rejected from OCPM !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoth Rasiley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rejected by OCPM. my last choice. Applied to all Pod schools except Arizona (for obvious reasons), but I'm starting to give up hope. Second time applying too. Stats are 2.5 sGpa and 2.4 cGpa.... 33Q on the MCAT tho, first attempt. what say you ladies and gentleboys???

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected by OCPM. my last choice. Applied to all Pod schools except Arizona (for obvious reasons), but I'm starting to give up hope. Second time applying too. Stats are 2.5 sGpa and 2.4 cGpa.... 33Q on the MCAT tho, first attempt. what say you ladies and gentleboys???

Your GPA is atrocious, even for podiatry school. Either get a quickie master's and do +3.0 work in those classes and reapply, or consider nursing.

Your GPA is atrocious, even for podiatry school. Either get a quickie master's and do +3.0 work in those classes and reapply, or consider nursing.

lol that's after the master's. It's the most frustrating thing in the world to see those with lower MCAT scores get into MD and DO schools, and I can't even get into Podiatry. Does the 90th percentile MCAT score count for nothing. Screw this system...

Members don't see this ad :)
lol that's after the master's. It's the most frustrating thing in the world to see those with lower MCAT scores get into MD and DO schools, and I can't even get into Podiatry. Does the 90th percentile MCAT score count for nothing. Screw this system...

You don't understand how a student with a 3.5 gpa and a 31 mcat is more indicative of the type of student adcoms are looking for?

Doing well on one standardized exam is great, it simply doesn't explain your ongoing and repeated inability to complete the basic academic coursework we all have to take.

I am surprised, however, that if you did well in a masters program you weren't able to get an acceptance somewhere.

What was your masters GPA?

I'm in the same boat. The MCAT isn't just some test. I have met people who've taken the exam 4-5 times and still cant break a 27. A 3.5 gpa and a 31 is definitely a competitive score. That's not what I believe is being argued. How about when people with 3.8GPA and 20MCAT get into Pod school, which I personally know of many cases. Here's the question. Which individual has shown greater scientific competency? The person with a 3.8GPA and 20 MCAT, or the person with a 2.5GPA and 33MCAT???

The MCAT is 1 exam... memorize and dump/guess right in certain situations.

gpa is accumulated over 4 years of undergraduate education.

You can work like hell for one or two months and get an acceptable MCAT score but you have to work for years to get an acceptable gpa.

IMO gpa>MCAT

Interesting choice of words.

lol no. I didn't mean it like that. I am a re-applicant remember. I meant to imply that the pod school average acceptance is 22=23, significantly lower that that of MD and DO schools.

As for masters. My master's is what brought down my GPA. Had a family emergency, and as usual, professors don't give two shyts. But I had a TA in my master's program who took the MCAT 7 times! the last two times, after completing his masters. 28 was his highest score. I got a 33 my first attempt !!!!!! I must've learned something...but the system is on your side. so I guess you guys have the last laugh.

You might want to check if your program of choice offer a master's program. Barry POD has a Master's in Anatomy. You essentially take the same courses with POD students for the first year. Just know that you have to work your butt off since there are stipulations (like maintain a 3.0 GPA per semester). Once completed you're a second year POD student and completed a master (in your case, two).

Keep head strong since professional school is not easy and requires a lot from you, it could break you. You have to be committed. Don't feel like a failure if this is your route, humble yourself and know that you got this.

I think you should have considered dropping out of your masters program if there was a family emergency and it was going to hurt your grades this bad.

Last edited:
OH and to add on to that... the TA that took it 7 times ... that really shows that he/she really wanted to get into medical school, thats some dedication.. although after 3 they average your scores sooooo not sure how well it worked out. But just b/c you can get a 33 on the mcat doesnt mean you should be automatically accepted to medical school. So don't blame the "system" for being against you. So, talk to the schools you applied to, explain your grades to them, do you have ECs? Alot of stuff can be done to make up for a low gpa..

overall though.. if you can raise your gpa... try to raise it

A 2.4 GPA dude?

Jeesh. I mean seriously. I partied my ass of and as a result got a 3.1GPA.... and that was while getting a Molecular Bio degree and working a 40hour/week job. A 2.4 GPA.... barring some family/health issues looks to admissions people that all you did was party during college and not study... or if you didnt party you did something else (like play WoW) instead of study. Why would a ADcom admit you, who has seemingly no self control except for when studying for ONE exam when there are plenty of other applicants who have better stats?

