Reject WITHOUT interview STATS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you nice people who care about the next generation of med school applicants, would you be so kind as to post your stats and comments why you think you were outright rejected at certain schools? THANKS so much! :) kreno

Members don't see this ad.

I think I got rejected from Georgetown and UCSF because of NUMBERS!!!! I don't think my 6 in verbal was up to their standards eventhough I scored double digits in both the sciences and a P in writing. And I'm even a URM...oh well, I was kind of expecting it....but the thing that hurt me the most was that I didn't even get a secondary from UCSF...I was at least expecting that seeing that I am a california resident....gergetown..well that's a different story...hope that helps....

rejected: IU
reason : stats, not IN resident

rejected: Uchicago
reason: stats, who really knows (the admns dir encouraged me to apply)

stats:
art school (a.a.s.)
Uchicago (b.a Bio)
amcas gpa: 3.31

final mcat score
v12 p9 b9

Members don't see this ad :)
There's really no way to tell why places outright reject you, though I agree they are probably schools that look directly at your numbers. I know there are plenty of people on this board (including myself) who have been outright rejected from some places while being outright accepted after interview at others. It's been said before and I'll say it again---it's all a crapshoot. The nest way in my estimation not to get out outright rejected would be to apply to schools whose average acceptance stats mirror your own stats. Other than that there really is no way to predict with these people!

rejected very promptly from case....

10 10 Q 10

3.88 overall gpa, 3.87 BCMP

your guess is as good as mine as to why....but i'm satisfied with 14/14 other interviews

Got out-right rejections from Case Western and Dartmouth....
Only can guess why....
My stats...
3.6 GPA , BS 11, PS 11, VR 10, and Writing P.
I am not an URM

Rejected from Eistein w/o interview, assuming b/c of....stats, boo hoo.
GPA 3.63
V7, P9, R, B11

hey member 11101, when was your app complete at georgetown?

I'm a UCSF reject:

11V 13B 13P Writing-O
3.98 gpa

shotgun method!

Little harder to predict than JUSt numbers, but here's a few addt'l ways to predict rejections:
(1) state residency,
(2) research vs. primary-orientation schools,
(3) life-experience vs. stats schools

9V-11-11 3 labs research, loads of leadership/teaching/life experience.
Georgetown, Stanford, U of Florida, Mayo Clinic, U of South Florida, UCSF, U of Chicago, U of Pittsburgh

Those are the 8 of 14 schools that have either interviewed or rejected me outright (harvard, yale, cornell, northwestern, chapel hill, virginia pending). Can you guess which three were the rejections?

look at the one LONG accepted, wait, reject thread for specifics on people, many of us posted there; including the answer to the above question :D
good luck, kreno and keep asking questions.

Rejected: UC Davis (CA resident)

GPA: 3.91
MCAT:11V, 13B, 13P

Rejected: UC Davis (CA resident)

GPA: 3.91
MCAT:11V, 13B, 13P

Rejected w/o interview: Dartmouth, UCSF, UC Davis, Stanford

California resident

UG GPA: 3.3
Cum GPA: 3.5

MCAT (April 2001): 11V, 12P, 13B

MS, Chemistry
PhD, Mol Bio (this June)

Andrew

Rejected by Einstein/Yeshiva without interview

For the second year in a row, they were the first school to reject me.

my stats:
30 MCAT, 3.6GPA, tons of clinical experience, a year of research

Einstein/Yeshiva has this policy - two strikes, you're out. If you're rejected twice, you can't apply again. It's too bad because I heard a lot of great things about the school. Maybe I'll petition next year and see if they'll let me apply again. Judging from this type of admissions policy, though, it maybe that Einstein does not like reapplicants.

<Maybe I'll petition next year and see if they'll let me apply again.

Just wanted to add that I hope it doesn't get to that point!!! ;)

GPA 3.6
MCAT 33 (12V 11P 10 B)

Rejected outright from:
* Tulane (v. mad about that one)
*Rochester
*Dartmouth
*Pitt (after they asked me to apply-those SOBs)

If only a good MCAT+ good gpa+ good EC's = interview, I think that we would all be set. This process is way too random.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining because I've been accepted somewhere already(Rochester), but i've suffered three outright rejections:

Outright Rejections:
UCSF (I AM a CA resident!)
Stanford
U Chicago

Stats:
Excellent Undergrad College, GPA 3.86
MCAT: 11V 11P 12B, T

So, I'm right there with a bunch of 'ya--the good news is that i've had like 12 other interviews, so its going well, I guess...but still!