Reinvention Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

razr34

Reaction score
Did poorly in first two years of undergrad and was dismissed and decided to go back after 6 years working in tech. GPA 2.0 (60 units)
Pre-req courses from that time:
Math 1/2 - C
Chem - C-
O Chem - C-
Phys 1 - D+
Phys 2 - B
I would retake the C- and below courses either undergrad or postbacc

I did 2 semesters of online CC to get back into the college - 4.0 for 18units (doesnt count towards GPA)
I am all in on the marathon not a sprint. I realize fixing and improving my gpa will take a lot of units/time.

My main question is: Should I try to take as many courses in undergrad to boost my gpa or should I try to just get the degree (4.0 the rest of the way but uGPA will still be low) and continue on a SMP/DIY post bacc where I try to get 3.7+?
I am trying to get into MD school (assuming I need to get >514 on MCAT+ECs)

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you say that the 18 credits don't count? The AAMC requires you to include any college-level courses into the gpa that will be calculated on your application. To get to a 3.0 and not be screened out by MD schools, you will need to do another 60 credits at a 4.0. Why rule out DO schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Ideally would like to go into surgery (MD). The undergrad I am at took the CC as transfer credits and not gpa. Would MD schools then have those grades calculated into gpa for when I apply?
Also committed to the long term goal (~4 years) of fixing my gpa. Should I continue taking as many classes in undergrad?

Ideally would like to go into surgery (MD). The undergrad I am at took the CC as transfer credits and not gpa. Would MD schools then have those grades calculated into gpa for when I apply?
Also committed to the long term goal (~4 years) of fixing my gpa. Should I continue taking as many classes in undergrad?
You can go into surgery if you attend a DO school. You should look at DO Match lists. Yes, every college course you have ever taken will calculate into your GPA, regardless of how each school calculates your GPA.