rejection after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone gotten rejected after an interview? or does an interview mean you're already pretty close?

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone gotten rejected after an interview? or does an interview mean you're already pretty close?

Yes to both, but not quite. There's a high chance of getting rejected if you don't perform well in the interview.

How would a person not perform well on an interview? Would it be just not knowing things about the school/optometry, etc.? taking too much time to answer a question? If you're stuck on a question and have to think about it.. what do u say to the admissions person for extra time?

Members don't see this ad :)
How would a person not perform well on an interview? Would it be just not knowing things about the school/optometry, etc.? taking too much time to answer a question? If you're stuck on a question and have to think about it.. what do u say to the admissions person for extra time?

One can do many things (unintentionally or intentionally) to get rejected.
For instance:
1. Act ******ed
2. Display a total lack of personality and charisma
3. Stutter consistently or intermittently
4. Possess an absolute zero or close to zero knowledge about optometry
5. Taking unusually long amount of time to answer a question
6. Use foul language
7. Inappropriate hand signals
8. Not wearing enough cloths

Others feel free to add to the list. :thumbup:

It may help clarify things if you look at it as though there is only one real question being asked in the interview and that is "Why should I pick you over all of the other candidates?" You have to sell yourself and tell them what is unique about you that you could contribute to the class. All of the other questions are asked just to give them a part answer to the big question.

One can do many things (unintentionally or intentionally) to get rejected.
For instance:
1. Act ******ed
...SNIP...

Others feel free to add to the list. :thumbup:

9. Use the word "******ed" in a completely inappropriate and insensitive way.

there are plenty of ppl that, although they do well in school and look great on paper, are sticks in person. optometry, or just about any profession, incurs a great deal of communication and empathy; optometry schools are also looking for good O.D.'s and if you can't communicate well or cannot show that you care for people and your patients, then they probably don't want you and they'll know by the end of your interview

UC Berkeley invited 121 people out to their interview day. About half of the people there are going to be rejected (crossing my fingers). I have to say that nearly everyone there that day seemed extremely nice. In this case, you wouldn't have to "act retarted", or "show little knowledge of optometry" to get rejected--they are looking for something special.

I've heard from interviewers that some students being interviewed would say they are applying to opt school because they didnt get into medical school...BAD idea

during my interview, i was asked whether i had considered any other professions.

i was honest and told them that as a realistic person, i like to keep my doors open. i had considered medicine and dentistry before, but after some shadowing experience i realized it wasnt for me. those experiences instilled confidence that optometry was what I wanted to do... and that I can now walk into optometry with no regrets.

i think they were happy that i have explored other things out there, not just optometry.

I've heard from interviewers that some students being interviewed would say they are applying to opt school because they didnt get into medical school...BAD idea

werd.gif

i agree with the idiot comment. i also got the other profession question. i told them about how i wanted pharmacy, but didnt like it after working there and thats why i took time to do a masters while finishing pre opt prerequisites. i think my interviewer appreciate the honesty.

well i guess we know why they didnt get into med school
i used to be premed and told them the same..that i worked at a hospital and i didnt like the interaction between doctor and patients & between dr & dr. honesty & sincerity is all that matters

On this note, has anyone heard from Berkeley yet?

my interview with suny was rough. they kept asking me why not medicine and wouldnt let it go. they told me i contradicted myself. gosh i feel so lo about it. what do you guy think?? they didmt even give me a chance to explain my opto exposure. :confused: