Rejected...Thinking about Next Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Breyean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I received three rejection letters in the mail today, so I am now officially rejected to all ten schools I applied to this cycle. I actually didn't even receive an interview, so this process really didn't go very well for me. I know I will reapply after I retake the MCAT, but I need to decide fairly quickly what I want to do next year. I know there are a ton of threads about this sort of thing and I did search, but I thought I needed my own...

Here are some possible ideas I've had...but I have questions.

NIH Post-bac: This seems like it would be a great experience. I am interested in a career in medical research and I feel like this would provide confirmation that this is really the type of career I want to pursue. Think so?

A 'Real' Job: I have a B.S. in Biochemistry, can a person actually do anything with that?

Lab Research: I've worked in the same lab as an undergraduate for two years and it has been a really good experience. The PI said I could come back next year and work full-time if I wanted. It's a molecular biology lab but it isn't medically related.

Teaching: Can I become a high school science teacher for one year or do I actually need an education degree or just become certified or something? What does that involve? How about just substitute teaching?

Peace Corps: I could really see myself doing this, but I am hesitate about the two year commitment. Is it worth it?

Americorps: I don't know anything about this, but I saw it mentioned in some previous threads. Apparently it is similar to the peace corps but you stay in America and it's only one year?

Something International: I would really love to spend the year in a developing country doing something medically related. Any programs like this exist that are about one year?

Something Else?

I know I should just do something I'd enjoy, but I honestly think I would enjoy any of these. I'm interested to hear anyone's experiences with these different options and I'd love to hear any suggestions...

Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're going to re-apply to MSTP programs, right? if so, then improving your MCAT + some additional research would be the best route.

I'm not familiar with the NIH post-bac program, but you could look into doing a research internship at the NIH that would be a great experience for an MSTP-bound applicant.

Aren't NIH post-bac applications wrapping up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't NIH post-bac applications wrapping up?

There is no deadline for NIH post-bac's. They are year-round, but you are right in that it is much easier to get into a lab this time of year. Typically it takes quite a while to find a lab, its not the kind of thing with a 2 week turn around.

Research for a year or a 1 year grad program if you want still are looking to be a mudphud.

Go international for a year otherwise.

Teaching...it depends on your state, most states require a teacher certification in order to teach at the high school level, a few are really desperate though for science teachers and you may be able to teach for a limited amount of time in an underserved area. Good luck either way!

I am taking a year off as well and have found it extremely difficult to find a 'real' job since everyone wants at least a 2-year commitment (even for research tech jobs). If you only want to take 1 year off, I think your best bet would be a NIH post-bac fellowship. It's a tiny bit late in the process but I'm sure there are still labs who are looking. At this point though, you'll probably want to be proactive and email lab PI's in addition to submitting the application.

So I received three rejection letters in the mail today, so I am now officially rejected to all ten schools I applied to this cycle. I actually didn't even receive an interview, so this process really didn't go very well for me. I know I will reapply after I retake the MCAT, but I need to decide fairly quickly what I want to do next year. I know there are a ton of threads about this sort of thing and I did search, but I thought I needed my own...

NIH Post-bac: This seems like it would be a great experience. I am interested in a career in medical research and I feel like this would provide confirmation that this is really the type of career I want to pursue. Think so?

A 'Real' Job: I have a B.S. in Biochemistry, can a person actually do anything with that?

Lab Research: I've worked in the same lab as an undergraduate for two years and it has been a really good experience. The PI said I could come back next year and work full-time if I wanted. It's a molecular biology lab but it isn't medically related.

Teaching: Can I become a high school science teacher for one year or do I actually need an education degree or just become certified or something? What does that involve? How about just substitute teaching?

Peace Corps: I could really see myself doing this, but I am hesitate about the two year commitment. Is it worth it?

Americorps: I don't know anything about this, but I saw it mentioned in some previous threads. Apparently it is similar to the peace corps but you stay in America and it's only one year?

