually mattered?

So, the point of this self-inflection rant is this question... do any of you (specifically those who ended up in EM secondarily to leaving your initial aspirations to be another type of doctor) have any regrets for selling out early and not going all the way? Do you ever feel that if you had just sacked up and decided to put in the extra few years in training that your status, freedom, and pay eventually as an attending would also be much higher, and thus making all that suffering worth it?

Consider this: had you pursued your aspirations to become a cardiologist or a surgeon, then the more you work along your career path, your status, pay, and autonomy also grow accordingly. For example, you do 5 years as a gen surg resident, then you're a plastics fellow for 3 years, then maybe a hand fellowship, and at the end you're taking call from home (if you even need to take call) only to tell the ER doc to suture or set what they can and have them follow up in the office tomorrow. You have your own practice and you get to operate a few days a week and you're pulling in close to a million a year (if not more). No nights, no weekends, no holidays. Life is sweet. Sure you're probably 55 years old. But at the same time, what's your 55 year old buddy from med school who went into EM doing? He's on his 4th night shift in a row looking forward to switching to days in 2 days dealing with the homeless druggies who are yelling at him because he's trying to be noble and not give them narcotics. He's doing the same crap he was doing as a resident. He doesn't have a PA or a resident that will go in for him to see ED consults or round on patients like you do. You're sleeping next to your beautiful wife in your beautiful home, while he's stressing out and probably having an NSTEMI himself while he's at work.

Sure, EM affords a great lifestyle and job early on when you're young in your career... i mean 3 years of residency and you're out... there's no delay in gratification. Who wouldn't want to take a bite out of that apple? But, take a moment to project long-term and then compare the two career paths... then you'll see my point. Again, this thread is only for those who didn't primarily choose EM because they love EM (these are the guys that I truly envy), but rather this is for those like me who had their hearts set on something else besides EM but somehow ended up choosing this career in the end...

With that said, for those of you who have regrets (not necessarily of choosing medicine in general) but of leaving your dream of being a surgeon or whatever... would you consider going back and chasing that dream? Or have you found a way to accept your career and a way to enjoy EM? If you're like me and can't see yourself pulling full-time shifts in the ED 10, 15 years into your career... then what have you chosen as your alternative?

Wow! this was a very informative post for those who are still checking up specialties. but to be honest not even this discourages me. I hated my surgery rotation. I didnt believe I could handle a few more days being treated like crap, with those crazy longgg hours as all the residents had. always tired, just watching the same stuff lap chole, appy. I couldn't I was so depressed. the only time I felt like home was on ED when we took over the trauma calls. then it was exciting. the stabilizing the patient part, then we had to take the patient to CT and all the boring stuff started all over again.
I wanted surgery till that rotation. I think that yes EM docs will be doing the same stuff at 55, or not depending if he just decided to do something more slow paced like urgent care. while a py4 in surgery will have like 8 years of being a resident (unless he stays at general). i will be making money, i will have those 8 years aheaf of them to enjoy my life when I am still young... handling the most exciting or not so exciting cases. working less hours. to me. I dont see myself somewhere else...

I had to respond to this. While I can sympathize with the OP I have to say for those of us applying to residency in the next few years, we are the LIFESTYLE GENERATION. Many of us are not trying to work from 5am in the morning to 10pm at night as an attending. That's why EM is so popular now. It's shift work and you can secure $300k a year. ONTOP of that, many of the cases in the EM are simple FM type cases. What's so difficult about that?
OP, you have a great career. Many students would have killed to gotten into EM, especially these days (2017 onward). People seem to complain about EM having "simple FM-type cases" and "drug addicts" and all that. Honestly speaking, dealing with the medical science portion of those cases is fairly easy. So you deal with simple cases, get paid $300-350k as an attending, and only work half the month? You discovered the magic formula.

Yes...yes. I have a rough time with nights.

I currently sit in a happy ER with happy ER nurses, and happy Hospital Staff doing my Locums gig at $375/hr. I have seen 10 pts in 9 hrs, and my MLP just arrived who is excellent and picking up the last two patients.

I sit before you haven't seen a patient in 4 hrs and it is midday.

I have found a unicorn that needs staffing and just got my 5th text of the week to cover open shifts at $375/hr.

All specialty has good options, I would say ER medicine has some of the bests options.

