Reimbursement

Started by HMSBeagle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HMSBeagle

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. After reading all these posts about radiologists great salaries I have a question. How much does a radiologist get paid for reading a study? How much for Xray, MRI, CT, ultrasound etc? I know this depends on the part of the body imaged, etc but a rough estimate would be nice.
 
head = $1,000
chest = $2,000
abdomen = $3,000
testicles = $4,000

seriously. What kind of question is this?
 
Going professional rate in our area for a chest x-ray is about 6.5 to 9.5 dollars (for the major insurance carriers). MRI of brain (without and with contrast) is $127-$135. We on average collect 70% of billed. These amounts are widely variable depending on where you practice and your insurance contract.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would have to check.

I don't think we could bill $8,000 for the pair. Perhaps we should give the patient a discount and bill $7,750 for the pari?

🙂

But, seriously, what a shallow and (more importantly) economically naive question. Of course this depends on so many factors, answering the question is, quite, impossible.
 
I would have to check.

I don't think we could bill $8,000 for the pair. Perhaps we should give the patient a discount and bill $7,750 for the pari?

🙂

But, seriously, what a shallow and (more importantly) economically naive question. Of course this depends on so many factors, answering the question is, quite, impossible.
HAHAHAHA :laugh::laugh:
 
way to take that in stride.

BTW, your question's importance is not lost on me. The fact that radiologists can consider a patient's "body part" instead of the patient's psychosocial history is one of the reasons why we will always be a high-paying profession.

Does this make sense? Reimbursement depends on HMO penetration, practice set-up, partner status, regional location, billing expertise, etc. etc...