Something International: I would really love to spend the year in a developing country doing something medically related. Any programs like this exist that are about one year?

Something Else?

I know I should just do something I'd enjoy, but I honestly think I would enjoy any of these. I'm interested to hear anyone's experiences with these different options and I'd love to hear any suggestions...

Thanks in Advance

perhaps apply straight MD. MD/PhD requires a much higher MCAT than a 28. You would need at least a 33+ to be competitive at those. With a 28 and Ohio resident you should get into Wright St. Toledo, or NEOUCOM (probably not Cincy, Case or Ohio State. Why are you so set on MD/PhD?

There is no deadline for NIH post-bac's. They are year-round, but you are right in that it is much easier to get into a lab this time of year. Typically it takes quite a while to find a lab, its not the kind of thing with a 2 week turn around.

Most post-bac hiring occurs in the beginning of the year for internships starting in August (this seems to be a standard start date). I applied at the end of July and started my internship 3 weeks later. There are usually random positions open year-round (people leave for various reasons and they need someone to fill them ASAP). I actually interviewed with 3 labs and picked the one I liked the best. I did have about 4 years of research experience prior to applying tho, so that may have made a difference.

I am about to wrap up my 2 years here in July. OP, PM me if you have more specific questions. Also, search the pre-allo forum - I know there have been a few threads recently about NIH post-bac internships.

You guys don't know how many good opportunities you guys have in the US....you got it real good. I envy you guys...

I've been working as a tech in a harvard lab for the last two years, and my advice is this: do something different. Join the Peace Corps and feed starving Mongolian children for 9 months. Do Teach for America and teach high school bio in the Bronx. Do Americorps (or City Year) and go build stuff.
MD applicants with a BS in Biochem working in a lab are a dime a dozen (I should know, I was one). If I could go back and do it all over again, I would do the Peace Corps/Teach for America (or, I would have gone to Marine Corps PLS and then OCS, but that is a seperate thought entirely). When you re-apply with a non-lab experience you'll be that much more interesting for the schools. Everyone in med school has worked in a lab, but not everyone has been to Africa and done some medical something or other over there (at the very least, you're personal statement will be much better).
So something "off the beaten track", I wish I had (and I'm getting two papers, one first author, out of my job).

I've been working as a tech in a harvard lab for the last two years, and my advice is this: do something different. Join the Peace Corps and feed starving Mongolian children for 9 months. Do Teach for America and teach high school bio in the Bronx. Do Americorps (or City Year) and go build stuff.
MD applicants with a BS in Biochem working in a lab are a dime a dozen (I should know, I was one). If I could go back and do it all over again, I would do the Peace Corps/Teach for America (or, I would have gone to Marine Corps PLS and then OCS, but that is a seperate thought entirely). When you re-apply with a non-lab experience you'll be that much more interesting for the schools. Everyone in med school has worked in a lab, but not everyone has been to Africa and done some medical something or other over there (at the very least, you're personal statement will be much better).
So something "off the beaten track", I wish I had (and I'm getting two papers, one first author, out of my job).

Yeah, if I had known how boring 2 years of full-time bench research was going to be, I def would have done something else. If you are interested in the Peace Corp, or even something like working for a non-profit org, do it.

Something Else?

Thanks in Advance

Someone suggested Teach for America, but that's super competitive to get into and I believe the deadline has passed.

If you are interested in teaching though, most private schools will allow you to teach simply with a bachelor's degree. You won't have to take any certification tests. A bunch of my friends have done/are doing this post-college and I feel that schools are looking for people that are not necessarily focused on teaching as a career as it provides diversity in their faculty.

If you're still set on MD/PhD you should (1) get a higher MCAT, and (2) keep doing research. You'll need to demonstrate a commitment to research with a relatively unbroken line of research experiences when you apply, b/c they will not take a chance on ppl who they think will not (1) complete the PhD and (2) go into a research career.