Reactions: 7 users
I currently sit in a happy ER with happy ER nurses, and happy Hospital Staff doing my Locums gig at $375/hr. I have seen 10 pts in 9 hrs, and my MLP just arrived who is excellent and picking up the last two patients.

I have found a unicorn that needs staffing and just got my 5th text of the week to cover open shifts at $375/hr.

All specialty has good options, I would say ER medicine has some of the bests options.

Where region of the country is this/how far from a decent sized city??

So. Jealous. I thought my gig was tolerable. Might I ask if this is through a company or if you found it on your own? I never see locums advertised for more than $300 an hour. You must be an amazing negotiator.

I work nights and come in like a disposition machine. I work hard for a few hours and then chill the rest of the night. There are stretches of time where I don’t do anything. And I’m getting paid very well to do nothing. Sometimes I actually think “I can’t believe I’m getting paid this much for doing nothing.”

ER can be a sweet gig. It’s still hard work but now I’m seeing the huge upside of the great flexibility of our work and the variety of gigs out there.

Reactions: 2 users
So. Jealous. I thought my gig was tolerable. Might I ask if this is through a company or if you found it on your own? I never see locums advertised for more than $300 an hour. You must be an amazing negotiator.

You try to negotiate from a position of power and willing to walk away. Always have a suitable alternative plan. I may get an extra $25-50/hr, but most of the rate is from Bonuses.

The most I have seen is about $350/hr, maybe $375. I get $4-500/hr from bonuses.

Sometimes you luck into a situation. I get offers to cover and new gigs that comes up b/c they like me.

I do my work. Work faster and more efficient than the full timers. I am flexible to cover shifts at the right price. I get alone with the nurses.

I have been offered by the scheduler to Pick my shifts before she puts it out to other docs b/c they want me on the schedule. I currently do this which is great b/c I get to pick up 6-7 nice shifts, no weekends, no nights before anyone else gets a chance at it.

My unicorn got alittle busy today. Yesterday saw 12 in 12h yesterday. Already at 15 in 9h. Glad my MLP is here to pick me up!!!!

Currently a PGY2 EM resident in a 3 year Midwestern program. Decided last minute to bail out on Surgery for a career in EM halfway through the interview season as a 4th year med student. Now that I spend my the majority of time in the ER dealing with the worst of the worst patients (some with legitimate emergencies but most of them not), getting talked down to by my subspecialist colleagues ("You're consulting me for WHAT?!" "No, that's not a STEMI...I'm not taking your patient to the Cath Lab" "Do you even know how to read a CT? If so, read it before you consult me for an Appy"), not really being a trauma doctor since all I do is manage the head and the airway while the Trauma surgeons have all the fun with the open thoracotomies, chest tubes, etc., and worst of all - missing out on that appreciation from a patient that you actually did something for them or helped them (and the "thanks for the dilaudid doc - no my phantom abdominal pain is all gone and yes, I will be happy to go home now... you're the best doctor in town!" is not the appreciation I'm talking about).

I'm sure for many of you in EM, these are not uncommon occurrences or feelings. And moreover, I'm sure you all knew these things before going in to Emergency Medicine. But, did you ever think that the burn out would come this quickly? Sure we do shift work, don't have to take call, really don't put in that many hours each month, and still get paid decently. But is it worth it at the cost of not having that continuity with your patients to know if anything you did for them actually mattered, of not ever being taken seriously by your patients or colleagues because you're not a master of anything (but a jack of all trades), of feeling like in the end you're basically a triage doctor, and from a financial standpoint knowing that your earning potential is capped while your friends from med school who went into plastics, ortho, or vascular will eventually (albeit a long eventually) be making 5x's more than you do on a yearly basis?

Has it occurred to anyone that while you may enjoy running around the department seeing anything from a sprained ankle to a traumatic arrest, that one day you'll be 55 or 60 years old doing the same thing that you're doing now as a resident? Kind of a sobering thought. But I guess if you LOVE it, then it's not a big deal. However, let's be honest, many people (if not the majority) who decide to ditch their original aspirations of being a surgeon or cardiologist or whatever for Emergency Med did it not because they thought EM was their calling, but because it allowed them to have a "lifestyle" outside of work. It gave them limited time at work for a nice paycheck and the time to enjoy that paycheck. I agree, that sounds awesome.