Go and do a SMP and then apply again. Or consider a entirely different field such a business.

I got a 22 on the MCAT and I studied my butt off. I got a 22 when I should have gotten a 30 because i have awful test anxiety.

Great you got a 33... amazing want a pat on the back? Your GPA is much more indicative of how you will do in school then ONE test.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a tough situation, however as a former residency director and as someone who has been involved with education, here is my opinion;

-I think it's great that you obtained a 33 on your MCAT's

-That score shows that you certainly have potential

-However, given the fact that your GPA is relatively low, it also would concern me that you may be an underachiever. In other words, you may have the potential, but may not have the drive or determination to live up to that potential

-There are many times I did not choose the academically brightest candidate for the residency, but I chose the candidate who I believed had the right mix of academics and work ethic/drive/determination based on his/her track record

-Your academic track record is "scary" despite your MCAT scores, and that may be the reason schools have been reluctant

That's just my perspective.

Well seen my GPA has always necessarily been on a roller coaster. Made the dean's list three times, but also accumulated D's and F's. no trend either. Got A's in subjects like physics, organic chem, biochem, and bioinformatics. But I got a C in physics when I retook it at another school. ultimately I got a 12 in the physical sciences section of the MCAT, so I must've learn't something...at this stage my GPA is really at a point of no return. with about 160credit hours accumulated, 100 of them science, my GPA is ultimately not going to go up significantly.....Does the fact that I have such sheer biomedical science work no account for anything?? Classes that involve either brain or cadaver dissections, IMO definitely hold more weight than than freshman or sophomore level undergraduate courses...but i guess the adcoms doesn't look at it this way. for them it's just the number that matters. they very easily seem to ignore the amount and level of coursework I have done....

lol I should've gone overseas long time ago.

lol I should've gone overseas long time ago.

couldn't have said it better myself. I have a cousin who failed out his freshman year in college. He went to a non-US accredited school in India. ROCKED his USMLE, and now he's dong a cardiology residency in Mt. Sinai in New York (very prestigious residency for cardiology for those who know). They did not even ask him about grades, just looked at his USMLE score, and hes 24 !!!!! If you have the option, go to the island schools. they're very legitimate programs, but you'll have to work. At the end of the day, just like the MCATs, everybody will take the USMLE, and you will be judged at that level....

btw. judging from your name I'm guessing you're also Indian. lol our ppls be taking over this healthcare industry...

Give it ten years and the map of HINDUSTAN will include pakistan, afghanistan, and bangladesh...

Over our dead bodies. Give it ten years and Palestine will be free from the river to the sea, and Kashmir will be free from Bangladesh to Pakistan. There will be a day when the crescent and start will fly over the Red Fort...

This is not a political movement forum.. its about premed stuff.

Getting back on topic. Numbers arent everything, BUT they mean alot.
To have a 2.4 gpa, and a 33 mcat looks super suspicious to someone looking at your transcript. By what you said, grades have been up and down, it seems like sometimes you tried , sometimes you didnt? I worked hard through college for me 3.7, and i got an average MCAT.

I think PADPM advice on what has happened is a really good insight into what others would be thinking while looking at your application.

I find it hard to believe that you got A's in all of those science classes and you got a 2.5 sGPA. Those classes were your core science classes and worth alot of credits. You must have bombed your other science classes. What does the rest of your grades look like? If you knew you wanted to go to med school, you should have known what your gpa needed to be to get in.

what the hell just happened to this thread? :confused:

Yeah and also what the hell are you guys talking about going FMG MD?

Screw that 50% of the time you dont get ANY RESIDENCY in the USA.

Sure there is that case of the one lucky guy getting a cardiology residency but how often does that happen?

If you do not want to practice in the USA that is a different story.

Why did you retake Physics when you already had an A?

You should retake courses you got C and below, get A's in them and reapply DO. They do grade replacement. That's the only way to quickly raise your GPA considering you are at over 160 hours already.

Sure there is that case of the one lucky guy getting a cardiology residency but how often does that happen?

really?? and what makes you say that??? leave it to americans to make ignorant comments...only every member of my family that was a physician overseas is also a physician over here. EACH AND EVERYONE who tried got their residency. i can count at least 15 on the back of my head....i guess it luck huh???

really?? and what makes you say that??? leave it to americans to make ignorant comments...only every member of my family that was a physician overseas is also a physician over here. EACH AND EVERYONE who tried got their residency. i can count at least 15 on the back of my head....i guess it luck huh???