If you're going straight MD however, I agree that you should make yourself a more interesting applicant by doing something more original. Although, I tend to feel that the whole mission trip abroad thing is overrated, since so many ppl are doing it (just my perception, may be wrong), and it almost feels as though ppl are paying to get something "exotic" on their resumes and essays. I flipped through this book of med school essays and it seems like every other one is about a mission trip in a 3rd-world country and the authors all recount pretty much the same experiences. I think it ends up being as much of a cookie-cutter thing as lab research in a way.

In my opinion you would stand out more if you join some community-based organization right here in the US and actually develop and implement a novel program of your own. I think that this kind of evidence of initiative (and success in implementing it) is priceless.

BTW, this is just in terms of strengthening your app. Ultimately, you should do what you feel like doing, just make sure that you can justify it to adcoms as a formative experience that would make you a better med student/doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is not the type of suggestion people like to hear, but maybe try skipping a cycle and applying for 2009. There are a lot of great research/clin research jobs you can get for 2 years (yes, even with a BS). Working for a year before applying really shows that you're committed to improving your application, rather than just applying again while working. It also will allow you to get a year of experience with some people who can write you really good recommendations for a subsequent cycle. There's no hurry to get to med school, you should really just try to improve on holes in your app.

I know this is not the type of suggestion people like to hear, but maybe try skipping a cycle and applying for 2009. There are a lot of great research/clin research jobs you can get for 2 years (yes, even with a BS). Working for a year before applying really shows that you're committed to improving your application, rather than just applying again while working. It also will allow you to get a year of experience with some people who can write you really good recommendations for a subsequent cycle. There's no hurry to get to med school, you should really just try to improve on holes in your app.

Couldn't agree more. I'm doing clin. research right now (w/ a BA) and applying for the 2008 cycle. I'll have at least 1 awesome rec from this job.

Sorry about your rejections, Dr. Breyean. That's rough...
Teaching varies from state to state and, to a lesser extent, from district to district. There are some emergency credential spots that don't require a teaching credential, but they're now often being run by nonprof organizations whose goal is to find folks who want to become teaching. Many require two year commitments. If you were honest and let them know you were only interested in it for a year, I think you'd have a tough time getting hired at a lot of spots.

Substitute teaching doesn't pay well, and I would not assume that adcoms would think much of it.
DO NOT doe the Peace Corps just for the sake of med school applications. It definitely looks great on a resume, but even folks who really wanted to join the Peace Corps often found it very tough to do. Doing it for the wrong motivations would probably make those two years tough to stomach.
I don't think Americorps has the cache that the PC does, but it does look good on an app. Also, lots of jobs you can apply for Americorps funding while taking a nominal salary for a nonprof. Just keep in mind that the salary can be tough to live on. It's a great organization.

I know this is not the type of suggestion people like to hear, but maybe try skipping a cycle and applying for 2009. There are a lot of great research/clin research jobs you can get for 2 years (yes, even with a BS). Working for a year before applying really shows that you're committed to improving your application, rather than just applying again while working.
Totally agree with this, especially if you're going the MD/PhD route.

I know this is not the type of suggestion people like to hear, but maybe try skipping a cycle and applying for 2009. There are a lot of great research/clin research jobs you can get for 2 years (yes, even with a BS).

This is actually something I've been thinking alot about. Medical school is such a long process anyway that another year isn't going to make that much of a difference in the big scheme of things. Additionally, if I reapply for 2008, I would need to retake the MCAT fairly soon if I want to get my applications in early. I know I can do alot better on the MCAT if I really buckle down and study, but quite honestly I doubt if I will have that kind of time this quarter since I am taking a full load of classes. Plus, if I get my application in early such as June or July, it is going to be basically the same application I submitted last year, as I really haven't done anything to improve my application as of yet. If I take two years off, I will actually have a whole year to improve my application and retake the MCAT. Seems like a much better situation to me.

Also, you mentioned that there are a lot of these research jobs for two years, what is the best way to go about finding them?

