Rejected! What should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsherm52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.63 GPA, 28M(V8, PS8, BS12), Rejected from all MD schools even my IS school, MIzzou where I had an interview but didnt even make the waitlist. I have hospital, highscool football volunteer hours, physician shadowing, and internship where I worked in the SLU school of Med anatomy lab and their CME workshops.

I am planning on reapplying, but I do not know what I should do to improve my application.

I have been accepted to BU masters in medical sciences program and applying after that first year of graduate classes. I do not want to do that due to the price and time.

I have considered retaking the MCAT(hoping 30+), trying to get involved in research at WashU in stl, more shadowing, and more hopsital volunteering then reapplying this upcoming cycle.

What do you think I should do? special masters and wait that year to reapply or research and MCAT retake and reapply this upcoming cylce

Members don't see this ad.

smp will probably be useless if you don't increase your mcat. your gpa is fine, but your mcat is pretty bad. focus on that and get a significant research/anything-relevant job. seems like your ECs might be a little lacking, so doing some volunteering as well would be good.

Would you suggest reapplying this upcoming cycle or wait for a year still?

Members don't see this ad :)
3.63 GPA, 28M(V8, PS8, BS12), Rejected from all MD schools even my IS school, MIzzou where I had an interview but didnt even make the waitlist. I have hospital, highscool football volunteer hours, physician shadowing, and internship where I worked in the SLU school of Med anatomy lab and their CME workshops.

I am planning on reapplying, but I do not know what I should do to improve my application.

I have been accepted to BU masters in medical sciences program and applying after that first year of graduate classes. I do not want to do that due to the price and time.

I have considered retaking the MCAT(hoping 30+), trying to get involved in research at WashU in stl, more shadowing, and more hopsital volunteering then reapplying this upcoming cycle.

What do you think I should do? special masters and wait that year to reapply or research and MCAT retake and reapply this upcoming cylce

Improve your MCAT drastically. I would apply next cycle unless you can get your MCAT to a 32+ before June.

Also hit "Submit" on your application for AMCAS as soon as it opens on June 1.

Do you think that submitting my application June 1st this cylce with the 28 and then retaking the MCAT in July(32+) would still give me a shot? or no?

Do you think that submitting my application June 1st this cylce with the 28 and then retaking the MCAT in July(32+) would still give me a shot? or no?

28 is closer for DO schools, not MD. I don't think it will hurt you other than the money you pay for applications, but I would wait. If you improve your MCAT while taking more courses, do well in those, and get more EC's like clinical experience, you will have a stronger application.

it's the MCAT. Get that up. Looks like you could use more chem/physics work.

Don't go to grad school, your grades are fine unless you have a mediocre sGPA. Apply early and broadly. Don't submit AMCAS again without a better MCAT in hand. 8-11-12 is so so much better than 8-8-12.

Definitely apply DO to increase your chances for next year; I think you would be a competitive candidate. OR increase your MCAT scores and reapply both MD/DO

Retake the MCAT and reapply. Good thing is that your GPA is solid and if you can fix the mcat you'll definitively make it within 1 or 2 cycles

In addition to above posts, if Mizzou offers feedback on your application, definitely go meet them in person. That way you know exactly what they are looking for.

I would give more consideration to the master's program. Also, you can probably bump your MCAT to triple doubles...you're really close as it is. Even though it would suck to take more time than you wanted, a master's will still add to your CV in the event you would need other qualifications elsewhere, it will look good to the ADCOMs as long as you perform well. And there should be ways to pay for it depending on the program. For example, some programs will disburse merit based scholarships ( I got one of those), others will offer ways to earn your tuition. I did teaching assisting during my master's program and it waived tuition on top of paying me. You could probably find something similar.

I would consider re-taking the MCAT if you feel you can devote more time for prep. If you do re-take DO NOT take anything for granted, you have re-commit like it was your first time only shot.
And just think about the master's program, when I made this decision I figured I would rather not gamble ..or rather make the gamble as small as possible because the app process is a gamble no matter what...so I did the program. For me, it really helped a lot. I will say though that you have a much better GPA than I did. Good Luck!!

Retake the MCAT and crush it (32+); don't retake it until you're consistently scoring above 30's. SMP's are for students with low GPA's and incredibly expensive.

Your MCAT is the only thing stopping you from your dream.

If I were in your situation, I'd start getting my application ready to submit for MD and DO schools. (You could also mention there that you are planning on retaking your MCAT.) Once you take your MCAT in a few months, you can update schools with your new score. (If you don't have a higher MCAT score, then you would really only be a candidate for the DO schools as most MD schools may not cut you much slack due to your MCAT score). You should also shadow a DO in between and get a letter added in, if possible to do that after the application is submitted (I'm not sure). I think applying widely to a combo of MD and DO schools this year would give you the greatest chance of admission, especially if you can also re-take the MCAT. You'd be more likely to get into a DO school with your current numbers, but by applying widely you'll have the greatest chance of getting in hopefully at least somewhere.

You need to work on your interview skills too. It is very rare for someone to interview and then not make the wait list. You probably interviewed poorly too.

University of Florida (my state school) has taken pleny of 27 MCAT's so I think your application for your IS seems decent (which is why you got an interview). The real question imho is why you didnt get any love post interview. I think your interview skills are the fastest way to improve your chances at your IS and beefing up your EC's in the process. Retaking the MCAT is a riskier proposition. If you do worse they now have a trend to look at.