Rejected=Contacting schools

Started by robnon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

robnon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,
I just had a quick question (I tried to find some info on this on the boards)............if you get a rejection from a school can you contact the school and ask about what were the reasons and how you can improve. I understand the process is quite involved and many people apply, but I know other entities will do this for applicants. Has anyone had any positive experience doing this? Thanks!
 
People here report limited success doing this...some schools help, some (most?) don't...my best guess is to contact your state school(s) and ask them - make an appointment to go see the person (director/dean of admissions?)...good luck.
 
Some schools will help you, some won't. My old state school would hold personal sessions with the Dean to get his feedback. You have to call up each school and see how/if they can help you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was rejected from LECOM I called them. Everyone there is very helpful and told me that my application was fine just that I applied too late in the cycle. I re-applied right away the next cycle and was accepted. Many times the application is just fine but the sheer volume prohibits admission since toward the end of the cycle the competition gets steeper since the slots are less. Never hurts to call.
 
When I was rejected from LECOM I called them. Everyone there is very helpful and told me that my application was fine just that I applied too late in the cycle. I re-applied right away the next cycle and was accepted. Many times the application is just fine but the sheer volume prohibits admission since toward the end of the cycle the competition gets steeper since the slots are less. Never hurts to call.

How late did you apply?
 
The first time I applied the middle of September, interview in March, waitlisted, denied in June

The second time I applied the first week of June, interview in November, Acceptance mid December