Rejected.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentwannabe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thought i'd post this to vent a little.

yes, as the title reads I just got my rejection letter from UMDNJ, my last hope, top-choice, and my STATE SCHOOL.

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happends...".

My stats:

overall gpa: 3.01
sci: 2.96 (i had a bad year)

DAT: AA/TS/PAT: 22/23/16

Looks like its over for me this year. I also applied to BU, NYU, and TEMPLE. Dont plan on taking BU, NYU seriously... WAY too much debt. Temple rejected me without interview.

Well, I'll be doing this next year again, so I should continue being on this board. thanks for all the help and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear....when did you get the letter????

I'm sorry to hear that...

But why not give a second thought to NYU and BU? I know the they are way more expensive than UMDNJ but they are both good schools too~

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to here - but you really won't go to the other if u get in b/c of $$$$?

I know that it is hard to stay positive in times like these, but try not to get too down. This is my third cycle in four years and I understand your feelings. As hard as it is, keep your head up and you will succeed. Today I got my break and have already been accepted to four schools, including my top choice.

I'd say if BU or NYU gave you love, you should just go. It'd be absolutely utterly and completely ******ed to pass it up just b/c of $$. If you had choices it'd be one thing, but if one of those two was the ONLY school to accept you then it's a no brainer. Only my honest opinion, though. Best of luck.

LadyxJC said:
I'm sorry to hear that...

But why not give a second thought to NYU and BU? I know the they are way more expensive than UMDNJ but they are both good schools too~
Agreed, I know they are very expensive, but with the salaries being made these days by dentists, you should be able to repay the loans. Just something to think about if BU or NYU comes through for you.

gone fishin -
what did u do diff this time? What are ur stats?

Gone fishin said:
I know that it is hard to stay positive in times like these, but try not to get too down. This is my third cycle in four years and I understand your feelings. As hard as it is, keep your head up and you will succeed. Today I got my break and have already been accepted to four schools, including my top choice.
gone fishin -
what did u do diff this time? What are ur stats?

I'm so sorry! Its my first choice too. Did you do Gateway to Dentistry?

what is gatewayto dentistry?
im sorry dentwannabe- schools can be evil like that.. giving interviews when they know they are going to make an unfavorable decision.. i am in the same boat as you - i got 2 interviews but my pat is really low.. we'll see what happpens :/

Sorry to hear about the bad news! Hang in there and things will work out!

Sorry to hear that, but still if you do a little math, it makes more sense to go to BU or NYU;
Apply next year:
I assume you will not make alot of money during the year, lets say about 40K
also you'll spend a year of your life

but if you go to NYU or Bu this year, you'll probably have a 100K more debt after you finish which will be a year earlier than previous senario, and according the ADA you'll be making about 170K on average, so economically you'll compensate for the excess debt, but you'll end up with a year of experience which I think is invaluable.
So if money is your only issue, I think a year in life is more valuable than 100K, but if there is other issues, then good luck.

dentwannabe said:

yes, as the title reads I just got my rejection letter from UMDNJ, my last hope, top-choice, and my STATE SCHOOL.

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happends...".

My stats:

Looks like its over for me this year. I also applied to BU, NYU, and TEMPLE. Dont plan on taking BU, NYU seriously... WAY too much debt. Temple rejected me without interview.

Well, I'll be doing this next year again, so I should continue being on this board. thanks for all the help and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentdent, Gateway to dentistry is a program through UMDNJ for college students. It is offered each summer and in January.

Sorry to hear the news, but my suggestion would be to go to NYU or BU if given the chance. In my opinion, that should be a no brainer. Good luck.

headsup said:
Sorry to hear that, but still if you do a little math, it makes more sense to go to BU or NYU;
Apply next year:
I assume you will not make alot of money during the year, lets say about 40K
also you'll spend a year of your life

but if you go to NYU or Bu this year, you'll probably have a 100K more debt after you finish which will be a year earlier than previous senario, and according the ADA you'll be making about 170K on average, so economically you'll compensate for the excess debt, but you'll end up with a year of experience which I think is invaluable.
So if money is your only issue, I think a year in life is more valuable than 100K, but if there is other issues, then good luck.

you beat me to it ... very good point.

1) sucks
2) not going to D school over not going to BU/NYU = stupid

so it's a good thing you're not going to dental school, we don't need stupids in the system.

dentwannabe said:

My stats:

ey man. i know it sux. suck it up and get ready for next year, you know? you keep on knocking and let those bastards know they made a mistake. let em know, buddy, let em know..

i was in a very similar situation as you last year.. i wanted to go to baylor, and i did get an interview there. but the interview was pretty short, and i got axed.. they didn't let me know until late april though.

Coolfishdent said:
I'm so sorry! Its my first choice too. Did you do Gateway to Dentistry?

did u do gateway to dentistry?

dentwannabe said:

i interviewed there in nov. and loved it. school seemed great clinically, which is what i wanted. i thought my interview went well, BUT IT WAS VERY SHORT. when i asked him "well, do you want to know about my gpa?".. he said, "yes well, its ok, dont worry, it happens...".

My stats:

Sorry to hear about your rejection. But I think you should definitely consider BU and NYU if you are given an acceptance. One year is a long time to waste when you could be going to school.

I know it's a lot of debt, but are you in dentistry because of the money or the profession itself, which is to provide the best oral care to patients. Also, I understand that more debt means it will take a longer period to pay back, but you will still be enjoying a higher quality of life with dentistry than most other professions.

thanks for the support everyone!

yea i guess i was just being emotional. i will consider NYU and BYU ... IF they accept me though. and so far i havent heard a word from either of them.

you know what, its their LOSS in rejecting me.

again, thanks to all, and good luck.