Search these message boards my friend.

Ignorant american LOL wow you are a freaking jack@ss.....

Im not going to even get started on this. You are nothing but a troll. Not worth my time.

leave it to americans to make ignorant comments

I find it interesting that you bag on Americans yet you and apparently your entire family are in this great country benefiting from it. Would you care to explain?

Statistically speaking, it is more difficult for a IMG to obtain a residency in the United States, especially the more competitive ones. This is common knowledge and therefore, far from ignorant.

http://www.internationaldoc.com/

I find it interesting that you bag on Americans yet you and apparently your entire family are in this great country benefiting from it. Would you care to explain?

Statistically speaking, it is more difficult for a IMG to obtain a residency in the United States, especially the more competitive ones. This is common knowledge and therefore, far from ignorant.

http://www.internationaldoc.com/
:thumbup:

Wow.. Keep to the topic or please lock this thread. I find it very disheartening to see people fight in a place that is meant to help each other out.

As for FMG, you have to keep in mind that FMG includes all foreign students. And there are other factors to calculate. So to say that 50% seems to be unreasonable, also keep in mind why those students end up in the islands in the first place.

I gathered from your first post that you were an arrogant POS. Thank you for solidifying that.

Also, perhaps in real life you also come off this way. No wonder you weren't accepted. It might have nothing to do with your scores, but rather your elitist attitude. Next you'll probably cry racism, when in fact, people can dislike each other for many more reasons than race, such as being unnecessarily cocky.

My sincere advice: become humbled by this experience and do some introspection.

Wow.. Keep to the topic or please lock this thread. I find it very disheartening to see people fight in a place that is meant to help each other out.

As for FMG, you have to keep in mind that FMG includes all foreign students. And there are other factors to calculate. So to say that 50% seems to be unreasonable, also keep in mind why those students end up in the islands in the first place.

As of 2009:

US Allopathic (MD) 93.1%
US Osteopathic (DO) 69.9% ( I imagine that the remainder of this % matched into DO residencies)
US FMG 47.8%
Non-US FMG 41.6%

Source: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf *found under table 4

I know this will bring down a whole bunch of flak from the US IMG community and as an aside, this is separate data from those that Pre-Match/drop out etc...

Last edited:

This is absolutely true for IMGs (and I am not talking about Caribbean medical students). You need a score in the 90s or something to get into residency here in the US. If you score average like US and Caribbean medical schools, they will not look at your application. Also residencies are continuing to prefer DO students over IMGs from the Caribbean or elsewhere.

As of 2009:

US Allopathic (MD) 93.1%
US Osteopathic (DO) 69.9% ( I imagine that the remainder of this % matched into DO residencies)
US FMG 47.8%
Non-US FMG 41.6%

Source: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf *found under table 4

I know this will bring down a whole bunch of flak from the US IMG community and as an aside, this is separate data from those that Pre-Match/drop out etc...

wow.. so much for keep with the thread topic.. if you want to debate this, I am sure that there are plenty of threads. remember why students end up on the island in the first place. I am NOT disagreeing with you that it is an uphill battle for FMG. I just think that it should be discussed in a different forum. :D

I gathered from your first post that you were an arrogant POS. Thank you for solidifying that.

Also, perhaps in real life you also come off this way. No wonder you weren't accepted. It might have nothing to do with your scores, but rather your elitist attitude. Next you'll probably cry racism, when in fact, people can dislike each other for many more reasons than race, such as being unnecessarily cocky.

My sincere advice: become humbled by this experience and do some introspection.

is it cuz im tryna avoid arizona??? believe me, if anything makes sense it's that. i wouldn't quite expect you to understand. and you'll be surprised how MANY ppl have said the same thing. also, for some one to come off as elitist, you actually have to be interviewed. i was rejected at multiple schools as soon as gpa was verified....

This is not a political movement forum.. its about premed stuff.

Getting back on topic. Numbers arent everything, BUT they mean alot.
To have a 2.4 gpa, and a 33 mcat looks super suspicious to someone looking at your transcript. By what you said, grades have been up and down, it seems like sometimes you tried , sometimes you didnt? I worked hard through college for me 3.7, and i got an average MCAT.

I think PADPM advice on what has happened is a really good insight into what others would be thinking while looking at your application.

