Rejected post interview yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skijumpbump

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the rejection thread but I can not seem to get the information I need.

Has anyone been rejected post interview yet? Has anyone been waitlisted post interview yet? I know that schools are not supposed to notify you of an acceptance until after 10/15 but what about notifying you about a rejection or waitlist before this magical date?

I have interviewed at my top choice and I am waiting until 10/15 to hear back. Should I take a lack of rejection or waitlist as a good sign?

Members don't see this ad.

I called Creighton and they're officially not allowed to make any "final decisions" until October 15th, including rejections. Not sure if every school has this policy or not, though.

Makes sense that schools cannot advise a candidate that they are not selected prior to 10/15, as no school will advise a candidate that they have been accepted until after 10/15.

If schools advised candidates that they're not selected prior to 10/15 then one could logically assume that a lack of non-selection implies that a candidate HAS been selected (or at least may be waitlisted), presuming other candidates from that school HAVE been notified of non-selection. Essentially this would violate the point of not notifying candidates prior to 10/15.

Plus its far to easier for schools to just hold those non-selection snail mail letters for another few weeks until after 10/15, rather than send them out and generate a bunch of phone calls into the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense that schools cannot advise a candidate that they are not selected prior to 10/15, as no school will advise a candidate that they have been accepted until after 10/15.

If schools advised candidates that they're not selected prior to 10/15 then one could logically assume that a lack of non-selection implies that a candidate HAS been selected (or at least may be waitlisted), presuming other candidates from that school HAVE been notified of non-selection. Essentially this would violate the point of not notifying candidates prior to 10/15.

Plus its far to easier for schools to just hold those non-selection snail mail letters for another few weeks until after 10/15, rather than send them out and generate a bunch of phone calls into the admissions office.

This is simply not true. Schools can notify you of a rejection anytime they please. However, the majority are pre-interview rejections because only a small percentage of people have interviewed as of 10/15. A post-interview rejection before 10/15 is less likely, but entirely possible.

If schools advised candidates that they're not selected prior to 10/15 then one could logically assume that a lack of non-selection implies that a candidate HAS been selected

Yeah this is what I am trying to figure out. I am so anxious for 10/15 that I am trying to think of anything that will bring me hope.

Yeah this is what I am trying to figure out. I am so anxious for 10/15 that I am trying to think of anything that will bring me hope.

darnit, sdn just deleted my post, so i'll give a quick summary bc i really dont want to retype all of it.

-schools CAN give out rejections before oct15
-schools CANNOT give out acceptances before oct15
-many schools (including umich, which is where i got the information) choose not to give out either decision before oct15

darnit, sdn just deleted my post, so i'll give a quick summary bc i really dont want to retype all of it.

-schools CAN give out rejections before oct15
-schools CANNOT give out acceptances before oct15
-many schools (including umich, which is where i got the information) choose not to give out either decision before oct15

Schools cannot OFFICIALLY give acceptances until October 15th, but some schools (very few) do let applicants know what decision has been made on their application if they ask nicely.

Some schools may make offers of admission on (or after October 15) but hold the bad news until later. Who knows, as it gets closer to closing time, you might start to look a whole lot better. :D

Some schools may make offers of admission on (or after October 15) but hold the bad news until later. Who knows, as it gets closer to closing time, you might start to look a whole lot better. :D

Hahaha. Maybe instead of thank you notes we should give six packs of beer to our interviewers so that we look more attractive to them?