Plus, if I get my application in early such as June or July, it is going to be basically the same application I submitted last year, as I really haven't done anything to improve my application as of yet. If I take two years off, I will actually have a whole year to improve my application and retake the MCAT. Seems like a much better situation to me.

Also, you mentioned that there are a lot of these research jobs for two years, what is the best way to go about finding them?

You definitely don't want to resubmit the same application, because that's a waste of money, even if you do apply early. Taking that extra year probably is your best bet. Also, I love not being in school. It's a great break, allows me to relax. If I did have to study for the MCAT, I'd have plenty of time to do it. Pretty much a win-win situation.

Finding the job depends on where you're located. I can only speak for Boston, where there are a lot of hospitals. But you should just go on to hospital websites and send your resume to as many jobs as possible. Also talk to any doctors or other people in those jobs that you know. You have to apply to a lot. I got like 3 interviews from sending my resume to 60 places. Resumes sit in HR blackholes. Connections are best. Good luck!

This is actually something I've been thinking alot about. Medical school is such a long process anyway that another year isn't going to make that much of a difference in the big scheme of things.
Very healthy way to look at it. A lot more folks screw themselves trying to rush it than screw themselves taking things too slow. Good luck with the job hunt and MCAT study...

This is actually something I've been thinking alot about. Medical school is such a long process anyway that another year isn't going to make that much of a difference in the big scheme of things. Additionally, if I reapply for 2008, I would need to retake the MCAT fairly soon if I want to get my applications in early. I know I can do alot better on the MCAT if I really buckle down and study, but quite honestly I doubt if I will have that kind of time this quarter since I am taking a full load of classes. Plus, if I get my application in early such as June or July, it is going to be basically the same application I submitted last year, as I really haven't done anything to improve my application as of yet. If I take two years off, I will actually have a whole year to improve my application and retake the MCAT. Seems like a much better situation to me.

You can find them on the med school web pages. I actually found mine through Monstertrak. I only applied to two med school positions (at Harvard Med and Weill Medical School) and got interviews for both.

I was looking for jobs in case I this year didnt happen, so I emailed my resume to every department at the medical school close to my house. In the body of the email I explained my situation (want to do md/phd, take a year or two off and reapply), and asked the program coordinators to forward my resume. The following day I got three calls regarding interviews.
Best of luck!

Re: clinical research positions, now is a great time to start looking since a lot of people in these positions stay for 2-3 years and then go back to school. Since they'll be leaving their jobs between June and August for the most part, a lot of places will be trying to fill positions right about now.

Good luck with everything, by the way!

My university has a student career website where a lot of local jobs are posted. So check with your school. They should have an office which helps recent grads find work. I also use monster and just plain old yahoo to look for internships.

Hey, man. Your stats are actually pretty good. You might be able to fluff up that MCAT, but plenty of folks get accepted with a balanced 28.

Your problem is that you didn't apply MD-only. I know, I know, you want to be an MD/PhD and all that, but at this point all you're really looking for is a foot in the door. Once you're inside, if research is your thing there will be ample opportunity. You might even be able to transition from MD to MD/PhD after a couple of years (there are always plenty of MD/PhD students who drop the PhD midstream, sometimes abandoning funding).

If I were you I'd take another crack at the MCAT and then apply more broadly in the next cycle.

You can find them on the med school web pages. I actually found mine through Monstertrak. I only applied to two med school positions (at Harvard Med and Weill Medical School) and got interviews for both.

This really sounds like the way to go. I've just started to looked at some of the medical school web pages and I am shocked at how many research positions are available. Thanks a lot for that suggestion!

Like what? I've done massive internet searches and I'm not qualified for anything. it's really been frustrating.:(

Re: clinical research positions, now is a great time to start looking since a lot of people in these positions stay for 2-3 years and then go back to school. Since they'll be leaving their jobs between June and August for the most part, a lot of places will be trying to fill positions right about now.

Good luck with everything, by the way!

How do you get clinical research positions. Going on hospital websites and job specific internet searches I could find nothing.