I find it hard to believe that you got A's in all of those science classes and you got a 2.5 sGPA. Those classes were your core science classes and worth alot of credits. You must have bombed your other science classes. What does the rest of your grades look like? If you knew you wanted to go to med school, you should have known what your gpa needed to be to get in.

yes my grades were on a roller coaster. some semesters I ROCKED. others I was either distracted by partying, girlfriends, going to jail (twice), getting my jaw broken, murder of a family member....and also a little bit of not caring for irrelevant science or non-science classes. I took physics twice. and got a lower grade the second time around !!!! from a A to a C. I had to do that because I switched colleges.....But now does that mean I didn't learn physics???? I got a 12 in the physical sciences section of the MCAT...but apparently that was a fluke???

couldn't have said it better myself. I have a cousin who failed out his freshman year in college. He went to a non-US accredited school in India. ROCKED his USMLE, and now he's dong a cardiology residency in Mt. Sinai in New York (very prestigious residency for cardiology for those who know). They did not even ask him about grades, just looked at his USMLE score, and hes 24 !!!!! If you have the option, go to the island schools. they're very legitimate programs, but you'll have to work. At the end of the day, just like the MCATs, everybody will take the USMLE, and you will be judged at that level....

btw. judging from your name I'm guessing you're also Indian. lol our ppls be taking over this healthcare industry...

This is one of those that we call a LIE! Whether it be the fact that he's 24 or the whole story..something doesn't fit.

Even if your friend is a genious and by some miracle started medical at the age of 18, he'd graduate at the age of 22. He would then have to do a 3 year Internal Medicine residency before he can do cardiology, which leaves him at the age of 25 and not even in cardio (and this is assuming he started medical school at the age of 18...people start college at the age of 18..)

But the point that I really meant to make is: go oversees...

yes my grades were on a roller coaster. some semesters I ROCKED. others I was either distracted by partying, girlfriends, going to jail (twice), getting my jaw broken, murder of a family member....and also a little bit of not caring for irrelevant science or non-science classes. I took physics twice. and got a lower grade the second time around !!!! from a A to a C. I had to do that because I switched colleges.....But now does that mean I didn't learn physics???? I got a 12 in the physical sciences section of the MCAT...but apparently that was a fluke???
Isn't there some type of background check involved in applying? I know there was at least some sort of disclosure.

This is why you are getting denied to medical school. "others I was either distracted by partying, girlfriends, going to jail (twice)" ... First of going to jail twice.... does not really give you any kind of boost towards medical school. Being distracted, this is why no one will even grant you an interview b/c they know that you are not a serious student.

"and also a little bit of not caring for irrelevant science or non-science classes" .. Same reasoning here.

It sounds like you really havnt tried over the course of your studies to actually BE a medical student. You have slacked off, brushed off courses like they didnt matter, and not gave a FULL effort to becoming a pre-med student in your undergraduate work. If you knew that you wanted to be a med student you should have re evaluated yourself throughout undergrad and changed your habits. The schools know that you slacked off during school by looking at your gpa... you barely meet any kind of minimum gpa req. that schools have(if you meet them at all). This is not a "blame it on the numbers" scenario. This is a blame it on the undergrad choices that you made scenario.

There is no reason that anyone should have a 33q and have that low of a gpa. You should stop focusing on how high your MCAT score was, and trying to make a point that you can take 1 test , and instead figure out how to handle the real situation at hand.. your gpa. If you cant raise your gpa, then its time to asses and ask you self.. Is this profession really for me, and whether you did all you could do to put you in a position to where you would have a chance for an interview.

Dude, forget about this negative advice people are giving you. 90% of the people on this site giving you adive could only dream about your mcat score. Your mcat score + grad status should more than grant you admission to any pod school out there. just apply to some caribbean medical schools. there is noway you are getting in sub 2.5 post masters. its just the system. As long as your credit is good, apply to some caribbean schools like SABA or St. Matthews. You will get in somewhere. Ross has a program called MERP for people in your situation. Pass MERP-->MS-->boards-->welcome to family practice/internal medicine residency most likely. You still got options.

