Regulatory requirements for routine podiatric office services/functions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious if anyone wants to share their experiences in private practice with maintaining the regulatory requirements for routine podiatric office functions.

Example - starting a new office and buying an x-ray - I've made myself the radiation safety officer for the practice. It seems there is a requirement for the equipment/environment to be surveyed by a professional every 4 year. I'm setting this up for my new practice, and in doing so I've discovered that my old office is long out of compliance. The experience is fascinating to me because I've never heard anyone talk about this or bring it up.

Am doing all manner of things related to OSHA, office safety etc. There are absolutely annual tasks that have to be maintained here like blood borne pathogen training.

One area I'm curious on - is anyone doing anything special for their autoclave. What are you logging. Spore testing, test strips etc.
 
Coming from the perspective of a PP owner who bought into a preexisting practice:

I am blissfully unaware of any of this. I pay an annual tax to the state in the amount of $150 for my xr platform. We arbitrarily made my office manager the radiation safety officer. We have a sign posted saying "x-rays in use past this point," but we then moved the platform to a room closer to the main entrance without moving the sign, lol. No one has ever complained. No one has ever checked. We have an annual calibration by a radiation safety physicist. He doesn't seem to care.

My assistants train each other on autoclave runs. They keep a log that details...something. The instruction manual is...somewhere...so if anyone asks me any hard questions about it, that's where I'll look. Again, no one has ever checked this, no one has ever complained about this.
 
Coming from the perspective of a PP owner who bought into a preexisting practice:

I am blissfully unaware of any of this. I pay an annual tax to the state in the amount of $150 for my xr platform. We arbitrarily made my office manager the radiation safety officer. We have a sign posted saying "x-rays in use past this point," but we then moved the platform to a room closer to the main entrance without moving the sign, lol. No one has ever complained. No one has ever checked. We have an annual calibration by a radiation safety physicist. He doesn't seem to care.

My assistants train each other on autoclave runs. They keep a log that details...something. The instruction manual is...somewhere...so if anyone asks me any hard questions about it, that's where I'll look. Again, no one has ever checked this, no one has ever complained about this.
So - we are essentially the same person. Bought into an existing practice. Nothing ever happens and no one ever asks so essentially everything must be "fine".

1. To the best of my knowledge my office was originally very good at making sure all MAs who do x-ray work got state certification. But then we started to slip. "Oh - she won't last" - don't pay for her test. Paid for the testing on someone who literally gave up during the online test because they "thought they were done". Paid for them again and then they quit like 2 weeks later. I just found our radiation safety book the other day. The RSO is from 2019. Technically they are supposed to sign the book at the handoff to the new RSO. We should have had basically 2 surveys in that time. The book in fact contains some apology letter explaining why the last survey wasn't performed on time and the steps we'd take to ensure we stayed in compliance.

2. When I used to do work at different hospitals as a resident and what not I'd always wonder - why does every hospital have BBP training and fire extinguisher training. Well - now I know.

3. Autoclave though is giving me nightmares. Have never heard a word about this from anyone, but it definitely feels like there's something much more involved that we're supposed to be doing. I think you'd know if you were doing spore testing because you'd be paying for test kits or you'd own an incubator.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the x ray requirements are all state specific.. correct?
 
Seems to be. I asked AI to give examples of private practice requirements in different states and it began spouting out different frequencies of inspection for different radiographic equipment in different states. Ie. Virginia seems to be more frequent, Texas less frequent.
There are state specific requirements. I’m sure you know this, but just be careful cus AI hallucinates so gotta check the source if you’re serious about its output
 
There are state specific requirements. I’m sure you know this, but just be careful cus AI hallucinates so gotta check the source if you’re serious about its output
Yeah - I'm interested in what it comes up with, but I'm even more interested in the websites it points to ie. the actual regulatory source. I didn't actually use AI for any of my RSO/state specific radiation work. Read my state's website and then called and verified with the actual people.

That's part of why I'm still trying to figure out spore testing. The first thing it sent me to was rules for tattoo parlors or something. But its also pointing me to generalized in states rules for sterilization that it says are applicable to everyone.
 
There are state specific requirements. I’m sure you know this, but just be careful cus AI hallucinates so gotta check the source if you’re serious about its output
I still am not sold on asking AI for answers. It needs more work. All it does is just aggregate info from search engines with blind thought to it.

Until it becomes something more than just fancy Google I’m not relying on it for anything for my career. Maybe Ive just become a boomer.

Until “AI told me this” becomes defensible in court it’s a no go for me as far as practicing goes.
 
Last edited:
I still am not sold on asking AI for answers. It needs more work. All it does is just aggregate info from search engines with blind thought to it.

Until it becomes something more than just fancy Google I’m not relying on it for anything for my career. Maybe Ive just become a boomer.

Until “AI told me this” becomes defensible in court it’s a no go for me as far as practicing goes.
It's pretty good at making memes though