Rejected from summer research program, what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkmoto121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had planned on doing biological research this summer but just recieved an email stating that I was not chosen. Stupidly I only applied to one program and so now I'm stuck not knowing what I should do. What do you guys think is the best thing for me to do all summer?

Members don't see this ad.

how are strangers who know absolutely nothing about your personal life tell you what the best thing to do over a summer is?

how are strangers who know absolutely nothing about your personal life tell you what the best thing to do over a summer is?
I mean with regard to what would look best on a medical school application... And I'm interested in research but I'm sure it's too late for that now.

Members don't see this ad :)
what year are you? how far along the process?

what year are you? how far along the process?
I am finishing my second year but started sciences late so I'm finishing my second semester of gen chem and 1st semester of molec/cellular biology.

Sounds like you need to catch up on classes so I'd recommend summer school while volunteering.

Sounds like you need to catch up on classes so I'd recommend summer school while volunteering.
Well I didn't list everything. I've also taken a year of calc, 1 year eng, a semester of physics, and all I have left is for next year to take two semesters of ochem and two of bio and one of physics. None of which are offered in the summer. Volunteering is what I figured I would do but I was just hoping for something better...

Volunteer at a lab, soup shelter, something else. Google more summer research programs with later deadlines. Speak to your professors, classmates, advisors and see if they can find you something even if it is unpaid.

contact your local hospitals, set up volunteering in their ERs/whatever they offer. Find a part time job, doesn't really have to be medically related, but something productive would be nice, unless you need money to support yourself or what not, and have some fun, honestly you are still early in your journey, and most research programs select upper class students anyway so don't worry about it too much.

If you are legitimately interested in doing some research, try talking to a professor about taking research credit in his/her lab. If you impress them after a year or so, it can easily lead to a paid position.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an idea - go to the beach?

The thing about the summer research programs is they typically get a lot of applications. You're probably better off applying to 3-4 programs you really like and be certain you have good recs for each program.

They don't have a lot to go on in making their decision. It may also benefit you to reach out to certain PIs, for some places you can look up the current research interests of the PIs, e-mail them directly after reading up on their bio/research if it's something you're passionate about, and try to convey that to them and ask if there's any way you could come in and help for the summer.

Stipends are great and all, but beggars can't be choosers. A lot of the time starting in a volunteer position with research can lead to a (minimum wage) glass-washing lab monkey position. Good luck.

If you are legitimately interested in doing some research, try talking to a professor about taking research credit in his/her lab. If you impress them after a year or so, it can easily lead to a paid position.

I agree. Just because you didn't get in a summer program doesn't mean you can't do research over the summer. See what kind of research professor at your school are doing and ask them if you could volunteer in their lab. If your problem is housing at school you could try asking professors at a university near where you live.

A problem with doing research with a professor at my school is that I'm at a comunity college right now and there isn't much of that going on.. Where do you find research labs to volunteer in?

just ask professors in any research institute around you- though particularly any university. Generally, for the summer, they lose some of their undergraduate researchers or the guys who do the grunt work- sterilization, sorting, stocking, etc.... It might take a lot of emails (i think i did at least a dozen before i found a position) but its definitely doable.

A problem with doing research with a professor at my school is that I'm at a comunity college right now and there isn't much of that going on.. Where do you find research labs to volunteer in?

You may actually be supprised to find that some community colleges end up having small research programs funded by govt programs (atleast back in 2001, when there was a better economy..but may still be possible) which are targeted to get young students interested in science + research. For instance, when I first started college, I was able to find a research program through my community college that was funded by NASA - was awesome. NASA paid our physics instructor to get a team of 12 students together, come up with experiments to test in zero-gravity, then NASA got us to go out to Johnson Space Center and put us on their KC135 - "The Vomit Comet" for 2 hours a piece so we could actually perform our experiments in simulated zero-gravity...all this was to just get people interested in science...and it worked on me -> did research every year following..and still doing it. Also, think about applying to government labs - USDA, FDA etc or as Erskin said above , other universities which may be in your area and in need of atleast a dish washer

Get a job!!!!!!!!... really get a job. It will give you some world experience outside the typical pre-med + you get extra money on the side.

yes you should still volunteer in a hospital setting. but you can't do only that all summer.

So I had planned on doing biological research this summer but just recieved an email stating that I was not chosen. Stupidly I only applied to one program and so now I'm stuck not knowing what I should do. What do you guys think is the best thing for me to do all summer?

You can *absolutely* still do research over the summer! You just need to get in touch with some professors at your local university. Sure, you won't be paid for it and it won't be an official research position, but you can then work a part time job along side and make some green.

You do realize this post is 5 years old right

Reactions: 1 users