Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

rejected by wayne recently?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bananaboat, Mar 12, 2007.

1. bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i just called wayne today and they told me they were no longer considering my application..

wayne was one of my safety schools, since i knew they looked at canadians...but i can't seem to figure out why i didn't get an interview.

i had great ec's (solid enough to get an on-site interview at mayo), a solid secondary, a 31 mcat (august 2006), and a 3.87 cummulative. i heard getting to the interview stage was pretty much based on your mcat anyway.

could it be they considered my first mcat as well?

i was complete the first week of jan. but i know some ppl with much worse stats than me who received invites. anyone have an explanation?

2. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    maybe it was because you were complete very late

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

:oops:
    yea. i hope so. i've been on "potential interview" status since jan ...so i don't think there was anything obviously wrong with my app (otherwise i would have been rejected asap).

i'll just tell myself i was late ..but i believe i have read of others being late, and at least getting to the interview stage.

4. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

browsing through mdapplicants, the other students invited from the university of toronto this cycle had 35+ mcat score.

5. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you sure that your application didn't sound this enthusiastic?

6. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

maybe you and i have different definitions of safety...

i simply felt i had a decent shot at an interview, that's what i meant.
    i would have been more than happy and enthusiastic to attend.

7. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    they just assumed you thought wayne was your safety

8. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont know about that... I would assume it was the lateness if anything... It seems like Wayne gives interviews based on numbers and gages the interest at the interview.

9. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's not your previous MCAT score, I wrote letters multiple times as well. Its because you applied late. I know a friend with pretty much your stats and applied late who got an interview...but she had 32 on MCAT. It seems you missed an interview by just one point this year...i think if you applied early you could have had a better chance...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sounds pretty competitive to me, and I would agree with everyone else that it's the lateness in the application cycle that worked against you - on the other hand, since they interview by MCAT score, there might be a pool of applicants right now with 27's that are getting interviews, so that might be tough to guage. Also, how was your MCAT distribution? If you went 12, 12, 7 to get a 31, that might also have worked against you.

11. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, and this is meant with zero offense, because I just want to see where I stand...

Has anyone been rejected by Wayne post-interview? They state that after you interview, you fall into one of 3 categories (Accepted, Alternate, No Longer Under Consideration), but I haven't heard that anyone has gotten rejected post-interview. If they waitlist everybody that they don't accept, I wonder where I might be on that waitlist...

12. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm also wondering about the same thing.

13. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

well i was definately interested...esp the clinical experiences wayne has to offer. i did call them 4 times to check the status of my application, this being the final time. perhaps i should have written a letter of interest.

14. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

no. my lowest section was a 9.

15. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    its tough for canadians...how are your decisions at albert and mayo coming along?

16. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    as i said the canuck girl i knew had 32...7,12,13 or something along those lines...so I dont think Wayne cares how you get your aggregate 32 as long as you get it...

so...banana...this year I think you needed a minimum 32 to get an interview...as a non-urm canadian student.

17. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow...that 7 would certainly raise a red flag, if I were an adcom.

But yeah, if that's the case, then 32 was probably the magic number...sorry banana! Good luck with your other schools, though. Numbers-wise, you deserve to get in somewhere.

I wonder if there's a magic number for OOS (30, maybe?)

18. eikenhein

eikenhein Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A 31 MCAT after a retry isn't exactly a hot score, especially when you are an international applicant.

19. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

well, i certainly appreciate everyone's input. good luck to those of you who'll be at wayne next year and all my fellow canadians :D

20. eikenhein

eikenhein Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It wasn't my intention to offend. I think it is agreed that Wayne interviews according to MCAT, and that Canadians undergo more rigorous scrutiny from adcoms. I just thought it was a bit presumptuous to consider it a "back up" plan.

21. OP
    OP
    bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

sheesh... for the last time, it was not a back up plan. i just thought i stood a decent chance, as opposed to, UCLA for example. i would have never applied to a school i was not truly interested in going to. especially if it was going to cost $75,000/year with everything included.

perhaps i was assuming my mcat was okay, since wayne screens for the secondary (i'm assuming based on numbers), and i made it past that. i now more clearly understand the importance of the mcat preinterview. thanks.