Last edited:
wow.. so much for keep with the thread topic.. if you want to debate this, I am sure that there are plenty of threads. remember why students end up on the island in the first place. I am NOT disagreeing with you that it is an uphill battle for FMG. I just think that it should be discussed in a different forum. :D

I didn't mean to single out your comments per se, it was more for that "ignorant American" and the 15 attendings in the family comments earlier by Popat Lal:)

Dude, forget about this negative advice people are giving you. 90% of the people on this site giving you adive could only dream about your mcat score. Your mcat score + grad status should more than grant you admission to any pod school out there. just apply to some caribbean medical schools. there is noway you are getting in sub 2.5 post masters. its just the system. As long as your credit is good, apply to some caribbean schools like SABA or St. Matthews. You will get in somewhere. Ross has a program called MERP for people in your situation. Pass MERP-->MS-->boards-->welcome to family practice/internal medicine residency most likely. You still got options.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: thank you sooo much, first piece of positivity. But I really like podiatry specifically!!! thus being my second time applying. Last yr I applied with DAT scores, and didn't get in. AA=21, but i guess that was a fluke too huh??? :p I like how these standardized exams are regarded to as just one test. Look guys, I'm not the kinda person that does well in in school school. Even in high school, I was a C-D student. But I ROCKED the SAT and ACT and got a full scholarship......Even in the future. I'd much rather be the kind of person that ROCKS the boards and does average in classes, than be the person that does well in coursework and poorly on the boards...

Isn't there some type of background check involved in applying? I know there was at least some sort of disclosure.

Yes there is definitely a background check. However, both times the cases were dismissed, on account of my cooperation and help.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: thank you sooo much, first piece of positivity. But I really like podiatry specifically!!! thus being my second time applying. Last yr I applied with DAT scores, and didn't get in. AA=21, but i guess that was a fluke too huh??? :p I like how these standardized exams are regarded to as just one test. Look guys, I'm not the kinda person that does well in in school school. Even in high school, I was a C-D student. But I ROCKED the SAT and ACT and got a full scholarship......Even in the future. I'd much rather be the kind of person that ROCKS the boards and does average in classes, than be the person that does well in coursework and poorly on the boards...

The pod board are pass/fail. Congrats you passed, just like 90 whatever percent that do. Nobody knows if you passed by 1 or 50.
If you are really interested in pod, I would call the schools and speak with somebody in admissions and explain. You would be amazed what talking to an actual person can do.

What you don't seem to understand is that if you are a C student, you always be on the border of failing in Pod school. Why would a school let you in if you are just gonna fail out?

MCAT shows potential but GPA shows how much work you actually put in. If you aren't willing to put in the effort year round...you will fail out of Pod school. At Scholl we will have a total of 50 exams and quizzes in the 1st 40 weeks. You won't even have the chance to ROCK the boards if you continue being content with low grades.

FYI I had a 2.8-2.9GPA and 31 MCAT. I also took the OAT and scored a 390...99.5 percentile overall (this translates to roughly a 23-24 on the DAT). What I did was come to terms with the reason for my low GPA which is simply because I was lazy. You need to grow up and come to terms with that fact.

Last edited:
is this thread an early April fools prank?

This is the strangest thread I've read on here in awhile...

Now that admissions know that you two are indian/pakistani, aware of your gpas and histories they might recognize you and your comments/racist blow ups. You should be set for admission.

And YES some admissions do read this. The two most obvious ones are Scholl and Western (see the Scholl/Western Q and A threads). They are also pretty good at tracking down who you are. I was asked once to change an incorrect statement I made regarding a school interview via my personal email provided on my application.

Last edited by a moderator:
And YES some admissions do read this. The two most obvious ones are Scholl and Western (see the Scholl/Western Q and A threads). They are also pretty good at tracking down who you are. I was asked once to change an incorrect statement I made regarding a school interview via my personal email provided on my application.

Big brother IS watching;).

Or send warnings to these 2.. this is rediculus...

Dude, forget about this negative advice people are giving you. Your mcat score + grad status should more than grant you admission to any pod school out there. just apply to some caribbean medical schools. there is noway you are getting in sub 2.5 post masters. its just the system. As long as your credit is good, apply to some caribbean schools like SABA or St. Matthews. You will get in somewhere. Ross has a program called MERP for people in your situation. Pass MERP-->MS-->boards-->welcome to family practice/internal medicine residency most likely. You still got options.

Couldn't agree more!

MCAT>>>GPA... I had a 34Q and low GPA 3.0 and am easily in the top 1/2 of my class. While GPA can be variable based on level of college attended and grade inflation, MCAT is standardized and truely reflects your grasp of your basic science and how well you'll pick up the material at pod school.

Last edited: