dentwannabe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
630
1
Status
thought i'd post this to vent a little.

yes, as the title reads I just got my rejection letter from UMDNJ, my last hope, top-choice, and my STATE SCHOOL.

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happends...".

My stats:

overall gpa: 3.01
sci: 2.96 (i had a bad year)

DAT: AA/TS/PAT: 22/23/16

Looks like its over for me this year. I also applied to BU, NYU, and TEMPLE. Dont plan on taking BU, NYU seriously... WAY too much debt. Temple rejected me without interview.

Well, I'll be doing this next year again, so I should continue being on this board. thanks for all the help and good luck to everyone.
 

Paps

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
32
0
Status
Sorry to hear....when did you get the letter????
 

LadyxJC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
326
0
Status
I'm sorry to hear that...

But why not give a second thought to NYU and BU? I know the they are way more expensive than UMDNJ but they are both good schools too~
 
About the Ads

sumozmom

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
460
0
Las Vegas
Status
Medical Student
Sorry to here - but you really won't go to the other if u get in b/c of $$$$?
 

Gone fishin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
69
0
Omaha
Status
Dental Student
I know that it is hard to stay positive in times like these, but try not to get too down. This is my third cycle in four years and I understand your feelings. As hard as it is, keep your head up and you will succeed. Today I got my break and have already been accepted to four schools, including my top choice.
 

jaerob

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
232
0
Status
I'd say if BU or NYU gave you love, you should just go. It'd be absolutely utterly and completely ******ed to pass it up just b/c of $$. If you had choices it'd be one thing, but if one of those two was the ONLY school to accept you then it's a no brainer. Only my honest opinion, though. Best of luck.
 

adr12

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
147
0
NC
Status
Dental Student
LadyxJC said:
I'm sorry to hear that...

But why not give a second thought to NYU and BU? I know the they are way more expensive than UMDNJ but they are both good schools too~
Agreed, I know they are very expensive, but with the salaries being made these days by dentists, you should be able to repay the loans. Just something to think about if BU or NYU comes through for you.
 

sumozmom

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
460
0
Las Vegas
Status
Medical Student
gone fishin -
what did u do diff this time? What are ur stats?
 

sumozmom

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
460
0
Las Vegas
Status
Medical Student
Gone fishin said:
I know that it is hard to stay positive in times like these, but try not to get too down. This is my third cycle in four years and I understand your feelings. As hard as it is, keep your head up and you will succeed. Today I got my break and have already been accepted to four schools, including my top choice.
gone fishin -
what did u do diff this time? What are ur stats?
 

dentdent

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
20
0
Status
Pre-Dental
what is gatewayto dentistry?
im sorry dentwannabe- schools can be evil like that.. giving interviews when they know they are going to make an unfavorable decision.. i am in the same boat as you - i got 2 interviews but my pat is really low.. we'll see what happpens :/
 

Lostinbul

Pray'n for a letter!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
303
0
Status
Sorry to hear about the bad news! Hang in there and things will work out!
 

headsup

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
112
1
Status
Pre-Dental
Sorry to hear that, but still if you do a little math, it makes more sense to go to BU or NYU;
Apply next year:
I assume you will not make alot of money during the year, lets say about 40K
also you'll spend a year of your life

but if you go to NYU or Bu this year, you'll probably have a 100K more debt after you finish which will be a year earlier than previous senario, and according the ADA you'll be making about 170K on average, so economically you'll compensate for the excess debt, but you'll end up with a year of experience which I think is invaluable.
So if money is your only issue, I think a year in life is more valuable than 100K, but if there is other issues, then good luck.

dentwannabe said:
thought i'd post this to vent a little.

yes, as the title reads I just got my rejection letter from UMDNJ, my last hope, top-choice, and my STATE SCHOOL.

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happends...".

My stats:

overall gpa: 3.01
sci: 2.96 (i had a bad year)

DAT: AA/TS/PAT: 22/23/16

Looks like its over for me this year. I also applied to BU, NYU, and TEMPLE. Dont plan on taking BU, NYU seriously... WAY too much debt. Temple rejected me without interview.

Well, I'll be doing this next year again, so I should continue being on this board. thanks for all the help and good luck to everyone.
 
About the Ads

Coolfishdent

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
55
0
36
MA but from NJ
Status
Dentdent, Gateway to dentistry is a program through UMDNJ for college students. It is offered each summer and in January.
 

Rezdawg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
1,617
2
Houston
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Sorry to hear the news, but my suggestion would be to go to NYU or BU if given the chance. In my opinion, that should be a no brainer. Good luck.
 

WhoooaaaBUNDY

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2004
233
0
Status
headsup said:
Sorry to hear that, but still if you do a little math, it makes more sense to go to BU or NYU;
Apply next year:
I assume you will not make alot of money during the year, lets say about 40K
also you'll spend a year of your life

but if you go to NYU or Bu this year, you'll probably have a 100K more debt after you finish which will be a year earlier than previous senario, and according the ADA you'll be making about 170K on average, so economically you'll compensate for the excess debt, but you'll end up with a year of experience which I think is invaluable.
So if money is your only issue, I think a year in life is more valuable than 100K, but if there is other issues, then good luck.
you beat me to it ... very good point.
 

phremius

Dentist
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
416
4
www.farfignugen.com
Status
1) sucks
2) not going to D school over not going to BU/NYU = stupid

so it's a good thing you're not going to dental school, we don't need stupids in the system.
 

polarnut

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
882
2
Los Angeles
Status
WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
you beat me to it ... very good point.
wake up buddy, november ended
 

polarnut

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
882
2
Los Angeles
Status
dentwannabe said:
thought i'd post this to vent a little.

yes, as the title reads I just got my rejection letter from UMDNJ, my last hope, top-choice, and my STATE SCHOOL.

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happends...".

My stats:

overall gpa: 3.01
sci: 2.96 (i had a bad year)

DAT: AA/TS/PAT: 22/23/16

Looks like its over for me this year. I also applied to BU, NYU, and TEMPLE. Dont plan on taking BU, NYU seriously... WAY too much debt. Temple rejected me without interview.

Well, I'll be doing this next year again, so I should continue being on this board. thanks for all the help and good luck to everyone.
ey man. i know it sux. suck it up and get ready for next year, you know? you keep on knocking and let those bastards know they made a mistake. let em know, buddy, let em know..
 

food4thots

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
644
0
Status
Dental Student
i was in a very similar situation as you last year.. i wanted to go to baylor, and i did get an interview there. but the interview was pretty short, and i got axed.. they didn't let me know until late april though.
 

E. coli

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
136
0
Status
dentwannabe said:
thought i'd post this to vent a little.

yes, as the title reads I just got my rejection letter from UMDNJ, my last hope, top-choice, and my STATE SCHOOL.

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happens...".

My stats:

overall gpa: 3.01
sci: 2.96 (i had a bad year)

DAT: AA/TS/PAT: 22/23/16

Looks like its over for me this year. I also applied to BU, NYU, and TEMPLE. Dont plan on taking BU, NYU seriously... WAY too much debt. Temple rejected me without interview.

Well, I'll be doing this next year again, so I should continue being on this board. thanks for all the help and good luck to everyone.
Sorry to hear about your rejection. But I think you should definitely consider BU and NYU if you are given an acceptance. One year is a long time to waste when you could be going to school.

I know it's a lot of debt, but are you in dentistry because of the money or the profession itself, which is to provide the best oral care to patients. Also, I understand that more debt means it will take a longer period to pay back, but you will still be enjoying a higher quality of life with dentistry than most other professions.
 

dentwannabe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
630
1
Status
thanks for the support everyone!

yea i guess i was just being emotional. i will consider NYU and BYU ... IF they accept me though. and so far i havent heard a word from either of them.

you know what, its their LOSS in rejecting me.

again, thanks to all, and good luck.
 
About the Ads