What isn't awesome are those times when a STEMI or a gnarly dissection comes in and you're limited to getting an EKG or Chest X-Ray (and maybe you have the opportunity to actually auscultate the patient with your stethescope) and consulting cards or CT surgery, respectively, and then going off to do a pelvic exam and ultimately give her a shot of rocephin with a gram of azithromycin because she has cervical motion tenderness (woopdee****indoo)...all the while your buddies are doing cool **** in the cath lab literally saving this guy from his heart attack or scrubbed in and grafting his patient's aorta and literally saving his life. Sure you had your part in saving those patients' lives - i mean it was you consulted your colleagues... but in the end, who ultimately is the one saving their lives? You or your specialist colleagues? Who walks away with greater pride and satisfaction at the end of the day knowing that all their hard work actually mattered?

So, the point of this self-inflection rant is this question... do any of you (specifically those who ended up in EM secondarily to leaving your initial aspirations to be another type of doctor) have any regrets for selling out early and not going all the way? Do you ever feel that if you had just sacked up and decided to put in the extra few years in training that your status, freedom, and pay eventually as an attending would also be much higher, and thus making all that suffering worth it?

Consider this: had you pursued your aspirations to become a cardiologist or a surgeon, then the more you work along your career path, your status, pay, and autonomy also grow accordingly. For example, you do 5 years as a gen surg resident, then you're a plastics fellow for 3 years, then maybe a hand fellowship, and at the end you're taking call from home (if you even need to take call) only to tell the ER doc to suture or set what they can and have them follow up in the office tomorrow. You have your own practice and you get to operate a few days a week and you're pulling in close to a million a year (if not more). No nights, no weekends, no holidays. Life is sweet. Sure you're probably 55 years old. But at the same time, what's your 55 year old buddy from med school who went into EM doing? He's on his 4th night shift in a row looking forward to switching to days in 2 days dealing with the homeless druggies who are yelling at him because he's trying to be noble and not give them narcotics. He's doing the same crap he was doing as a resident. He doesn't have a PA or a resident that will go in for him to see ED consults or round on patients like you do. You're sleeping next to your beautiful wife in your beautiful home, while he's stressing out and probably having an NSTEMI himself while he's at work.

Sure, EM affords a great lifestyle and job early on when you're young in your career... i mean 3 years of residency and you're out... there's no delay in gratification. Who wouldn't want to take a bite out of that apple? But, take a moment to project long-term and then compare the two career paths... then you'll see my point. Again, this thread is only for those who didn't primarily choose EM because they love EM (these are the guys that I truly envy), but rather this is for those like me who had their hearts set on something else besides EM but somehow ended up choosing this career in the end...

With that said, for those of you who have regrets (not necessarily of choosing medicine in general) but of leaving your dream of being a surgeon or whatever... would you consider going back and chasing that dream? Or have you found a way to accept your career and a way to enjoy EM? If you're like me and can't see yourself pulling full-time shifts in the ED 10, 15 years into your career... then what have you chosen as your alternative?

I've been known on this forum to be a grumpy goose on Emergency Medicine (and really, medicine in general). However, not only do I disagree with your post, I find it offensive, obnoxious, and horribly misguided. I even wonder if you really are an emergency physician or just some random troll who didn't get into EM. (I've seen weirder things on SDN.) But, even if we accept you for who you are, I suspect that you're an a**hole and as such, were more suited to Surgery.

To address your points:

1. "We treat the worst patients."

It depends on where you work. I work in the rural setting and 70% of my patients are absolutely fine. Another 30% suck, but many of these are in truth from a vulnerable segment of the population, and we therefore are providing a valuable safety net service for the community.

2. "Not really being a trauma doctor."

I trained at a Level 1 trauma center and we did plenty more than just the airway. We placed chest tubes, put lines in, and even cracked chests. But, in any case, I'm so glad I no longer work in the trauma setting any more.

3. "No appreciation from patients."

Yeah, I saved a patient from almost certain death (after coding her for two hours), and she came back several months later to hug me and give me a card, with a picture of the entire extended family holding a sign thanking me.
I save at least one person per day at work. How many people can say that?

4. "You're not a master of anything."

False. I'm a master of treating the undifferentiated patient in an emergency. I do that better than anyone else. In fact, PCP's routinely send me their patients to "figure out what the hell is wrong." I can handle anything, and tell them, "send em my way; I'll take care of it."

5. "You're a triage doctor."

This is where I really started to think that you're not a real EM doctor. No real EM doctor would think that this is what we do. It's in fact an accusation thrown against us by people who only see the 10-15% of people we admit to the hospital, not the overwhelming larger number that we treat and street.
Moreover, even those we admit, we diagnose, stabilize, and begin the treatment. To me, this is the hard part. The rest is maintenance. Yeah, you on the floor can go recheck the CBC and BMP every day, lol.

6. "Specialists make 5x more than you."

My hourly salary is higher than most (all?) other doctors. I just decide to limit how many hours I work.

7. "Most people choose EM due to lifestyle choice."

False. Only idiots do that. And you're one of them. EM is not a lifestyle choice, due to the large number of evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. You're just an idiot who chose the field due to lifestyle, when we here on this forum would have told you long ago that this would be an idiotic decision.

8. "You do nothing in a STEMI or a dissection except consult your colleague."

I don't have anyone to consult. I interpret EKG's, and identify a STEMI when others would have missed it. Mattu is better at this than any cardiologist. So yeah, when I identify a STEMI on an EKG most would have called normal, yeah I have the right to feel good. And yeah, when I identify and treat a dissection, I feel good about that.

And when such patients and others crash and code, I then code them like a boss, better than anyone else. I got called to the OR for a code, and I pushed aside the clueless surgeon and anesthesiologist, and I ran that code like a boss.

Where you got this idea that I don't do anything, I don't know. I take care of sick and crashing patients from any number of disease processes, ranging from severe sepsis to heart failure to cardiac arrest.

For years after my residency, my heart would race when I was in the parking lot right before work... I'd feel super nervous because I know I'd be dealing with crazy sick patients. I've moved past this feeling, as I've explained in another thread. But, this feeling would not be there if "I didn't do anything" and "just consulted other services"--as you claim. EM is a super challenging job, and most other doctors (like you) could not hack it. The problem is that we don't give any true responsibilities to those non-EM residents (like you) who rotate in our ER. So, they see 1 non-sick patient every 2 hours and leave thinking EM is so easy.

9. "You're sleeping next to your beautiful wife in your beautiful home, while he's stressing out and probably having an NSTEMI himself while he's at work."

I thought we don't do anything -- now we're taking care of NSTEMIs?

10. "Again, this thread is only for those who didn't primarily choose EM because they love EM (these are the guys that I truly envy), but rather this is for those like me who had their hearts set on something else besides EM but somehow ended up choosing this career in the end..."

You crap all over my field, and then say this? Screw you.

You're an idiot for going into EM for lifestyle, and now you're crapping all over the speciality when in reality you should just be crapping over your own idiocy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
So, this clown posted in 2012 (and was likely trying to scramble into EM back then):

PGY-2 Opening at U.Toledo

And now, we are supposed to believe in 2018 he is just a second year EM resident?

I call bullocks. I think he did not match into EM and is now bitter.

So, this clown posted in 2012 (and was likely trying to scramble into EM back then):

And now, we are supposed to believe in 2018 he is just a second year EM resident?

The post is from 2013. OP is long gone. We're all yelling at an empty chair.
clint-and-the-chair.jpg

I feel bad for OP. Sorta. He had to have gone through a massive amount of effort to switch specialties, but apparently wasn't introspective enough to realize that most of the core components of the specialty were not for him at all. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Reactions: 3 users

Well, he posted that years ago. Last edit date December 2013.

(Although I loved your post tearing into him and agree entirely.)

"And I'm getting paid very well to do nothing. Sometimes i think, "I can't believe I getting paid this much to do nothing."

And that is why every medical student, (2017 and onwards), is DESPERATELY applying for EM.

Well, he posted that years ago. Last edit date December 2013.

(Although I loved your post tearing into him and agree entirely.)

Crap, I can't believe I got triggered by a necro-bumped thread! Argh!

Reactions: 4 users
The post is from 2013. OP is long gone. We're all yelling at an empty chair.
clint-and-the-chair.jpg

I feel bad for OP. Sorta. He had to have gone through a massive amount of effort to switch specialties, but apparently wasn't introspective enough to realize that most of the core components of the specialty were not for him at all. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Bill Brasky is a sob.. JK. EM can be tough for all. Worse with the wrong mindset.

I've been known on this forum to be a grumpy goose on Emergency Medicine (and really, medicine in general). However, not only do I disagree with your post, I find it offensive, obnoxious, and horribly misguided. I even wonder if you really are an emergency physician or just some random troll who didn't get into EM. (I've seen weirder things on SDN.) But, even if we accept you for who you are, I suspect that you're an a**hole and as such, were more suited to Surgery.

To address your points:

1. "We treat the worst patients."

It depends on where you work. I work in the rural setting and 70% of my patients are absolutely fine. Another 30% suck, but many of these are in truth from a vulnerable segment of the population, and we therefore are providing a valuable safety net service for the community.

2. "Not really being a trauma doctor."

I trained at a Level 1 trauma center and we did plenty more than just the airway. We placed chest tubes, put lines in, and even cracked chests. But, in any case, I'm so glad I no longer work in the trauma setting any more.

3. "No appreciation from patients."

Yeah, I saved a patient from almost certain death (after coding her for two hours), and she came back several months later to hug me and give me a card, with a picture of the entire extended family holding a sign thanking me.
I save at least one person per day at work. How many people can say that?

4. "You're not a master of anything."

False. I'm a master of treating the undifferentiated patient in an emergency. I do that better than anyone else. In fact, PCP's routinely send me their patients to "figure out what the hell is wrong." I can handle anything, and tell them, "send em my way; I'll take care of it."

5. "You're a triage doctor."

This is where I really started to think that you're not a real EM doctor. No real EM doctor would think that this is what we do. It's in fact an accusation thrown against us by people who only see the 10-15% of people we admit to the hospital, not the overwhelming larger number that we treat and street.
Moreover, even those we admit, we diagnose, stabilize, and begin the treatment. To me, this is the hard part. The rest is maintenance. Yeah, you on the floor can go recheck the CBC and BMP every day, lol.

6. "Specialists make 5x more than you."

My hourly salary is higher than most (all?) other doctors. I just decide to limit how many hours I work.

7. "Most people choose EM due to lifestyle choice."

False. Only idiots do that. And you're one of them. EM is not a lifestyle choice, due to the large number of evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. You're just an idiot who chose the field due to lifestyle, when we here on this forum would have told you long ago that this would be an idiotic decision.

8. "You do nothing in a STEMI or a dissection except consult your colleague."

I don't have anyone to consult. I interpret EKG's, and identify a STEMI when others would have missed it. Mattu is better at this than any cardiologist. So yeah, when I identify a STEMI on an EKG most would have called normal, yeah I have the right to feel good. And yeah, when I identify and treat a dissection, I feel good about that.

And when such patients and others crash and code, I then code them like a boss, better than anyone else. I got called to the OR for a code, and I pushed aside the clueless surgeon and anesthesiologist, and I ran that code like a boss.

Where you got this idea that I don't do anything, I don't know. I take care of sick and crashing patients from any number of disease processes, ranging from severe sepsis to heart failure to cardiac arrest.

For years after my residency, my heart would race when I was in the parking lot right before work... I'd feel super nervous because I know I'd be dealing with crazy sick patients. I've moved past this feeling, as I've explained in another thread. But, this feeling would not be there if "I didn't do anything" and "just consulted other services"--as you claim. EM is a super challenging job, and most other doctors (like you) could not hack it. The problem is that we don't give any true responsibilities to those non-EM residents (like you) who rotate in our ER. So, they see 1 non-sick patient every 2 hours and leave thinking EM is so easy.

9. "You're sleeping next to your beautiful wife in your beautiful home, while he's stressing out and probably having an NSTEMI himself while he's at work."

I thought we don't do anything -- now we're taking care of NSTEMIs?

10. "Again, this thread is only for those who didn't primarily choose EM because they love EM (these are the guys that I truly envy), but rather this is for those like me who had their hearts set on something else besides EM but somehow ended up choosing this career in the end..."

You crap all over my field, and then say this? Screw you.

You're an idiot for going into EM for lifestyle, and now you're crapping all over the speciality when in reality you should just be crapping over your own idiocy.
Dude. Nicely done

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk